Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #21

Gracias. Been doing a lot of research on our next rig. Jayco has the floorplan I like but would love azdel and fiberglass roof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum.
biggdave92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #22

We went with the greyhawk 30X because of the large single slide out, the jride plus and the extra tow capacity of 7500 lbs.
nancyxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torker2 View Post
Hi, new to this forum....
My wife and I are looking to purchase a 2018 or 2019 Redhawk 26XD in the spring.
Looking for anyone who has one and what their experiences were with it in the first year or 2, good and bad.
Any issues right away or shortly after purchase?
Also, if anyone thinks its worth it to spend more to go up to a Greyhawk, please chime in with you reasons.
Have one, 2018, purchased in Feb. Only mods, added an steering stabilizer because the OEM is worthless and had too much play. Rides quiet and very stable. We love it. We really like the Floor plan and picked this size because makes us more mobile. Plenty of power. The cons, just like any other RV these days construction is not ideal.’many loose cable in the under carriage that I had to zip tie, main door extender, the shock absorber that keeps the main door open, the mounts are not the greatest. Anyhow, if you do your inspections before and after use, properly maintained and lubed, will last you for years, don’t neglect your maintenance because these systems are very fragile and won’t take abuse. That is true for all in the market now. Other than that we love it. We traded a Freedom Express 276 RBKS TT for it. The 15 k AC is plenty enough too. Doesn’t come with the hydraulic jacks but we bought a set of 4 tower jacks and the unit is so stable that many times we don’t deploy them.’
rs3678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #24

Hi Torker2, We bought a 2018 Redhawk 26xd. Generally happy with the unit Given that most units will have problems. Here's my list: 1. Loud hum at 55 to 65 MPH - when Jayco stretches the chassis, they change the angle of the drive shaft causing the loud hum. They are supposed to out in shims to correct the angle but didn't. We had to take it to a Ford truck depot for correction. Jayco paid for it, but very annoying
2. Air conditioning vents blow sawdust. They were never vacuumed.
3. Battery cable for the shore battery was very loose and came un done. The cable was way too short.
4. Furnace shut off repeatedly. Bad propane regulator.
5. Jacks chatter when retracting.
6. Window over couch didn't lock. Had to be replaced.
7. Seat belts in the dinette were extremely, way too long. Very unsafe. Jayco replaced.
8. Water pump leaked.
9. Hot water tank leaked
Jayco did honor all these warranty issues. But they take too long to repair. Their QA is not what it used to be.
If you want more if and some tips, email at John.Edson.Stagg@gmail.com. I'd be happy to share further experiences.
JEdsonStagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #25

We have redhawk 26xd

Very pleased. 1 year old now and have 10000 miles on it. Live in Mich and take to az in winter besides side trips. Ours is 2018 on2017 chassis. Dealer installed slide awnings, extra house battery and satellite dome to get my business. I am taking coach to truck repair to have new bushings installed so castor can be adjusted to +5. This should help with side winds in western states.
Problems, water pump failure and ground wire to hydraulic Jack's came disconnected. So in one year, no biggies.
Usmade56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs3678 View Post
Have one, 2018, purchased in Feb. Only mods, added an steering stabilizer because the OEM is worthless and had too much play. Rides quiet and very stable. We love it. We really like the Floor plan and picked this size because makes us more mobile. Plenty of power. The cons, just like any other RV these days construction is not ideal.’many loose cable in the under carriage that I had to zip tie, main door extender, the shock absorber that keeps the main door open, the mounts are not the greatest. Anyhow, if you do your inspections before and after use, properly maintained and lubed, will last you for years, don’t neglect your maintenance because these systems are very fragile and won’t take abuse. That is true for all in the market now. Other than that we love it. We traded a Freedom Express 276 RBKS TT for it. The 15 k AC is plenty enough too. Doesn’t come with the hydraulic jacks but we bought a set of 4 tower jacks and the unit is so stable that many times we don’t deploy them.’
Does Ford do the steering stabilizers or RV dealership? Cost?
Torker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #27

I plan on installing a fan in the ceiling vent over the slide bed. How did you route your wires to the fan. I was planning on a peel and stick wire cover from 12v fuse holder 7 which I am told only has the awning motor and compartment light on it. Any photos? Thanks.
2016 gRedHawk
klirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:23 AM   #28
Site Team

I was told that in order to adjust the castor from factory spec, I needed to replace the bushings so it could be properly aligned. A local private shop charged around $500. for the work and alignment.

I couldn't be happier with the work and price. I shopped around and was not shocked to find a wide range of estimates to do the same work.

Mine is a F350.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:30 AM   #29

I own a 2018 RedHawk 26X1 (Chevy chassis). I've got about 11K mi on it. The unit has been fine till recently: Water Heater problem caused by spider web which shorted out the thermocoupler.?? (my fault according to the dealer for not cleaing the air valve). Backup camera is kaput.
I previously owned a Jayflight trailer which appears to be built much sturdier than the MH. Regarding my issues, GreyHawk uses same parts so I can't say that I would have avoided these issues. BTW my avg mpg is 9.3
FrenchieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #30

Yes I need to replace bushings. 1st place I went to checked and castor was 0 and couldn't be adjusted. They estimated 700.00 for job. I'm going elsewhere.
Usmade56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #31

Just for reference, my total for bushings, installation and alignment, with tax, was $272.45.

Independent shop with an experienced front end mechanic who understands these things and has the correct equipment to align them.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #32

Klirg, Yes, I pulled power from the compartment light under the bed. It is on the circuit with the awning motor. I couldn't find an unswitched power source near the bedroom ceiling.

Ran the wires into the chase forward of the bed, then up along side the cabinet next to the wall, then back along the ceiling still next to the wall to a ninety over to the fan.

I did use the stick on stuff. My DW gave it final approval so it passed the appearance test and works good. If you use the stick on, stop by a auto parts store any get some 3M adhesion promoter pads. Use them on the surface before applying the stick on.

Good luck with your project.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #33

rs3678, You talk about a set of 4 tower jacks. What are they and how do you mount and use them?
mcole9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #34

My alignment was $118. and Busing and install was $232 Total $350 Just came back from 3 wk trip and 1220 mile pulling crv and Rv handled good. Dont feel it needs any other handling fixes. Do plan to add tire Man valve stems soon. Do a search for front end alignment and you will find lots of info.
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #35

Hi Mike and Diane-

We just purchased a 2019 Greyhawk 26Y. I am very curious about your front mounted spare tire. We plan to tow a Jeep Wrangler and would prefer not to mount off the back bumper. We've been thinking, "where in the heck will we mount a spare" and I'm guessing you just solved our problem! Any additional details that you could provide and/or photo would be very much appreciated!

Also, could you elaborate a little more on "front end aligned with caster set up to 4.9/5.1 degrees". Is this something that was added during the alignment? Or a setting during the alignment? And what benefit do you see from this.

Thanks in advance!
Jason and Lusha Evans
jasoev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #36

Hi Jason and Lusha,

Congratulations on your new motorhome.

I used a front mount hitch receiver (Draw-Tite) and a hitch mount spare tire carrier (Curt) to put my spare up front. I sourced both items as well as a tire cover from etrailer.com for about $200. Check their web site for lots of pictures and installation info on both items. You will need to locally source three 1/2" bolts with nuts & washers to mount your wheel to the carrier.

I think moving weight forward helps improve the balance of these motorhomes. There is some concern about the tire restricting airflow over the radiator into the engine compartment. I have not experienced any abnormal engine coolant temps. It is something to be aware of and keep an eye on though.

These motorhomes seem to drive best with at least 5 degrees of caster. Mine was difficult to keep straight in the travel lane constantly darting to the left and right. Alignment showed I had 3.1 degrees left side and 4.1 right side. Caster adjustment on these twin I beam suspensions is accomplished by installing offset bushings to effectively change the kingpin angle. So, the alignment tech got mine to 4.9/5.1 and it drives much better. Hard to believe such a small adjustment would make such a big difference, but it did. The bushings, with installation, cost me $150. The alignment was $100. The price will go up if the tech has the adjust the bushings more than once to get the correct settings.

If you decide to have yours aligned, try to find a shop/tech that is familiar with these front ends and make sure they are willing to do the work to install the new bushings and that they understand you want caster set to at least 5 degrees. Finally, be sure to get the alignment report sheet so you know exactly what the before and after readings are.

Good luck and I apologize to the OP. Did not intend to hijack the thread.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #37

Hello, just bought a 2019 Redhawk 25R, I am new to Jayco and this site. This is my 3rd coach. I am assuming my TV/DVD cutoff is same as yours. I wanted to know how and where to disconnect the cutoff wire to the TV outlet, as had same issue with my (POS!) Thor! want the family to watch TV when I am driving.

Thanks,

JohnyNorthland
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:56 PM   #38

Pull the outlet out and cut the red wire?
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #39

Congratulations on the Redhawk and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #40

Replacing the folding bed?

In the models with the slide and the folding bed....

First thing I do is replace the mattress, it’s awful uncomfortable, but how do you do that in a folding mattress for the slide?

Thanks,
Lynn