Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2021, 08:30 PM   #1

Redhawk SE 22C on Chevy 4500 or wait for Ford E-350?

Hello, I have an opportunity to get a new 2021 Redhawk SE 22C on the Chevy 4500 chassis with the new 6.6 gas engine just being built now or wait until this fall to get a 2022 Redhawk SE on the Ford E-350 chassis with the new 7.3 gas engine. Pricing would be the same. Other than the heavier GVWR of the Chevy chassis and the much nicer electronics in the dash of the Ford. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of what would be the better way to go? Thanks in advance for any insights.
watchmerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:23 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to alvinator
We are completely satisfied with our 2021 Redhawk SE 22A with the Chevy 6.0 liter engine.

Having said that we would have been very happy if it came with the new 6.6 liter engine.

We don't miss the extra electronics that the Ford has and we love the rear view camera that is mounted like a rear view mirror on the Chevy. We leave it on all the time as it gives you a wide view of you toad and the traffic behind you.

Also, the Chevy needs only a steering stabilizer added for excellent handling; we opted for the Roadmaster. The Ford Redhawk needs many add-ons to enable confident handling to the tune of thousands of dollars though the Greyhawk doesn't need as many albeit at a higher cost.

Good luck with your decision.
Demco Stay n Play
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:09 PM   #3

This is very helpful thanks for the fast response. Since Jayco already has the Chevy Chassis, it's seems like more of a sure thing than waiting for the Redhawk SE to be built on the Ford Chassis. It sounds like this will be the last build of the Redhawk SE on the Chevy Chassis, but you never know given the current supply chain issues the manufacturers seem to be having. Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmerv View Post
This is very helpful thanks for the fast response. Since Jayco already has the Chevy Chassis, it's seems like more of a sure thing than waiting for the Redhawk SE to be built on the Ford Chassis. It sounds like this will be the last build of the Redhawk SE on the Chevy Chassis, but you never know given the current supply chain issues the manufacturers seem to be having. Thanks again.
I just read the Ford will not be producing any e-450's for a while because they can't get microchips.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #5

If it's all the same, I would take the Chevy now.

Chevy suspension geometry has always been better than Ford. But there's also the smaller doghouse, and the "guarantee" of availability to consider as well. IDK about the new Ford engine, but with my V-10, the doghouse is a significant burden on me getting out of the driver's seat into the "house". The Chevy doghouse is much smaller, which makes it easier to move in/out of the cab if you don't want to go out through the chassis doors. My dad and my in-laws have both had RVs on the Workhorse chassis and both recommend them highly. Plus production issues on the Ford chassis could pose a significant problem whereas the Chevy is ready now.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #6

This is really good info. It makes my decision a lot easier to make. I wasn't aware of the doghouse size and the overall geometry/handling of the Chevy being better. Thanks and any additional input is appreciated, as well.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:37 PM   #7

Love the Chevy

We have the Chevy 4500 and love it. Ours is a 30 ft. 27N. I haven't added a stabilizer, though I'm considering it. It has great power and I love the downshift arrangement, where I can pick the gears. This is our one-year anniversary with it, 15,000 miles, mostly in mountainous country, and averaging 10 mpg.
Lowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:46 PM   #8
Site Team

Do any older Greyhawks have that engine?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:09 PM   #9

Thanks again for the positive feedback on the Chevy. Based upon your recommendations I think I'll be getting the 2021 Redhawk SE 22C on the Chevy 4500 chassis with the new 6.6 gas engine.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:52 AM   #10

Roadmaster stabilizer? JRide confusion?

We purchased the 2021 Redhawk SE 22C with the Chevy engine in March of this year as well. We really like the Chevy. We are interested in hearing more about the difference the Roadmaster steering stabilizer made for you.

Also, our rig says it has JRide yet we don't see the Helwig Helper Springs. Anyone know anything about that topic? We called Jayco Customer Service the rep said we had all the JRide components. We found one brochure that says JRide is only on Redhawk. So does that mean Redhawk SE does not have JRide?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinator View Post
We are
completely satisfied with our 2021 Redhawk SE 22A with the Chevy 6.0 liter engine.

Having said that we would have been very happy if it came with the new 6.6 liter engine.

We don't miss the extra electronics that the Ford has and we love the rear view camera that is mounted like a rear view mirror on the Chevy. We leave it on all the time as it gives you a wide view of you toad and the traffic behind you.

Also, the Chevy needs only a steering stabilizer added for excellent handling; we opted for the Roadmaster. The Ford Redhawk needs many add-ons to enable confident handling to the tune of thousands of dollars though the Greyhawk doesn't need as many albeit at a higher cost.

Good luck with your decision.
On the Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:38 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to alvinator
Our 2021 Redhawk SE 22A also has the JRide sticker but the SE line has no JRide equipment installed. As stated before an alignment and a steering stabilizer are all that is necessary to ensure good handling on the Chevy chassis. By the way, no caster adjustments are possible on the Chevy; it is a completely different front end than the Ford.

You may want to have your coach weighed and tire pressures adjusted using your tire manufacturer's loading chart. The 22 SE coaches have a very high CCC rating and you may be able to lower your tire pressures for a softer ride. YMMV.

So, enjoy your coach with the fake JRide sticker!
Demco Stay n Play
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinator View Post
Our 2021 Redhawk SE 22A also has the JRide sticker but the SE line has no JRide equipment installed. As stated before an alignment and a steering stabilizer are all that is necessary to ensure good handling on the Chevy chassis. By the way, no caster adjustments are possible on the Chevy; it is a completely different front end than the Ford.

You may want to have your coach weighed and tire pressures adjusted using your tire manufacturer's loading chart. The 22 SE coaches have a very high CCC rating and you may be able to lower your tire pressures for a softer ride. YMMV.

So, enjoy your coach with the fake JRide sticker!
Thanks for the info!!! Have a service/warranty visit (minor issues) previously scheduled for this Monday....will be talking to Salesman again....he talked up the JRide quality....obviously we didn't do enough homework there....we had researched the Chevy vs Ford issue in depth and finding the Chevy was hard....do not regret the Chevy at all!! We pull a 14' V-Nose cargo trailer woth 2 heavy motorcycles and it does great!! Thanks again!
On the Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #13

After research and discussions with Jayco, I think the Redhawk SE JRide amounts to the rubber body mounts. The Redhawk line on the Ford E-450 additionally comes with the Hellwig springs and balanced driveshaft. I believe the front and rear sway bars are Ford standard. There's really not much choice now for a 22' gas Jayco since Jayco cancelled my original order on the 2021 Redhawk 22J, stating that the Redhawk 22J is now discontinued.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #14

Quote:
After research and discussions with Jayco, I think the Redhawk SE JRide amounts to the rubber body mounts. The Redhawk line on the Ford E-450 additionally comes with the Hellwig springs and balanced driveshaft. I believe the front and rear sway bars are Ford standard. There's really not much choice now for a 22' gas Jayco since Jayco cancelled my original order on the 2021 Redhawk 22J, stating that the Redhawk 22J is now discontinued.
The salesman talked up J Ride when we bought an E-450 Red Hawk 24B. I did some research before going to the dealer and, IMHO, J Ride is a joke. It has Ford stock sway bars, rubber body mounts and Helwig helper springs..that's all.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #15

We have a 2016 23X2. It has the JRide label. My research here and on Jayco site indicated that the primary differences between JRide and JRidePlus was the shocks and the rear swaybar. We did install the Bilstein shocks but when I contacted Hellwig directly, they said the had never made an upgrade swaybar for the Chevy. Handling has not been an issue, so haven't pursued the steering stabilizer upgrade. FWIW
DaSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #16

Didn't I see Two "Levels" of JRide now?
Old 05-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #17

Smile 2016 Redhawk JRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post

For 2016, JRide was the standard according to the Jayco brochure. No mention of JRidePlus as an option. Perhaps this link will clarify the versions:
https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/...pt/jride-plus/
DaSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
J Ride: https://www.fretzrv.com/product-jayco/j-ride

J Ride Plus: https://www.jayco.com/products/class...wk/jride-plus/
Old 05-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #19

My MIL bought an E450 class C with the 7.3L in the Fall of 2020. I drove it 4 hours the other weekend and that 7.3L is a monster, even in the derated form. The E450 gets 350 hp/464 tq. That thing cruised along at 70mph in Wyoming like it was nothing. I believe round trip it averaged 10.4 mpg.

My only other experience with an E-chassis was a Penske truck that had the 5.4 triton and it was a complete dog by comparison. That was an E350 DRW.

If you plan to tow as well I would think the 7.3L would be a good choice.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Hello, I have an opportunity to get a new 2021 Redhawk SE 22C on the Chevy 4500 chassis with the new 6.6 gas engine just being built now or wait until this fall to get a 2022 Redhawk SE on the Ford E-350 chassis with the new 7.3 gas engine. Pricing would be the same. Other than the heavier GVWR of the Chevy chassis and the much nicer electronics in the dash of the Ford. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of what would be the better way to go? Thanks in advance for any insights.
We have a Jayco Redhawk SE on the Chevy Chassis as we preferred the interior layout with the dining table slideout which makes the daytime use much larger.

Ron & Eva
ronsmithcma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy 4500, ford e-350, redhawk, redhawk 22c, redhawk se