Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #1

Redhawk 26XD

Hi---newbie here

We are looking at a Redhawk 26XD. Our concern would be in the area of
handling. Its a pretty short wheel base for the length of the coach. I have
noticed that Jayco has added the "JRide" system of heavier springs and certain rubber cushion mounts. Does this help the handling and how id the overall handling.
Also any other thoughts about quality and other.

Thanks
Ernie H
coastalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #2

We down sized from a class A to the 26xd. I installed the super steer on the "A", and installed on the 26. It handles like a charm. Some others say you need to increase the tension on the "Jride". I did not because it did not bottom out going down the road. The more tension will make for a more harder ride.
bigdaddyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #3

Redhawk 26XD

Thanks for the reply. How did it handle before you installed the steering helper?
The one I am looking at has the Hellwig springs, cushioning dampers. It does not have the upgraded shocks or sway bar.

Thanks
Ernie H
Old 09-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #4

Let correct my last. I installed the rear track bar right after a few break in miles. As I stated, I installed one on our class a. Before the 26 had some tail wagging the dog and I knew that the rear track bar would correct the problem. No matter what you do, you will still have some tail wagging the dog, but a great improvement with the track bar. Mine came with front and rear sway bars. As far as I know, it does not have the up grade shocks. (some people call the track bar a "pan hard"). I do not plan to make any more improvements for handling. I am very pleased with the way it handles now. BTW, I thought the sway bars were standard equipment on the Ford E450 2015
bigdaddyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #5

Redhawk 26XD

Apparently Jayco felt the Ford sway bar was inadequate? According to them the 2015 and beyond Redhawks now come with Jride as standard. Which is the
Hellwig springs, balanced drive shaft(?) and extra heavy cushioning rubber mounts. The Jride Plus, extra option adds the Bilstein shocks on front and a heavy duty sway bar on front and maybe back? A little wandering I dont mind
I think all RV's have that trait I guess. The only one that I have driven that truly handles like a sports car is the View and Navion MB sprinters.

Ernie H
Old 09-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #6

Bilsteins on the front and back w/ JRide Plus.

And FYI, the FoMoCo rear sway bar is significantly less diameter than is the Hellwig sway that you get with JRide. My prior Minnie Winnie had the standard bar. Really no comparison between the two when you look at them side by side (I upgraded the Winnie to the Hellwig).

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

Ours has handled like a dream from day 1... maintain proper tire pressure, and keep the front aligned (by a truck shop), and you'll be fine.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:59 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to frog
Hi, Read in the archives that you said your 26 xd rides like a dream from day one. You are very lucky your Jayco was set up right. JRIDE is the reason I went with Jayco. But I was very disappointed on my way home from Mi. to Delaware. I had ridiculous sway when a truck approached from the rear at 60 mph. Did all I could to keep it in the lane. I have drove trucks for 35 years and was not expecting this. It was like I was driving a VW bug. I read on forum here of upgrading the suspension. I need to learn more. Good Luck and be Safe.
Delaware Newbie!
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:10 AM   #9

Sway

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Hi, Read in the archives that you said your 26 xd rides like a dream from day one. You are very lucky your Jayco was set up right. JRIDE is the reason I went with Jayco. But I was very disappointed on my way home from Mi. to Delaware. I had ridiculous sway when a truck approached from the rear at 60 mph. Did all I could to keep it in the lane. I have drove trucks for 35 years and was not expecting this. It was like I was driving a VW bug. I read on forum here of upgrading the suspension. I need to learn more. Good Luck and be Safe.
Delaware Newbie!
Hi,

Sounds like all you need is to have the Hellwig helper springs properly adjusted... there is a major thread about the issue on this site, with photos and instructions ( I you feel comfortable doing it yourself).

It's very important to have the tire pressure correct to get good handling. We run 75PSI in the front and 80PSI in the rear. Our tire guy did tell us that if it wandered, to bring the front pressure to 70PSI.

I also found that the 26XD handles better when the fresh water tank is full, and there was no impact to the MPG, as far as I could discern.

Hope that this helps... enjoy your Redhawk!

2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to frog
After I had the the front end aligned, my 26XD rides 75% better. I needed cas/cam bushings.(1800 miles) ?? The little push I get now from passing trucks is what I thought I would get . Not a real issue. But most likely will install the trac bar and steering stabilizer to hopefully get to 100%. Thanks to all who gave me good advice! FROG
frog is offline   Reply With Quote