Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #1

Redhawk 26XD '18 or'19

Hi, new to this forum....
My wife and I are looking to purchase a 2018 or 2019 Redhawk 26XD in the spring.
Looking for anyone who has one and what their experiences were with it in the first year or 2, good and bad.
Any issues right away or shortly after purchase?
Also, if anyone thinks its worth it to spend more to go up to a Greyhawk, please chime in with you reasons.
Torker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. There are a number of Red/Greyhawk on this site and you will probably hear from some of them soon.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #3

Have a 2017 26xd purchased in 6/2017. have 5k miles on it. Only issue I had was medicine cabinet and fixed it my self. Did add slide out covers and spare tire on rear bumper. Had alignment with caster set at +4.5 and handles well with no other handling fixes. Now heres some mistakes we made in choosing this rv. I am 5'4 and dw 5'2. Everything is high is this model. We have to use a folding stool to see into freezer, to see the controls on Microwave and to get into the bed and to reach top shelf in cabinet over sink. No ladder for bunk. Storage in and out is adquate. We just returned from 3 wk trip and have learned to make things work. I pull a crv and v10 has more than enough power.
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torker2 View Post
Hi, new to this forum....
My wife and I are looking to purchase a 2018 or 2019 Redhawk 26XD in the spring.
Looking for anyone who has one and what their experiences were with it in the first year or 2, good and bad.
Any issues right away or shortly after purchase?
Also, if anyone thinks its worth it to spend more to go up to a Greyhawk, please chime in with you reasons.
Welcome...your in the right place to find out anything and everything about Greyhawks / Redhawks.

We have a Greyhawk and what we liked about the Greyhawks vs Redhawks were a couple of very important features.

Greyhawks have fiberglass roofs vs rubber on the Redhawks. Rubber needs to be treated every 6 months to prevent drying out. Still a good roof just not as easy to maintain or won't last as long as fiberglass.

Greyhawks have the JRide suspension as standard equipment which Redhawks have a similar JRide option but with a little less. Greyhawks get bilstein shocks and heavy duty rear stabilizer bar. Not available on Redhawks.

Greyhawks get hydraulic leveling jacks standard again like Jride is optional on Reds.

Two 11k air conditioners with Power Management System are a option on Greyhawks...not available on Reds.

The list of differences goes on an on...just be sure to look at the standard features of both and remember that upgrades can always be done later but will usually cost more.

Good luck with your choice! Both are great units and at the end of the day do basically the same thing...get your family out camping!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #5

We ordered a 2019 Redhawk 26XD in late March and received it in May. Main reason for ordering instead of purchasing a 2018 was that we wanted factory installed hydraulic levelers included and could not find a 2018 so equipped.

This is our fourth RV so we knew pretty much what we wanted. We were down to the Redhawk or 26Y Greyhawk. I decided on the Redhawk because of the significant weight advantage. Our CCC is 2882 pounds.

We have done several in state trips and just returned from a 3,600+ mile trip to Maine.
Only problems to date, (1) the hydraulic leveling system would not power up in CT. Found the ground cable on the pump motor broken at the connector. Did a jury rig fix that worked until we got home, then fixed it properly and (2) the USB port and one DC power port on the dash are inoperative. Fuses are good, so will leave that for the dealer when we do our warranty visit this winter. The only other issue I have is that the outside door fit is not good. I have adjusted it to work pretty well, but it looks bad from a fit standpoint. Will address that at our warranty visit.

So far, I have had the front end aligned with caster set up to 4.9/5.1 degrees and installed Helwig front and rear sway bars. Installed a Maxx Air remote control fan in the bedroom. Rigged a spare tire using an e-bay wheel and walmart.com tire and installed a front hitch receiver for a Curt spare tire carrier.

So far, we are happy with our purchase decision. At the price point, I think the Redhawk represents a good value for the money.

As for the rubber roof, in 20 years of RVing in three other rubber roof units, we have never had a roof problem.

We did camp in some high 90 degree, humid Arkansas weather in June/July and the 15,000 BTU AC worked hard but did keep us comfortable.

Best of luck whichever way you go. Feel free to contact me if you have specific questions.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:38 PM   #6

I bought my 2018 greyhawk 26Y for the price of 26xd with paying extra 2k. Took us 5 days to drive home from Tampa, Florida to Sacramento. I love everything about 26y except for heavy duty rubber storage compartments.
qnghiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the responses....helps out so much....one option we want for sure is the auto leveling jacks but the dealership in my city seems to always order a couple with that option.
Will do more research on the rubber roofs vs fiberglass.
Can someone explain the front end caster setup? I am not familiar with that. Is the factory setting not good enough?
Also, did no ones RV come with a spare tire?!
Old 08-15-2018, 08:53 PM   #8

I've taken a number of short trips (500 or less round trip) and a 4,600 mile. We tow a Honda Odyssey 85% of the time. Here's the main parts I'd report:

1) Hydraulic leveler ground cable broke - rigged and then fixed with short battery cable at Walmart
2) tank heater pad coming off - need to attach
3) the side cameras sound good, but more trouble then benefit. Mine always had dew inside the lens making them unusable. In this last trip to Moab, UT they finally cleared up. Maybe the 11% humidity, 105 degrees and low air pressure did something to the seals. Even still, the mirrors are better and the camera takes over guidance/directions making me want to disconnect the wires
4) The front seats is not for everyone. The headrest comes out at (can't be moved) and gives her back an awkward arch. She's 5'7" or so. It doesn't bother me at 6'2". The accelerator seems to be further to the right than other vehicles. Due to cramped quarters the way my leg is angled to reach the accelerator my kneecap really starts hurting after a few hours.
5) Mine was delivered in Jan and must have been run through salt roads. I have a number of corrosion locations that need to be addressed such as hydraulic connectors/motor and wires. A number of wires were over crimped exposing metal (rubber cut through) and those are corroding as well. Need to be cut and spliced. If you buy one make sure you go under and paint any exposed metal and spray some sealant like Fluid Film
6) Drawers, drawers, drawers. I've had bearings fall out because the rails are too wide and others that need to be re-adjusted to close flat.
7) the norcold fridge in this unit isn't as good as the one I had in a previous unit. It needs to be very close to level to get cold (previous unit was more tolerant to a few degrees off) and it doesn't seem to get as cold or hold the temp as well.
8) the awning is very slow and on our unit pretty small
9) rain guards on the side of the unit are not continuous; black water drip streaks occur on the side of the unit where guards leak - fix with some dicor
10) shower head was leaking, just replaced with an Amazon one
11) replaced master bed with memory foam as soon as we purchased unit. On mine the slide goes into the master bed (slide is all drawers/cabinets). I had to cut an extra 3-4" off memory foam mattress as the slide compressed the original egg crate they call a mattress, but the memory foam is much more sturdy. didn't want to burn the slide motor up trying to push the memory foam. My feet stick off the bed a good 6-7", but that doesn't bother me as it does some.
12) the fabric on the dinning cushions is wearing through. Between the metal brackets holding the frame and wood support in the cushion, there will be holes within a year.
13) drawer under oven falls down when you open it. They have some horrible puzzle of wood to keep the drawer aligned that easily came lose. Need to fix.
14) at some point you need to replace most of the outside screws as they are not stainless steel and will rust/break

Few changes completed
1) put in fantastic fan and roof cover
2) put in cyclone toppers for grey/black tanks
3) disconnected the cutoff wire for the front tv/dvd (outlet cuts off power when in drive). DVD still skips on bumps so need to fix that.

It does not come with a spare tire. Almost all jacks won't lift the unit so if you get a flat you'll need a mechanic to come out. I keep GoodSam for that. Some people carry spares just so they are not gouged for a tire.

fiberglass vs rubber; I'm sure more experienced RVrs have a better opinion, but I don't think it matters. Most owners won't have the unit long enough before either starts having issues.

misc;
- get 2 AC units, 1 one cool enough in 90+ heat
- change out the mattress first thing
- I'd get the levelers. enjoy being at the destination, not trying to be level or bounce around on the shocks
- its loud up front with the engine and AC going full
- if it bothers you a little when you are looking at the unit, it will most likely bother you more when you in it for a week or more although some of that is just the RV life (water pressure, storage under the slides, small shower)

That may be a bunch of stuff, but overall we are happy with the unit. I'm pretty handy so I'll fix everything unless its a large enough cost to take the unit into the dealer. I just avoid them as much as possible. We went for the Grey over the red for a number of small things like the levelers, sold surface kitchen and sink covers, sky light in main area and a number of other cosmetic changes. I think navigation was one of items as well. I think the red vs grey question is just personal preference more than anything else.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post

misc;
- get 2 AC units,
He will have a problem here if he goes Redhawk...two air conditioner option is not available.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #10

Two A/C not an available option on the Grayhawk 26Y which I believe is the floor plan the OP is considering.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUSNRet View Post
Two A/C not an available option on the Grayhawk 26Y which I believe is the floor plan the OP is considering.
You are correct but the point I was trying to make is there are no Redhawk floorplans available with 2 a/c option...only some Greyhawks offer that.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #12

Hello Torker2. We just picked up our Redhawk 26XD in June so my comments won't be as detailed as others. This is our first RV and we've been looking at various models for the past year trying to decide. We kept coming back to the 26XD. We knew how the 26XD's were being priced, so when we saw an end-of-model-year price as low as the used 2016's, we made the move. The floorplan and length were perfect for us. Not sure, but I don't think Greyhawks are available at 28'. We've been on 3 trips to state parks in 90 - 95 degree temperatures. I have about 2000 miles on it, including a 400 mile drive from Connecticut (where I purchased it) to my home. If money and length (my wife is still getting over the "terror" of driving anything this big?!?), weren't an issue, I would have gone with the Greyhawk for the reasons listed above. But having used the 26XD over the past 2 months, I think we made the correct decision going with the Redhawk.

The single AC has been more than adequate even at the high temps we've experienced. Never felt uncomfortable and the vents provide more than enough air flow to both ends of the unit. Being new at this, maybe I don't know enough to see the inconvenience of leveling on blocks. I bought a LevelMate Pro and it makes leveling very easy. It takes me about 5 minutes to level. I must be use to sleeping on rocks or something because I find the OEM mattress fairly comfortable. With few exceptions, all the other systems function correctly.

The few issues I've had have been fairly minor. I had a problem with the center panels coming apart from the cabinet frames (thanks CabinetMaker, your solution worked well!). It does Wander over 60mph - that will be my first serious modification. Like CamperBob, my biggest concern is a front tire blow out at high speed. The entrance door was tough to open / close but I adjusted the plate and that corrected the issue. My bathroom door is hard to keep closed but from reading post here, I think it's because I park my rig in my driveway, on a 12 degree slope and the door has "settled" at that angle.

I won't count this purchase as a success for a few more months but for the first 2 months of ownership I'm very happy with the purchase.
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #13

3 things that sold us/me on the greyhawk vs the redhawk were the roof material, the J-Ride Plus, and the 2 air conditioners.

My trailer had a rubber roof, and I always worried about it; though I never had a problem. The fiberglass roof on the Greyhawk is "maintenance free". You still have to check the seals and add lap sealant as necessary, but I plan to put Eternabond up there to eliminate even that.

Many of the components to the J-Ride Plus can be added, but it's nice that they're already there on the Greyhawks.

Living in TX, 1 AC unit was a deal breaker for us. Gotta have 2 to stay cool down here.

These and several other "little" things led to us going with the Greyhawk. Really, the Redhawks are nice rigs, and it's getting the right floorplan that's most important IMO.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
I've taken a number of short trips (500 or less round trip) and a 4,600 mile. We tow a Honda Odyssey 85% of the time. Here's the main parts I'd report:

1) Hydraulic leveler ground cable broke - rigged and then fixed with short battery cable at Walmart
2) tank heater pad coming off - need to attach
3) the side cameras sound good, but more trouble then benefit. Mine always had dew inside the lens making them unusable. In this last trip to Moab, UT they finally cleared up. Maybe the 11% humidity, 105 degrees and low air pressure did something to the seals. Even still, the mirrors are better and the camera takes over guidance/directions making me want to disconnect the wires
4) The front seats is not for everyone. The headrest comes out at (can't be moved) and gives her back an awkward arch. She's 5'7" or so. It doesn't bother me at 6'2". The accelerator seems to be further to the right than other vehicles. Due to cramped quarters the way my leg is angled to reach the accelerator my kneecap really starts hurting after a few hours.
5) Mine was delivered in Jan and must have been run through salt roads. I have a number of corrosion locations that need to be addressed such as hydraulic connectors/motor and wires. A number of wires were over crimped exposing metal (rubber cut through) and those are corroding as well. Need to be cut and spliced. If you buy one make sure you go under and paint any exposed metal and spray some sealant like Fluid Film
6) Drawers, drawers, drawers. I've had bearings fall out because the rails are too wide and others that need to be re-adjusted to close flat.
7) the norcold fridge in this unit isn't as good as the one I had in a previous unit. It needs to be very close to level to get cold (previous unit was more tolerant to a few degrees off) and it doesn't seem to get as cold or hold the temp as well.
8) the awning is very slow and on our unit pretty small
9) rain guards on the side of the unit are not continuous; black water drip streaks occur on the side of the unit where guards leak - fix with some dicor
10) shower head was leaking, just replaced with an Amazon one
11) replaced master bed with memory foam as soon as we purchased unit. On mine the slide goes into the master bed (slide is all drawers/cabinets). I had to cut an extra 3-4" off memory foam mattress as the slide compressed the original egg crate they call a mattress, but the memory foam is much more sturdy. didn't want to burn the slide motor up trying to push the memory foam. My feet stick off the bed a good 6-7", but that doesn't bother me as it does some.
12) the fabric on the dinning cushions is wearing through. Between the metal brackets holding the frame and wood support in the cushion, there will be holes within a year.
13) drawer under oven falls down when you open it. They have some horrible puzzle of wood to keep the drawer aligned that easily came lose. Need to fix.
14) at some point you need to replace most of the outside screws as they are not stainless steel and will rust/break

Few changes completed
1) put in fantastic fan and roof cover
2) put in cyclone toppers for grey/black tanks
3) disconnected the cutoff wire for the front tv/dvd (outlet cuts off power when in drive). DVD still skips on bumps so need to fix that.

It does not come with a spare tire. Almost all jacks won't lift the unit so if you get a flat you'll need a mechanic to come out. I keep GoodSam for that. Some people carry spares just so they are not gouged for a tire.

fiberglass vs rubber; I'm sure more experienced RVrs have a better opinion, but I don't think it matters. Most owners won't have the unit long enough before either starts having issues.

misc;
- get 2 AC units, 1 one cool enough in 90+ heat
- change out the mattress first thing
- I'd get the levelers. enjoy being at the destination, not trying to be level or bounce around on the shocks
- its loud up front with the engine and AC going full
- if it bothers you a little when you are looking at the unit, it will most likely bother you more when you in it for a week or more although some of that is just the RV life (water pressure, storage under the slides, small shower)

That may be a bunch of stuff, but overall we are happy with the unit. I'm pretty handy so I'll fix everything unless its a large enough cost to take the unit into the dealer. I just avoid them as much as possible. We went for the Grey over the red for a number of small things like the levelers, sold surface kitchen and sink covers, sky light in main area and a number of other cosmetic changes. I think navigation was one of items as well. I think the red vs grey question is just personal preference more than anything else.
wow, that's quite a bit wrong for an RV that's going to cost me 105K CND.
Plus our plan is to only buy once other than the trailer we have now.
The class c we buy, we hope will last 20+ years.
We are in Canada so I'm sure 1 AC unit will be fine....not to say it doesn't get hot here in the summer but just not the intense consistent heat like in southern USA.
Thanks for your lengthy input though....all and any input is appreciated!
Old 08-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
Hello Torker2. We just picked up our Redhawk 26XD in June so my comments won't be as detailed as others. This is our first RV and we've been looking at various models for the past year trying to decide. We kept coming back to the 26XD. We knew how the 26XD's were being priced, so when we saw an end-of-model-year price as low as the used 2016's, we made the move. The floorplan and length were perfect for us. Not sure, but I don't think Greyhawks are available at 28'. We've been on 3 trips to state parks in 90 - 95 degree temperatures. I have about 2000 miles on it, including a 400 mile drive from Connecticut (where I purchased it) to my home. If money and length (my wife is still getting over the "terror" of driving anything this big?!?), weren't an issue, I would have gone with the Greyhawk for the reasons listed above. But having used the 26XD over the past 2 months, I think we made the correct decision going with the Redhawk.

The single AC has been more than adequate even at the high temps we've experienced. Never felt uncomfortable and the vents provide more than enough air flow to both ends of the unit. Being new at this, maybe I don't know enough to see the inconvenience of leveling on blocks. I bought a LevelMate Pro and it makes leveling very easy. It takes me about 5 minutes to level. I must be use to sleeping on rocks or something because I find the OEM mattress fairly comfortable. With few exceptions, all the other systems function correctly.

The few issues I've had have been fairly minor. I had a problem with the center panels coming apart from the cabinet frames (thanks CabinetMaker, your solution worked well!). It does Wander over 60mph - that will be my first serious modification. Like CamperBob, my biggest concern is a front tire blow out at high speed. The entrance door was tough to open / close but I adjusted the plate and that corrected the issue. My bathroom door is hard to keep closed but from reading post here, I think it's because I park my rig in my driveway, on a 12 degree slope and the door has "settled" at that angle.

I won't count this purchase as a success for a few more months but for the first 2 months of ownership I'm very happy with the purchase.
Thanks so much for your reply....nice to hear you have had very few issues....you mentioned somewhat poor handling over 60....what type of mod would improve that?
Old 08-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #16

If you do a search within the Jayco Owners site for steering stabilizers you'll find a number of fixes for Wandering. Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer seems to come up often, being used to help with the problem. The other fix that consistently comes up is getting an alignment and having the caster set between +5.0 and +5.5. Apparently Ford sets the F450's at +4 from the factory. I have to look into this more before I know exactly what I'll do but many owners have had the same issue and have been able to fix it. There's a lot of info on the site about steering stabilization.
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #17

anyone notice they did away with the rounded corner on the leading edge of the house portion of the coach in 2019? the edge right outside your front chassis doors. wonder what that's about?
biggdave92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggdave92 View Post
anyone notice they did away with the rounded corner on the leading edge of the house portion of the coach in 2019? the edge right outside your front chassis doors. wonder what that's about?
That's only on the Redhawks...Greyhawk still has the rounded edges.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggdave92 View Post

Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #20

X2 on wandering. In some respects it keeps me more alert while driving, but it also wears you out over time.