Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #1

Redhawk 26XD

About to buy a Redhawk. Any comments? Yes or no?
Charlene20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #2

Funny that you should ask :-) We're just getting ready to trade our Redhawk 23XM for the 26XD. We looked at the Grayhawks, but they were too long, and had way to much stuff that we didn't need or want (Tankless water heater, levelers, side view cameras, navigation system, etc).

The 26XD is a perfect size for us, with the perfect floorplan. We're going to close the deal next week.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:03 AM   #3

Redhawk

I am going today to possibly buy one. I haven't driven it yet and am a bit woried about the length as this will be my first RV. I am prepared to purchase it if I feel comfortable. The price was so good that it's hard to pass up. Stay posted for update!!
Old 10-30-2015, 06:39 AM   #4

Make sure that you drive it on a highway, where you can stay at 60mph or over for a few minutes. It it feels like it wants to wander (not track straight), have the dealer check the tire pressure (we run 75 in the front and 80 in the rear), and if necessary, make an alignment part of the deal. You'll see many posts here on the forums regarding the proper alignment specifications.

You should fine with that size rig, just keep in mind the rear end swing when pulling away form something, while turning. The motorhome pivots on the rear wheels when turning, and the distance between rear wheels and the rear bumper is what will swing out (like when leaving a gas pump). After a while, you don't even think about it, you automatically allow the extra clearance.

It's a great feeling knowing that you always have a clean restroom about 12 feet behind where you are sitting! :-)

If you do buy, make sure that you to pick it up early in the day, to leave plenty of time for the Pre-delivery inspection (PDI). Make them show you EVERYTHING, and make good notes. Small issues can be taken care of right there.

Things like the air conditioner, hot water heater, furnace, generator, water pump, toilet, shower (inside and outside), awning, TV antenna and TV, slides, power steps, etc. should all be working and demonstrated. Wear old jeans and bring a flashlight... look under the unit for water system leaks, loose wires, rust on the frame and anything that might be pinched or rubbing.

Have fun and be safe!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 10-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #5

I bought it! I think I was given a very thorough training haha. I drove home over 2 hours a little nervous but it drives and handles great. So far very happy!
Old 10-31-2015, 09:46 AM   #6

Charlene20, please keep in touch and let us know how everything works out. We're negotiating the price now, and the dealer will be adding slide toppers and reversible MaxxAir fans to each of the ceiling vents, and MaxxAir vent covers.

Good luck and happy & safe camping!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 11-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #7

Awesome

I have entertained friends in the RV in my driveway and every one loves it. Will take it on a local camping trip in a couple of weeks. Can't wait! Hope yall are driving a new one yourself!!
Old 11-07-2015, 07:47 AM   #8

Well, we finished the negations with the dealer yesterday, and got the price we wanted. We got them to throw in the Roadmaster spare tire carrier (650.00 retail) before we signed the buyers order. Now we can feel better knowing that we have the mounted spare with us, and that carrier also allows us to still use the hitch mounted bike carrier.

Now it's up to the bank... won't know till Monday if it will be approved.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 11-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #9

Good luck tomorrow. I never even thought about a tire carrier. I've been reading and reading and gosh there's so much to learn. Plan on doing an overnight locally at a park to see how I do before i head out for New Year's week. I'm still so uncertain about so much but spending this weekend with friends who have a RVs so will be asking lots of questions. I'll be watching for your good news!!
Old 11-09-2015, 04:34 AM   #10

Don't forget you get Coach.net for one year. Check out the roadside benefits.

2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
wwachsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:00 AM   #11

Logans, could you tell me which Roadmaster spare tire carrier you ended up with? We were looking at a Redhawk 26X1, which is the same floorplan as the 26XD, only on a Chevy chassis. We had a terrible time trying to track down a tire carrier that manufacturers said would support the heavier motor home spare tire while still using the hitch to tow a toad. Jayco actually said we could use a bumper mounted spare tire carrier but based on some information we gathered while discussing that possibility on this forum, that made us a bit nervous because of the weight that would be on the bumper.

Thank you.
Kayleys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #12

RoadMaster

This is what we got:

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

We liked it because it still allows you to carry bikes, or pull something, as it has it's own receiver hitch.

It's expensive, but as I said earlier, we got the dealer to throw it in for free.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 11-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #13

OK, we did the deal, and will pick up the 26D as soon as the slide toppers and fans are installed. Probably be Monday... now the fun of unloading the old motorhome starts! lol
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 11-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #14
WDW

Congratulations on your new coach! After you have moved out - you will be amazed with how much stuff you were hauling.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:06 AM   #15

Congratulations!! I know you are excited. I hope to get out in mine this weekend and maybe go for a ride and start everything up again to make sure I know how before I make my first trip. I wish I had gotten the fans in mine before I drove away. Good luck moving out!! You'll probably trash half of what you take out.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #16

Hi Charlene20,

Make sure that you pick-op the new unit EARLY in the day, so as to leave plenty of the time for the PDI. That also gives the dealer time to fix any minor issues before you drive off.

Whoever does the walk-thru with you should have EVERYTHING running, or prepared to run. You want to check all of the major systems in the coach (air conditioner, heater, hot water heater, slides, water pump, generator, TV, toilet, shower, etc) and everything in the cab.

Make sure that they show you everything outside also (roof ladder tight, no wires hanging down under the unit, all outside lights functioning, awning works as it should, propane shut-off valve, no leaks at the generator connections, where the low point drains are, the outside shower and how the water valves function, etc.)

Most of all, have fun and be safe!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 11-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #17

While looking for dangling wires beneath the chassis, also carefully check the frame all around for signs of rust. A strong flashlight will be useful for this. We found some on our Greyhawk and the dealer sanded and reprinted the affected frame members as a warranty item.

Good luck!

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #18

What made you go to the 26 from the 23. We have driven both and for us the 23 seems perfect. Would like your thoughts
Thanks!
cschiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:05 AM   #19

Hi cschiller,

Well, the outside length of the 26XD is only 24" longer than the 23XM, and for that we pick up a couch, a much larger slide, and more windows (more natural light).

The main reason, though, is because we carry bikes, and we had to take the bikes and the bike rack off the back before we could use the bedroom slide.

There is also considerable more floor space inside, and one of our dogs is a 135 pound Newfoundland! lol

The 26XD actually has a bit less outside storage space outside, but we carry too much "stuff", anyway. The 26XD also has a nice setup with the couch for watching TV, as when the TV swings out it's at the perfect viewing angle. As this is a 2016, the TV antenna no longer has to be cranked up, and the rear view camera screen is larger and has sound (although I can hear my DW screaming "STOP" when backing up, even without a microphone).

All in all it's just a better fit for us. We also took the opportunity to have the dealer add slide toppers, MaxxAir reversible fans and vent covers, and the Roadmaster spare tire carrier.

That tire carrier allows us to carry a spare, AND the bikes at the same time.

Good luck and happy camping with whatever you decide!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 11-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #20

Roadmaster tire carrier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
That [Roadmaster] tire carrier allows us to carry a spare, AND the bikes at the same time.
Let us know how you like that Roadmaster tire carrier. I am considering one for the same reason. Thanks.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote