Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2020, 10:04 PM   #1

Smile Replace Jackknife couch

I just purchased a 2005 Greyhawk 24 SS. E450 V10 The slide out wall has the couch in it. I have about 75 inches to work with. I want to remove couch and put two separate recliners in its place. I am wondering how it will work to anchor or bolt them down.

Before I go ask at some RV dealers, has anyone out here ever done this? Advice?
haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by haak View Post
I just purchased a 2005 Greyhawk 24 SS. E450 V10 The slide out wall has the couch in it. I have about 75 inches to work with. I want to remove couch and put two separate recliners in its place. I am wondering how it will work to anchor or bolt them down.

My recliners are not secured, in fact none of the trailers weve owned had the recliners screwed down. The current tt does use a strap that goes around that backs of the chairs (after turning them back to back). Never had a problem.
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:36 AM   #3

Replaced ours with two recliners in a Greyhawk just use existing seat belts to hold in place when traveling
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:26 PM   #4

Quote:

75" is a lot. We had much, much less. We replaced ours with two RecPro recliners. A couple of "gotchas" that I didn't think of before hand.

They're now *high*. The slide out is already up 3", so the recliners are raised up too. And I had to build a platform out of 3/4" ply to secure them.

We *like* them, we're glad we did it.
I just wish they were normal height, not up 3 3/4"...
Means you kind'a got to "jump" a bit to get in.

The other thing is making sure you have clearance to recline with the slide in.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:47 PM   #5

Thanks a lot for your input. It has me thinking some more. One post here says they use the seat belt straps to secure them. I will look when I remove the couch to see if there are straps there.

I just measured again, and I for sure have at least 72 inches in width. We are planning on RecPro when it comes to purchase the recliners. We are looking at the wall hugger that only needs 4 inches if room from back wall.

So you took 3/4 ply and glued/screwed it to the existing floor, then bolted the chair down with a type of lag screw?

Thanks again.
haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:26 AM   #6

We used the Lazy Boy recliners the backs come off easy in and out to clean when we get to campground we can put the chairs where it is comfy for us seat belts work great they were on the existing sofa
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #7

We used Recpro power reclining loveseat in our 26xd Redhawk. Only had 58 inch width to work with. I extended the slide floor about 6 inches to get the depth needed using 1/2 inch plywood. Pulled the existing carpet out, then reinstalled it over the new plywood. Had to relocate an electrical box and install a new outlet for the power recliners. Used 3/8" x 1" lag bolts to secure the recliners to the floor. Very easy project and we love the new seating. Good luck with yours.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:

So you took 3/4 ply and glued/screwed it to the existing floor, then bolted the chair down with a type of lag screw?

Thanks again.

I used 3/4 because I had a sheet of it handy. And I wasn't sure about the overhang.
I used the old sofa bolt holes to bolt the ply down. Biggest Fender washers I could find.

Then I used 1/4" bolts to come up thru the ply and bolt the recliners to the ply.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #9

Replace Jack KnifeSofa with RecPro Recliners

I replaced the Jack Knife Sofa with the RecPro 59" recliners in my 2018 Redhawk 26X1. I used 3/4 plywood to extend the platform to 36" so the recliners could be fully supported and screwed down. I removed the carpet and face from the slide out covering the new 3/4" plywood with carpet and aluminum angle for the edges. I then secured it using the original Jack Knife Sofa mounting bolts. This also allowed the original seat belts to be used.
Attached Thumbnails
01-JackKnifeSofa1.jpg   02-JackKnifeSofaRemoved.jpg   03-SlideoutPlatformBare-25.jpg   04-PlatformWithOneRecliner.jpg  
DavePhx is offline   Reply With Quote