Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #1

Redhawk corner bed vs slide out bed, which one do you like?

Some Redhawk class Cs have corner bed, and some have slide out bed. which one do you prefer? why?

I can think of:
For slide out bed such as 22J, you will not have a bed in tight parking lot or strong wind, but feels roomy when slide out. For corner bed like 25R/22A, no room around bed, one bed corner is slightly cut off, feeling cornered, but always have a bed to sleep.

What do you think?
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #2

Redhawk corner bed vs slidout bed

We have a 2019 22j and love it. In 30 plus yrs, the last 10 with slide out never had an issue with obstructions affecting the slide out. Unless you do not mind crawling over each each other during the nite to use the bathroom go for corner bed, i personally do not like to be awakened .
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Another big point you missed, the corner bed is a full size, the slide out is a queen size. If you want a little bit more room, you get it with the queen. Plus, access from 3 sides is much better than climbing in from the foot each time. Ever try to make a bed that touches the wall on 3-1/2 sides?

For the rare times you can't find 3 feet to extend the slide, you can go sleep in the upper bunk.

Plus, I would suggest not going with a rig that has the bed slide out only, like the 22J, You'll feel squeezed in if the dinette area doesn't slide too. Having a full wall slide is what makes these shorter rigs work.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
Some Redhawk class Cs have corner bed, and some have slide out bed. which one do you prefer? why?

I can think of:
For slide out bed such as 22J, you will not have a bed in tight parking lot or strong wind, but feels roomy when slide out. For corner bed like 25R/22A, no room around bed, one bed corner is slightly cut off, feeling cornered, but always have a bed to sleep.

What do you think?
Look at that corner bed and think about making it. Also as stated crawling over your partner.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #5

The slide out bed. That is until the slide doesn't extend. Luckily I did not have the whole family with me at that time.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Another big point you missed, the corner bed is a full size, the slide out is a queen size. If you want a little bit more room, you get it with the queen. Plus, access from 3 sides is much better than climbing in from the foot each time. Ever try to make a bed that touches the wall on 3-1/2 sides?

For the rare times you can't find 3 feet to extend the slide, you can go sleep in the upper bunk.

Plus, I would suggest not going with a rig that has the bed slide out only, like the 22J, You'll feel squeezed in if the dinette area doesn't slide too. Having a full wall slide is what makes these shorter rigs work.
Looked at Redhawk 24B carefully, the bunkbed does not have windows, sunroof or AC duct. Is it comfortable to sleep in the bunkbed with privacy curtain closed? stuffy? especially in hot summer. Jayco forgets to add ventilation there.

For 24B/22J, can the bedroom slide be partially slid out for just enough room to make a bed, maybe 1 foot? thanks.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
The slide out bed. That is until the slide doesn't extend. Luckily I did not have the whole family with me at that time.
Can it happen for one year old 24B? what is the slide problem? how to fix it? thanks.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Looked at Redhawk 24B carefully, the bunkbed does not have windows, sunroof or AC duct. Is it comfortable to sleep in the bunkbed with privacy curtain closed? stuffy? especially in hot summer. Jayco forgets to add ventilation there.
Bunk windows leak and allow heat in, as does a skylight. If you have a curtain leave it open so you can point a couple of ducts back toward the bunk. Also the AC has quick cool vents that can't be more than 2 feet from the bunk. Instead of installing a curtain I made a silly little mod where I remove the curved dinette back cushions and clip them to the bunk. This provides a foot high of privacy while sleeping without disturbing air flow and allows enough room to climb up through the ladder between them. Plus they are then now out of the way while my other son needs to stretch out on the dinette bed.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Can it happen for one year old 24B? what is the slide problem? how to fix it? thanks.

If I only knew. It has a mind of its own. It usually works but sometimes does not and the problem keeps manifesting differently at times. Never a problem when I take it in of course. The Schwintech slide should not have been used for a full wall slide IMHO is the short answer. Not to mention, partially running this model of slide can supposedly put it out of synch and cause problems.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:43 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
That's specifically why I bought it. No sunroof or window to let heat or cold in. Plus, it's quieter going down the road then having those cutouts.

It's a small unit, it doesn't get stuffy, as the 15K A/C unit pushes out plenty of cool.

What privacy curtain, mine doesn't have on up there. I actually added a half curtain with velcro, for when the rug rats come along.

Quote:
For 24B/22J, can the bedroom slide be partially slid out for just enough room to make a bed, maybe 1 foot? thanks.
Sure, but you won't get a good seal. It should be run all the way out.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Mike, unfortunately, has had some bad luck. My slide has been fine, but I'm really careful, and make sure I only run it when the rig is level, and I'm always checking the rack and lubing everything.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:08 AM   #12

25R with corner bed owner. While I will agree that making the bed is a pain it is perfectly fine for the wife and I to sleep on. We opted for this model due to the outdoor kitchen which outweighed the negatives of the corner bed.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:12 AM   #13

I am 6’ tall and sleep on my stomach. Had to be the slide out bed. Corner bed to small. Als as I get older I get that bathroom call at night more often. Easier with slide out bed. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:25 AM   #14

We chose the 24B slide out queen with walk around sides because we had owned an Airstream with the bed against the wall. Never again will I have to crawl over my wife in the 'pee' hours of the morning...

The slide queen bed is a pain if you cant get the slide out. In that situation, just plan to bed down over the cab or convert the dinette.

Also, the foldable end of the bed (so the slide will retract) is always a PITA when you need to get in the bathroom on the road. Both situations are compromises. The slide queen bed was a 'must have' for my wife.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #15

When slide in, how big is the bed? can a child sleep there? It should become a corner bed when slide in.

Can Redhawk 22J/24B/25R be used for full-time living? Will water tank and water pipe be frozen during cold winter time? any protection from cold? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
When slide in, how big is the bed? can a child sleep there? It should become a corner bed when slide in.
Yes, you can lay the other direction (front to rear) along the side window. It would be comparable to a short twin bed. It would be 60" along that side.

Quote:
Can Redhawk 22J/24B/25R be used for full-time living? Will water tank and water pipe be frozen during cold winter time? any protection from cold? Thanks.
Depends on how cold. There are tank heaters on all three tanks, but the water line from the fresh tank is exposed along the bottom as it runs to the back water pump.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #17

Quote:

Yes a child can sleep long wise. My wife who is 5'7" did it when we couldn't get the slide out at one of our stops. I slept over the cab.

The interior PEX piping is above the floor and not subject to freezing if some heat is available. Lower gray/black/and fresh tanks have heat pads. Our outside incoming water line froze up last trip but I had switched to internal fresh the night before. We had water with no problems and no issues with any pipes inside or outside leaking.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:36 PM   #18

Owners manual requires you to run slide in or out completely then hold button for count of 5 to keep motors in sync. Never run it out or in part way!!!
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
Owners manual requires you to run slide in or out completely then hold button for count of 5 to keep motors in sync. Never run it out or in part way!!!
So a space of two parking lots is needed for slide out.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDJ View Post
25R with corner bed owner. While I will agree that making the bed is a pain it is perfectly fine for the wife and I to sleep on. We opted for this model due to the outdoor kitchen which outweighed the negatives of the corner bed.
Outside kitchen of 25R is nice. How difficult is it to make the corner bed? any or no space at all between mattress and wall? If there is no space, how to put on a mattress cover that wraps the whole mattress? Thanks.