Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2019, 05:55 AM   #1

Redhawk Roof

The Jayco Website has this statement under the standard features for their Redhawks:

"Vacuum-bonded, laminated roof, floor and sidewalls"

Does that mean the "Rubber Roof" is Vacuum-bonded and laminated? Or is it Fiberglass like the sidewalls?

Confused.
Kinggartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #2

Our Redhawk has a TPO covered roof. Not fiberglass as you would find on a Grayhawk.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #3

Well now i want a better roof!
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUSNRet View Post
Our Redhawk has a TPO covered roof. Not fiberglass as you would find on a Grayhawk.

Does that mean they Vacuum-Bond and Laminate the GPO Roof? Seems Odd...I would think.
Kinggartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinggartk View Post
Does that mean they Vacuum-Bond and Laminate the GPO Roof? Seems Odd...I would think.
Are you sure that isn't talking about the inside? I'm not sure, just wondering.

I do remember when I was looking for ours, we looked and the Reds and the Greys. I told the salesman that I didn't want a Red because I wanted a fiberglass roof. He tried to pitch me on the Red roof saying that even though it was a rubber roof, it was covered in a fiberglass like coating. So, I though that was interesting and climbed up on the top of one when he was with my wife looking in a different one. It looked and felt just like the rubber roof on my old TT.

That's just my anecdotal experience looking at them a couple months ago.

That being said, the rubber roofs can be good, you just have to take really good care of them and make sure you inspect it after every trip.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #6

This is our fourth RV with a rubber roof since 1995. We've not had a problem yet. Try to keep them reasonably clean and check for damage periodically.

Now that I've probably jinxed myself, I will look for a fiberglass roof next time around.

Hope everyone has a nice. Memorial Day. Don't forget to Remember.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #7

When I first bought my Greyhawk, I questioned if it really was fiberglass even after venturing up there. It is textured in such a manner that visually, I just assumed it was rubber, but when challenged (on this group) I crawled up again, and sure enough....it is fiberglass.

It is a bit of a challenge to clean, and just like rubber, over time I would assume UV will cause some issues, but for now, it is nice not worrying about tears or anything.

I do note that the slides are covered in TPO or EDPM (or whatever it is called) and they will need some preventative maintenances at the seams. They used headed screws under a tape like Eternabond, but the screw heads are working through the seal likely due to the rubbing on the rubber seals when extended and retracted.

I may get up there and replace the headed screws with countersunk stainless, then put another layer of Eternabond over them.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote