Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #1

Redhawk SE 27N Awning issues

Hi all,

I thought I would try asking here before I went to the dealer in case I was missing something or there was am easy fix. I have a 2020 Redhawk 27N with a Carefree Compass Awning. I have only had it for a few months. I just got around to changing the pitch and neither side will move. I spoke with the Awning Company and they said it should be easy to adjust, support the arm, push in the pins and move it. Want to see if anyone had any tips. There is no play at all on either side which seems strange to me, almost like they were somehow locked? Here are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
E0C6C8D0-B4F5-4BFD-A3E9-189CC56A4E0C.jpg   A78A5930-33FC-4729-9EA0-9BBCC35401CE.jpg  
Mabenha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Try bringing the awning all the way in, then back out just a few inches. This way the adjustment arm is almost straight up. That's what I did with mine, and it was easy to press in the buttons, and slide it up or down. If you have it all the way out, there might be too much torque and leverage on the arms, which might prevent the ability to adjust.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #3

Thanks! Tried your suggestion at a few different points, still no luck. The pins are actually lose, even removed them and the tracks on both side are still locked. Guest i need to go to the dealer.
Mabenha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabenha View Post
Hi all,

I thought I would try asking here before I went to the dealer in case I was missing something or there was am easy fix. I have a 2020 Redhawk 27N with a Carefree Compass Awning. I have only had it for a few months. I just got around to changing the pitch and neither side will move. I spoke with the Awning Company and they said it should be easy to adjust, support the arm, push in the pins and move it. Want to see if anyone had any tips. There is no play at all on either side which seems strange to me, almost like they were somehow locked? Here are a few pics.
Searching the forum for info on my owning issue I came across your post. First time I used the awning in the rain, (as I’ve done on my last 2 RV’s), but on My 2019 25R it filled with water and partially collapsed and I got soaked. In the 2 years I’ve owned it I never put it out in the rain again!

I’m thinking it’s the pitch of the awning that’s to flat. We’re you able to finally get the struts loose enough and adjust your pitch? If so how many holes did you move it?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabenha View Post
Thanks! Tried your suggestion at a few different points, still no luck. The pins are actually lose, even removed them and the tracks on both side are still locked. Guest i need to go to the dealer.
You removed the pins and the track is still locked? How did you remove the pins? Do they just come out after you compressed both pins toward the center?

If this slip joint hasn't been changed in a few years it might just be stuck (corroded, perhaps?) together. Would you try some WD-40 on the areas where the channels slide together? Perhaps some gentle twisting would cause them to pop free of each other.