Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2021, 01:02 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raines View Post
I just plugged it into the outlet for my TV. Ran the wire from outside to inside which is behind that outlet cover, then ran through the hole that the TV wire comes through the outlet cover and plugged it in. Put outlet cover section back in. It is only held on with one screw
My Redhawk has, what looks like low voltage wires right behind the awning motor, inside a panel, in the cabinet over my door. I do not have a TV in the over the cab bunk, but I ran an outlet for one with USB ports. That’s how I discover the wiring. It looks like they are off the 12V system. I haven’t tested them yet, I could be wrong. But I’m guessing this pigtail of wire is for an optional awning light strip.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:02 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2048b View Post
Ahh, so i could get a huge strip that has motion and other colors and do this! Nice
Yes, that is what I installed. It does the motion, changes colors, and fades. Looks pretty cool. There are different adapters and extensions too to add other strips on too.
Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
My Redhawk has, what looks like low voltage wires right behind the awning motor, inside a panel, in the cabinet over my door. I do not have a TV in the over the cab bunk, but I ran an outlet for one with USB ports. That’s how I discover the wiring. It looks like they are off the 12V system. I haven’t tested them yet, I could be wrong. But I’m guessing this pigtail of wire is for an optional awning light strip.
Yes, you might be right. I would have tested some wires if I didnt already have an outlet there. But you can probably tap right in to it since it's right there.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raines View Post
Yes, you might be right. I would have tested some wires if I didnt already have an outlet there. But you can probably tap right in to it since it's right there.
I found the photo I took! There’s a yellow pigtail and a white wire in a loop!
Attached Thumbnails
363E5372-0125-47A9-9283-E89F1A9CDBC0.jpg  
Old 04-27-2021, 06:34 AM   #105

I found the awning wires black and red. How do I connect LED awning strip? Do I have to install a switch to turn the light on separate from awning or if I open the awning they will stay on?
Which wires I would connect my LevelMate to stay on continuously.
Thank you
Click image for larger version

Name:	74E8A7F6-CFF8-4289-8A7C-30ECE2D7BC67.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	70681
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:23 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 24B View Post
I found the awning wires black and red. How do I connect LED awning strip? Do I have to install a switch to turn the light on separate from awning or if I open the awning they will stay on?
Which wires I would connect my LevelMate to stay on continuously.
Thank you
Attachment 70681
I would Buy a 12V test light with a pointed probe. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VHK1MCG...K6CJX9HJV560QN Pierce each wire until you find 12V positive and negative. (Red should be + and black -, but I wouldn’t count on that!), If you never used a test light, you will have to find a chassis ground, and connect the alligator clip on the test light to ground. Find a screw, a bolt or metal object that’s drilled into the “chassis” frame, (not coach). You might be able to open from cab passenger door and connect to the door latch pin, (nader pin)

Run the negative straight to the negative on the light, interrupt the positive to the 12v switch before attaching it to the positive side of the light.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:36 AM   #107

Compartment Locks

I updated all my compartment cam locks with this tubular style. Since almost all RVs use the CH751 key/locks, everyone has it. This makes it accessible to almost anyone. These locks are like the arcade machine locks.

Name:	TubularCamLocks.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	70683

Name:	TubularLocks-key.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	70684
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:22 AM   #108

Cleaned up 30z graphics

I cleaned up the graphics on my 2021 30z. It was a warm day and they came off easy. I used a razor blade to get the decals off from around the outside shower compartment. I removed most from the cap so it's easier to wash and wax, and removed some from the sides and rear. There was so many decals on it my wife hardly noticed what was removed.
Attached Thumbnails
rv front.jpg   rv side.jpg  
Old 06-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #109

I added a hinge to the bench plywood cover so I wouldn't have to remove and set aside to access the storage underneath. I also added a flat belt through the finger hole to prevent getting splinters.

I used the 1.5" x 48" hinge from Home Depot for under $11. I had to saw off 8.5" of the hinge because 48" is much too long. I may consider doing the same on the opposite side just to have an easier access to the furnace. It is screwed down to prevent using it for storage.

Name:	BenchHinge.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	72440
Old 06-14-2021, 11:10 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
I added a hinge to the bench plywood cover so I wouldn't have to remove and set aside to access the storage underneath. I also added a flat belt through the finger hole to prevent getting splinters.

I used the 1.5" x 48" hinge from Home Depot for under $11. I had to saw off 8.5" of the hinge because 48" is much too long. I may consider doing the same on the opposite side just to have an easier access to the furnace. It is screwed down to prevent using it for storage.

Attachment 72440
Nice which hinges did u use
J2048b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:42 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2048b View Post
Nice which hinges did u use
Thanks. I used this one from HD.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...9322/300985687
Old 06-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #112

Hi Raines, what brand of your LED light strip? Would you please send me the link. Thanks
Old 06-17-2021, 07:22 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnghiem View Post
Hi Raines, what brand of your LED light strip? Would you please send me the link. Thanks
I bought it from camping world. Here is their link on their website. I really like it but I did have to buy a dimmer to add to it so I could dim the lights. I am not sure if I just couldn't figure it out or mine didnt work right or what but after adding a 7 dollar dimming adapter it works great and can dim it down so not to bother the neighbors, lol. I also bought some automotive 3m trim tape and applied that on my motorhome wall directly under my awning then put their tape on the led strip and attached it to the 3m tape. So far so good and have drove over 2000 miles and lots of rain since I did it and no sign of it coming off.

https://www.campingworld.com/led-light-strip-95771.html
Attached Thumbnails
20210603_212955.jpg  
Old 06-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #114

Thanks Raines.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:03 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
I updated all my compartment cam locks with this tubular style. Since almost all RVs use the CH751 key/locks, everyone has it. This makes it accessible to almost anyone. These locks are like the arcade machine locks.

Attachment 70683

Attachment 70684

Can you please send me a link to the locks that you purchased? I briefly looked into this 2 years ago and then tabled it. I have now had my power management system ripped off. I knew better then to leave it in the compartments dang it. I remember some stating that the new locks required additional spacers to fit properly and some locks could not be left unlocked without the key remaining in them which will not work for me. Any help is appreciated. I have also seen 1" will work while others said 1 1/8".
Old 06-24-2021, 06:02 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
Can you please send me a link to the locks that you purchased? I briefly looked into this 2 years ago and then tabled it. I have now had my power management system ripped off. I knew better then to leave it in the compartments dang it. I remember some stating that the new locks required additional spacers to fit properly and some locks could not be left unlocked without the key remaining in them which will not work for me. Any help is appreciated. I have also seen 1" will work while others said 1 1/8".
I did mine a few months ago before going out west. This is what I used.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQMQP4H/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_glt_fabc_94TCT51X6QR0SP572R7V?

They worked out pretty good. I had an issue with them locking too tight on the power cord compartment and a few others, I just couldn’t use the factory pull latch/washer. They all required a little finesse, but overall worked out perfect.

The locks can be unlocked with out the key inserted. I also had enough to do all the compartments, except the outdoor shower compartment. That one has a special, shallow cylinder, with a clip mount. But I’m ok with that. I used the 2 leftover locks to double up on the generator compartment and my outdoor kitchen compartment.

(I have a 2019 Redhawk 25R)
Old 06-24-2021, 07:14 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
Here is the link to a company I used in S. California. Mei Locks

OEM Lock Manufacturers | Cam Lock Supplier Des Moines

They have other types of tubular locks besides the one I used. The length I used was 7/8" on the Redhawk 31F compartment doors. The diameter is 5/8". Since there are some variances in the thickness of the doors, you can use washers under the latch of the lock to bring it out some to make it engage. You can specify 90 or 180 degree turn. I used 90 degrees, same as the current locks.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #118

I used www.ralock.com. I ended going up with a bit longer body and used a slight offset cam.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #119

USB outlets at bed lamps.

Added a USB plug at the bed lamps for reading while powering devices.

Unscrewed the lamp pulled the wires out and then rewired the whole thing including the USB.

Plan on doing the other side as well.

This flush mount (almost*) charger makes this update easy.
The charger has a cap that snaps over the screw to hide them.

* I had to notch out the lamp base for the USB wire to exit. The charger wire is proud of its base when screwed to the wall. Therefore the charger is not perfectly flush but the gap is not noticeable since the wires are so small.

I could have put another hole for its wire behind the charger but don't like drilling into the walls.

https://amzn.to/3gZI0mR
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210613_232939558.jpg  

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote