Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2022, 05:15 PM   #1

Redhawk 24B Towing Capacity

Just bought a 2022 Jayco Redhawk 24B (sorry to hear about the users recently having slide issues).

The literature in several locations states 7,500 towing capacity. The salesman suggested I did not exceed 5,000 and the 7,500 is an inflated number. I am wanting to tow a F150 supercrew with a curb weight of 5,900.

Can someone help me decide if this is doable? If I cant use the Ford F150, I will have to Dolly-tow a 2017 Sienna Minivan.

Thank in advance.

EDIT: Sorry! I listed this in the wrong group. I listed in Super C by mistake! First post, and I mucked it up.
srt5321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 10:59 PM   #2

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...nts-94601.html

The above thread is my honest opinion to your question. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I am most likely selling my rig for this primary reason, the poor towing.

I think the slide out problems are a solvable issue with beefier tracks, or adding a third track to each side, etc.

But the realistic towing experience I cannot see as a solvable problem. I haven't tried the +5 degree alignment yet though, so I'll throw that hail marry pass before completely giving up.
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:32 AM   #3

I have an Entegra 25r, less than 2' longer than the 24b
Just seems strange that the 24b would tow so bad.
I have a Honda pilot, about 4500#, tows like a dream. Sure some wind and 18W passing can effect it but that's normal.

Besides the extra 1000# + of the f150 I wouldn't hesitate to tow it on mine

Like Ive read a lot,most of the Toad tow issues are usually the toad or the setup....not level tow bars etc

Good luck either way
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:41 AM   #4

I also have an Entegra Odyssey 25R (2022). I've made no suspension adjustments other than to tighten down the rear helper springs. I've flat towed a 2000 Lexus LX470 (5400 lbs) from Phoenix to Lake Powell R/T, twice (1200 miles total). Hilly interstate and two lane highways with lots of big rig traffic.

At speeds up to 60 mph, there are no unexpected issues. Yes, everyone (driver and passengers) can definitely tell that something is back there, but two light hands on the steering wheel are fine. Going faster (65-70), gusty winds, lots of big rig traffic, will all increase the frequency of steering corrections needed and negatively impact passenger comfort. But the easy fix is to slow down.

I know there are recommended suspension mods to improve the handling and I'm assessing what order I want to do them in, but I'm in no rush to do so as the current handling is acceptable.
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
I have an Entegra 25r, less than 2' longer than the 24b
Just seems strange that the 24b would tow so bad.
I have a Honda pilot, about 4500#, tows like a dream. Sure some wind and 18W passing can effect it but that's normal.

Besides the extra 1000# + of the f150 I wouldn't hesitate to tow it on mine

Like Ive read a lot,most of the Toad tow issues are usually the toad or the setup....not level tow bars etc

Good luck either way
Quote:
Originally Posted by ait109 View Post
I also have an Entegra Odyssey 25R (2022). I've made no suspension adjustments other than to tighten down the rear helper springs. I've flat towed a 2000 Lexus LX470 (5400 lbs) from Phoenix to Lake Powell R/T, twice (1200 miles total). Hilly interstate and two lane highways with lots of big rig traffic.

At speeds up to 60 mph, there are no unexpected issues. Yes, everyone (driver and passengers) can definitely tell that something is back there, but two light hands on the steering wheel are fine. Going faster (65-70), gusty winds, lots of big rig traffic, will all increase the frequency of steering corrections needed and negatively impact passenger comfort. But the easy fix is to slow down.

I know there are recommended suspension mods to improve the handling and I'm assessing what order I want to do them in, but I'm in no rush to do so as the current handling is acceptable.
Hearing this, there must be a piece I am still missing regarding towing. Thanks for your insights.
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:18 AM   #6

I have a 2018 Greyhawk 31fs ,,and regularly tow a 25 ft double axle car hauling trailer, loaded it weighs 5,200 lbs. And with the V-10 it tows the load in the Tennessee mountains with no problems. ( 4:56 rear gear ratio, 6 speed transmission). This is my #3 class “C” and is the best so far…….
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazear View Post
Hearing this, there must be a piece I am still missing regarding towing. Thanks for your insights.
What are u missing.. elaborate
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote