Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2020, 07:24 AM   #1

Redhawk leveling

New to RVing, bought used 2019 Redhawk 31xl, no leveling system installed, should I install electric system? I am concerned about refrigerator not running correctly. Any advice in this area is appreciated.
Clifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:52 AM   #2

The fridge needs to be relatively level, but does not need to be perfect.

Norcold recommends that their refrigerators operate within 3 degrees off level side-to-side and 6 degrees off level front-to-back.

So on the coach 3 degrees front to rear and 6 degrees left to right. You would not be comfortable if you were parked liked that.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford View Post
New to RVing, bought used 2019 Redhawk 31xl, no leveling system installed, should I install electric system? I am concerned about refrigerator not running correctly. Any advice in this area is appreciated.

Obviously an electric leveling system isn't required - as people have been RVing without them for decades.

Our old motorhome didn't have one, so out came the leveling blocks at every campsite. Our Greyhawk has the jacks. And I'll admit I do prefer the Push of a Button approach.

I'd call it a matter of preference and convenience not necessity.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I don't have levelers on my rig, I've thought about adding them too. But, I use a stack of Lynx levelers, and it's easy enough to use them to get the rig level enough:

https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-0001.../dp/B0028PJ10K
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:57 AM   #5

Welcome aboard; I would agree this is a personal decision.

Personally I would try a few blocks of wood for a few trips, and decide if that is acceptable.

An electronic leveling system is very expensive, but, it is easy to level, a second advantage is it helps stabilize the MH, so when people are walking it will not shake as much.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Do your homework before purchasing a leveling system. I was ready to pull the trigger but after reading so many complaints I decided that it wasn't that necessary, especially for that price tag.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #7

I love auto-leveling. After years of driving my trailer up on blocks to level the auto-leveling was a must have when we were motorhome shopping because it seemed to expensive to install aftermarket. If the coach is too out of level, the leveling system won’t work, so I got these incase I’m ever in a spot where the ground is too out of level for the system to work. They might be helpful to level if you don’t have the auto-leveling installed.
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Leveling-B...ome+lev&sr=8-4
Old 06-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
Do your homework before purchasing a leveling system. I was ready to pull the trigger but after reading so many complaints I decided that it wasn't that necessary, especially for that price tag.
That's kinda why I didn't do it too. Very pricy, and I would have spent hours installing the system, only to save a few minutes when setting up at the campground. We've got really good, and I usually guess correctly after looking at the rig what blocks each corner will need. Then my trusty assistant (wifey) goes and slides the necessary blocks behind the wheels, and up I drive...
Old 06-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #9

Thanks for all the great advice!
Clifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #10

One additional thought is that after I installed the upgraded Helwig sway bars for better road manners, one nice side effect is that while parked the rig does not bounce or rock around much when parked and walking around inside. I'm glad I don't have a leveling system after seeing some of the troubles my buddies have with theirs, quite a bit to go wrong. Having stiff anti-sway bars is a nice side effect while parked. I just use a reliable wife and leveling blocks too. Works very well and pretty low tech and inexpensive, even on dirt and uneven surfaces. Although, I don't own them, the top of the line leveling blocks are probably by Anderson. Not really blocks at all, but half moons + wedges.
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:38 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazear View Post
One additional thought is that after I installed the upgraded Helwig sway bars for better road manners, one nice side effect is that while parked the rig does not bounce or rock around much when parked and walking around inside.
You know, I noticed that too, and thought the sway bars helped the rocking. We only camped once or twice before I upgraded the sway bars, (because of the crappy and scary ride) so I really didn't have a good baseline to compare. But I felt it didn't move as much too.

Also, I think the heavier duty sway bars even decreased the cantilever effect and leaning when the slide goes out.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:15 PM   #12

I found the same with the slide out too.
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:16 AM   #13

Even w/ levelers I bring a load of blocks. My last trip, the spot I was on was 8” off level front to back. So I needed 4 bags of blocks just to get within shooting distance of having the levelers fix it. 1 bag under each front tire, 2/3 bag under each front leveling jack.

I do not like to level and have a tire hanging. That’s just my personal preference.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:09 AM   #14

I have been using the carpenters level and 2x8 wood approach since I started RVing 5 years ago. Stone knives and Bear skins but works just fine. I bought a new 26XD and decided to try the Levelmatepro . Did a search here, read the threads and decided to give it a try. This unit tell me how much each wheel has to be adjusted to get to level. I set it up and drove into a big near by parking lot with varying inclines and tried it out. It worked as intended. Still have to break out the lumber, but have added "fire" to my stone knives and bear skins. Slowly evolving I guess.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #15
TOS

As Grumpy said in 2nd post... Doesn't have to be exactly level. My previous 5th wheels and my current Melbourne haven't had any refrigerator problems, even while traveling down the highway (which is seldom level).
Old 06-03-2020, 05:35 PM   #16

I just love my levelers that came with my Greyhawk. Yes they are good for leveling the fridge but they do more.

Lowering them will take most of the rocking motion out of the rig when you are camped. That is real nice although your old sign that says if the camper is rocking don't bother knocking can no longer be used.

Another use for the levelers is to raise the vehicle to be able to work under it. I have used them for that purpose a number of times. The jacks are so strong that I can raise wheels completely off the ground and have done so a few times.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I just love my levelers that came with my Greyhawk. Yes they are good for leveling the fridge but they do more.

Lowering them will take most of the rocking motion out of the rig when you are camped. That is real nice although your old sign that says if the camper is rocking don't bother knocking can no longer be used.

Another use for the levelers is to raise the vehicle to be able to work under it. I have used them for that purpose a number of times. The jacks are so strong that I can raise wheels completely off the ground and have done so a few times.
Make no mistake Jim I think jacks would be awesome, I'm sure we all do. Redhawks do not come with them, and many people that add them have nothing but trouble after that costly purchase. That is the problem. It's definitely a want, but not a need.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #18

I have the same unit only the 2018. I had mine installed by the dealer @ 5k. Equalizer system. I like them but have had several problems. They leak to this day from the main reservoir. The install routed the high pressure lines where the tires wore through one. Been back to the dealer multiple times. Probably just a crappy dealer/mechanic.
Kocomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #19

You didn't ask but if you are looking for a way to take the guess work out of how much to raise each wheel the Level Mate Pro is a good way. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Truma app (free)has a leveling feature that will also give you the # of inches each tire needs to be raised. You have to measure your wheel base and width and enter that into the app and you are done. The Levelmate Pro your phone can be in any position for you to see the "best spot" and the least # of blocks required. Truma app uses your phone as the level and you either need another set of eyes or look back constantly while the phone is on the floor behind the seat. It can be trickier if you decide you want counter tops to be "level". Yes there is a difference in my floor and countertops being level. Back on topic, the refrigerator is also on a slightly different plane from the floors and countertops. There isn't much of a difference so I set the Levelmate Pro to make the countertops dead on. The fridge and floors are not noticeably off.

Edit. Welcome to the forum
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #20

I really wanted them when I got my 22J built. But the $4,000 extra really turned me off from them. There are a ton of people that leveling doesn't matter to- but it bugs the hell out of me. There are a number of things you can do if you are just after leveling. The LevelMatePro is well worth the investment. This is what I have. I pull into a site, turn it on, and it tells me exactly what I need to do to be level. I build up blocks to match it, set them down, and drive over. It's really that simple. There is also a stand-alone app from another company that's a lot cheaper and works even better if you have a second device, like a phone or tablet. I am not sure of the name, though. As mentioned earlier, if you are out of range for the fridge, you are going to feel it yourself and it will be super annoying physically. This is part of my set up now and it makes things go smooth. And I am super happy I have that $4,000 to spend elsewhere.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote