Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #21

A few other difference between Gray and Red. If you[re looking for a smaller coach Redhawk has a 26' model, Mine is a Redhawk 26Xd =28'. The Redhawk has more CCC than the Grayhawk. My wife wasn't going for anything larger than 28' so that sealed my decision. I just got back from the Hershey RV show and I was looking at the Grayhawks and Redhawks. I'm happy with my Redhawk but if I had my druthers (and could get DW to go along), I would take the Grayhawk, although the price difference is mighty enticing.
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:59 AM   #22

This is great hearing from owners of both. Counting down the days until my wife ends 30 years at the Med Clinic She works at. Insurance Precertification. She's the one that fights with the Insurance Companies to make sure they will pay for what you've been paying for. High stress!!!
I was really surprised by her enthusiasm to travel in our own Class C. I have to do the research as if She's happy with the first one we walk into and test drive She'll say the big "YES" I'm lucky........She hates shopping The Entegra seems like a safe bet for approval so far........BUT...............have to be sure in our decision and check out both model lines. I am also considering when we do pick out the right one to spend a little extra and have a independent MH inspector come along for the PDI. I hate surprises and being so green at this I think it might be money well spent.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #23

The only thing I do not like about the new Greyhawk is the expensive fiberglass roof, at least the Redhawk roof would be easier to repair being rubber
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
The only thing I do not like about the new Greyhawk is the expensive fiberglass roof, at least the Redhawk roof would be easier to repair being rubber
Not sure rubber would be cheaper to repair or replace. I do know fiberglass last longer and is preferred by most. I’ve had both. I like fiberglass like my Greyhawk has. No maintenance except checking caulk but they all need that.

The rubber roofs need to be treated every 6 months or so and replaced every XX years. Fiberglass is better in the long run.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #25

Redhawk

I would consider the Redhawk entry level. We decided to go with the Redhawk 29XK 3 years/ 25000 miles ago.
We’ve stayed in 105 degree and 25 degree locations with no issues.
I just had auto level installed at Equalizer in Elkhart for half of Factory option price. We just finished 4 months on the road and have no regrets on our purchase.
dyoung97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #26

Rubber roof treatment is $30 for treatment and less than 1.5 hrs labor.

Replacement cost is all over the board. The new roof system was just put on my friends C with better warranty than OEM and onsite in 2 days. Looks great as I watched the entire process. Cost around 2k.
dyoung97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #27

Hmm, we almost went with Sunseeker liking the winter options..interesting. We chose the 29 mv over the 26 Y as we wanted the bed to be sleepable without extending the slide( and the dealer had a 29 mv on the lot that he gave us for less that the 26Y we would have had to order!
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldfacemt View Post
Hmm, we almost went with Sunseeker liking the winter options..interesting. We chose the 29 mv over the 26 Y as we wanted the bed to be sleepable without extending the slide( and the dealer had a 29 mv on the lot that he gave us for less that the 26Y we would have had to order!
I think that is a great choice. I agree with you not having to put the slide out for a flat bed. PLUS it opens the possibility for a good quality standard mattress.
Congratulations!
Old 09-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Great choice! We love our 29 mvp floorplan. Another plus is there are no appliances or plumbing in any of the slides. Very important! And like you mentioned everything is functional and usable going down the road with the slides in. Happy camping and let us see some pictures when you get it home.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #30

I've always liked the 29MV (and my 2015 was that floor plan), however as the years have gone by that model has grown quite porky w/ the CCC. 2050 is my floor for cargo - the last time we took my 29MV down to Disney w/ the 4 of us in it I only had ~200 pounds left over. The CCC of my 29MV at the time was 2080 pounds or so. The last two on the dealer's lot I saw were around 1500-1600 pounds.

I really don't like travelling at max capacity - the 26Y affords me some extra cargo capacity and I also like maneuvering a smaller coach. Thankfully I have no plumbing on the slides.

If the 29MV had more CCC I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Its a great floorplan.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #31

Quote:
One of the reasons we went with the 29 foot vers 26, being able to use the bed with the slide in. The 26 had the split mattress, which I did not like!

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I've always liked the 29MV (and my 2015 was that floor plan), however as the years have gone by that model has grown quite porky w/ the CCC. 2050 is my floor for cargo - the last time we took my 29MV down to Disney w/ the 4 of us in it I only had ~200 pounds left over. The CCC of my 29MV at the time was 2080 pounds or so. The last two on the dealer's lot I saw were around 1500-1600 pounds.

I really don't like travelling at max capacity - the 26Y affords me some extra cargo capacity and I also like maneuvering a smaller coach. Thankfully I have no plumbing on the slides.

If the 29MV had more CCC I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Its a great floorplan.
Most I think will have enough ccc with any of the Greyhawk floorplans. There are those with larger families that need more but for me and mine we have more than enough.

I have learned over the years that floorplan trumps everything else. We have also learned to leave things at home we don't use at least once every trip. Travel lighter is smarter. I know guys who take every tool they own and then some. I am guilty of doing that back in the day. Problem was I never or rarely used them so now I carry essentials only.

If I need to carry something heavy it goes in the jeep. Getting big heavy stuff out of the motorhome and into the jeep saves ccc. It's a balancing act for sure but doable.

We also learned to not fill the fresh water tank (except for a enough to flush toilet while traveling) and be sure black and grey tanks are empty when traveling. Saves a ton of ccc.

Doing these type things and more has made ccc never an issue.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #33

I don't pull a toad along w/ us. I usually put about 10 gallons of water in the FW tank (I have a little plug in adapter for the hose that counts off the gallons for me), and my other tanks are typically empty.

Good thing about driving a motorhome close to max CCC. It doesn't stay there long !! Every 8-9 miles I lose a little over 6 pounds !!!

Old 09-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #34

CCC already includes passengers and wouldn't count unless you are over 154lbs.

The number of 154lb. passengers is determined apparently by sleeping positions. I would have thought it was determined by the number of seat belts.

For the 31FS, there are 10 sleeping positions so the CCC already includes about 1,500lbs. of people.

It also includes full fresh water tank.

CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity), used Sept 2000 – present, means GVWR minus the following: UVW, full fresh (potable) water weight (including that for the water heater) full LP gas weight, and SCWR. Note: Remember that optional accessories or equipment not included in the UVW will take up part of the Cargo Carrying Capacity.

SCWR (Sleeping Capacity Weight Rating) is the manufacturer–designated number of sleeping positions multiplied by 154 lbs (70 kgs).

Example of Cargo Carrying Capacity computation on a Motorhome Vehicle Weight Information plate:
GVWR 22,000 lbs.
Less UVW – 16,000 lbs.
Less 20 Gallons Fresh Water x 8.3 lbs. Each – 166 lbs.
Less 16 Gallons Propane x 4.5 lbs. Each – 72 lbs.
Less SCWR (4 x 154 lbs.) – 616 lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) – 5,146 lbs.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
CCC already includes passengers and wouldn't count unless you are over 154lbs.

The number of 154lb. passengers is determined apparently by sleeping positions. I would have thought it was determined by the number of seat belts.

It also includes full fresh water tank.
That's absolutely incorrect. If you read your yellow sticker, it will plainly state "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxx pounds". Water and people are not included in the carrying capacity number.

A number of years ago the number DID include the items you mentioned, but that is not the case today.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #36

Propane is however. Forgot that.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #37

So far my favorites are the Entegra Odyssey 29V because it looks like you don't have to move the slides out to be able to use the bed and Dinette and sofa. I like the larger shower also.
I also like the Jayco Greyhawk 30Z. Again for being able to use the bed, sofa, dinette w/out moving the slide out. I also REALLY like the 50" TV ( I am a TV addict) again it has a good size shower.
So far these have really caught my eye as a good possibility for my wife, Golden Retriever and myself.
Does anyone see any problems with either floor plan that would not make it a good choice?
Thanks!
Old 09-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #38

Talking How Many Batteries?

For those who own either the Entegra Odyssey or the Greyhawk how many house battery's can it hold? I have the itch for a good solar system to cut back on gen. use. We will probably do a fair share of boondocking also.
Thanks again,
Rick
Old 09-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #39

Just check your carrying capacity on whatever you buy and make sure you understand what it means. Floor plan could be the very best but if you can’t fill the cabinets that’s a problem.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #40

Shouldn't be a real problem with just the two of us and a Golden. On occasion we might have a Grandchild (all very young) We have always been good about packing light to keep from cluttering things up. When grocery shopping we usually only buy what we're use in three days.