Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2019, 04:30 AM   #1

Refrigerator Issue

Norcold N821RT Refrigerator not working.
I went in our 2010 Greyhawk 31SS yesterday to run the generator (monthly maintenance). After starting the generator I turned on the AC to add some load to the generator. I then opened the refrigerator and found it was not cold, actually pretty warm. We've always kept the refrigerator on when plugged in at the house and had no problems. The light on the screen was on indicating it was operating on AC and the light inside was working. I noticed the temp setting was on 2 and we usually keep it between 5/7. I dont believe we changed it to 2.
At any rate I bumped the setting to 9 (coldest) but nothing happened even after letting it sit for awhile. I tried switching to propane but that didnt work either.
I'll admit I dont know much about the unit beyond using it. Any help, thoughts, pointers are appreciated.
Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
I went in our 2010 Greyhawk 31SS yesterday to run the generator (monthly maintenance). After starting the generator I turned on the AC to add some load to the generator. I then opened the refrigerator and found it was not cold, actually pretty warm. We've always kept the refrigerator on when plugged in at the house and had no problems. The light on the screen was on indicating it was operating on AC and the light inside was working. I noticed the temp setting was on 2 and we usually keep it between 5/7. I dont believe we changed it to 2.
At any rate I bumped the setting to 9 (coldest) but nothing happened even after letting it sit for awhile. I tried switching to propane but that didnt work either.
I'll admit I dont know much about the unit beyond using it. Any help, thoughts, pointers are appreciated.
It usually takes 12-24 hours for the temp to stabilize. If you're in an area that is hot having the a/c off and fridge empty makes it even harder for them to maintain a cold temp. Is the thermistor in place (the little wire on the refrigerator fins) if it falls off it can cause that issue too.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #3

Open the refrigerator access panel on the outside if there is one and look for signs of a coolant leak (green fluid if I remember correctly) or a strong odor of ammonia (another sign of a leak). A coolant leak is also a fire risk so stay vigilant. When you switch to propane do you hear the ignition clicking or the “whoosh” when it lights?
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #4

Get a new thermoster
tym2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It usually takes 12-24 hours for the temp to stabilize. If you're in an area that is hot having the a/c off and fridge empty makes it even harder for them to maintain a cold temp. Is the thermistor in place (the little wire on the refrigerator fins) if it falls off it can cause that issue too.
x2

These refrigerators don't use a compressor, so you may not hear any difference when you change temp settings.

You also need 12v power at the fridge for the thermostat to work and, when on propane, for the igniter to work. The fridge light bulb is 12v, so does the light come on when you open the door?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments and suggestions so far. I do not see any leaks or smell ammonia. My wife is more sensitive to ammonia so I know we dont have a leak, unless it's all gone and the smell has dissipated but with the MH parked in the driveway i feel like we would have smelled it.
The light inside does come on. I left the unit off overnight and just turned it back on. I'll check it later and look.into finding a new thermistor just in case.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:05 AM   #7

Thermistor Replaced, Same Issue

I replaced the thermistor last evening and checked the refrigerator this morning (13 hours later). There is no hint of it cooling. Still have not detected any leaks. Any thoughts on checking or replacing the circuit board? Is there a reset on the unit.
Thanks.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:26 AM   #8

any codes flashing on the read out?

A couple of times we had the refrigerator go out because while washing or a very windy storm had water splash in the vent and it effected the circuit board.
although the manual says it was un-serviceable and it had to be replaced we did some research (u-tube hack) we found that by using a strong magnet we could reset the relay and it would start working again.
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #9

No codes. The only thing on the display is the line next to A/C. I could make more sense out of it if there was a code. I'm going to try resetting the circuit board later this weekend. It's just puzzling me. It was working fine and then..... with no codes.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #10

Did you switch to propane and try it? Same exact thing happened to us yesterday. I found the electric heating element was bad. Replaced it at the campground today all works well now.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #11

If the wires leading to the electric heating element are accessible, it would be an easy matter to troubleshoot. You can ohm out the heating element (when no power is applied!!!) and also verify 120 volts is across the wires when it should be cooling.

If there is no 120 volts, that could be a board problem. If the 120 volts is there and it is not heating up, the element is bad.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #12

Suspect leaking cooling unit

I tried the refrigerator on propane. It started to get cool after a few hours so I switched it off so it could cool and I could check the heating element. The wires at the element looked burnt so I figured that was the issue. But after opening the metal shroud I think it's a bigger issue - leaking cooling unit. I've added some pictures. Please provide thoughts and suggestions. We are planning to trade the MH in soon for a 5th wheel so how much more $ do I want to put into it? I'm not sure and I welcome your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
20190818_151854.jpg   20190818_151904.jpg   20190818_151915.jpg  
Old 08-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #13

That almost looks like a significant water leak down the back of the refrigerator chimney. Would explain the rotten and discolored wood and moisture could have shorted out the electrical wires explaining the burnt ones your seeing. Kind of hard for me to tell though because it looks kind of gooey as well so it could be coolant that dropped down onto the electrical connections too. When was the last time someone checked the seals and seams on the roof of the motor home?
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #14

I didnt think about a water leak. I will check out the roof. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #15

Also make sure your gas valve is open on the outside by the tank. I’ve done that silly mistake before. Let us all know what happened.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #16

fridge not working?

Quote:
check the thermistor.i just had the same thing happen.cheap fix even if you have the shop do it.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:05 PM   #17

I'm pretty sure the cooling unit is shot. Bummer as we are getting ready to trade in for a 5W. After replacing the thermistor and the heating element the refrigerator still did not cool down after 20+ hours. I ran it for almost 12 hours on gas and it was still as warm as when I started. Guess I'll see how much a non-working refrigerator costs me at the negotiating table. I'm really not ready to spend $2K on a refrigerator just to get rid of the rig.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #18

Norcold Recall

Quote:
I don't know if this recall has anything to do with but I just stumbled on it in Google. I am heading over to where my Jayco is stored to day to see if my Norcold fridge matches these serial numbers. See this link...

https://norcold.com/recall-information/
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #19

Thanks. Unfortunately my refrigerator is a 800 series - n821rt. Not a 1200 series. Dang missed out on that!
Old 08-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #20

not a complicated fix

Quote:
Thanks. Unfortunately my refrigerator is a 800 series - n821rt. Not a 1200 series. Dang missed out on that!
There is another part that may have failed and its called the heater.very easy to check continuity if you are capable of that.or the control board may need replacing.cooling units can be rebuilt as well.new fridges are way expensive sodo the research and save some big money.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote