Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2020, 07:51 AM   #1

Redhawk 31F Bedroom Vent

We just purchased a 2020 31F and we pick it up in a few days. There is a vent in the ceiling of the bedroom, but it doesn’t have fan. Does anyone know if there is power at that vent so I can install a Fantastic Fan or MaxxAir fan?
TwinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:10 AM   #2

Possibly would be wired for second AC.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:33 AM   #3
Site Team

Like namusmc65 said, there may be wires there. Take the inner trim down, and look around in there. You may find power wires already in place.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:08 AM   #4

Ask the dealer if there is power or ask at Jayco support just have your vin number available also and they will tell you for sure. Most likely there is power there. That is what I would do to be safe you get the right answer.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #5

I hope there is. It will be a perfect spot for a fan to get better air circulation.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #6

I just took the trim down. The only wires I see running up there look like they’re for the ceiling lights. If I hooked a fan up to those wires wouldn’t I need to have the lights on to use the fan? I think it’s kind of silly to have a vent there and they didn’t think of having power there for a fan.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
I just took the trim down. The only wires I see running up there look like they’re for the ceiling lights. If I hooked a fan up to those wires wouldn’t I need to have the lights on to use the fan? I think it’s kind of silly to have a vent there and they didn’t think of having power there for a fan.
Though I have a different unit, I replaced my standard ceiling vent with a powered fan. It isn't likely you will find a constantly live 12V wire and ground in that area. Your light wires in the ceiling are after the wall switch, so you can't count on them. Even if wired for a 2nd air conditioner, the wires for that would be 120V and it's thermostat.
I was able to snake through the ceiling to the bathroom fan area and found a pair of live 12V wires I was able to feed off. There's no guarantee you will have the same luck I did, but look for a way to snake a wire to somewhere that has what you need. If you happen to be able to follow the light wires down to the light switch, you would be able to get your power source there, but only if your switch is on an interior wall.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:53 AM   #8

Quote:
If I hooked a fan up to those wires wouldn’t I need to have the lights on to use the fan?

Probably not.
Do you have an multimeter?

If not, spend $10 and grab a cheap one.
Check to see if there's 12V there.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #9

Finally got this this done. While the MH was at the dealer for some warranty stuff I had them install the fan. There was nowhere to get 12v power from that would allow the fan to operate independently and not have to turn on the lights to turn the fan on. They had to run all the way from the power going to the bathroom fan switch. They snaked it up the wall and along the AC duct to get the power to the bedroom vent. I can’t believe Jayco didn’t have power there already. I figured since the Greyhawk has a second AC where my Redhawk just had a roof vent there would be power there. I would think Jayco would have the power there in the Redhawk knowing people would probably want to install a fan instead of just having the useless vent. Although I love my Redhawk, my biggest gripe so far has been the lack of air flow in the bedroom, hopefully this helps solve that problem.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
I can’t believe Jayco didn’t have power there already. I figured since the Greyhawk has a second AC where my Redhawk just had a roof vent there would be power there. I would think Jayco would have the power there in the Redhawk knowing people would probably want to install a fan instead of just having the useless vent.
Unless it is an option on a particular model they normally don't provide the wiring.