Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

Replacement entertainment system head unit

Greetings, all. We have a 2015 Seneca 37FS in which the backup camera stopped working. The service rep told me his diagnostics indicated the failure was something inside the in-dash Clarion head unit, which will need to be replaced. Do any of you have recommendations for a replacement in-dash unit? I apparently do not need new cameras, just the in-dash unit. And, I prefer to not spend a fortune on this. Thank you for your help.
PopRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #2

My Seneca's original Clarion died an early death also, the Clarion tech support folks believed it was a bad board in the head unit. My original Jayco 2-year warranty was still in effect but the unit they would have replaced it with was reportedly no better. I again contacted Clarion tech support to see if they could "ballpark" a repair cost but then they offered a "goodwill" credit on a new unit. So I ended up purchasing their new (at that time) NX706 unit which I like very much. Bigger screen, better "touch" response, and terrific sound. The wiring was identical so it was pretty much a "plug and play" swap. I say pretty much since I took that opportunity to hook up the rear camera audio output so I can hear the DW backing me up if the spot is tight. That took an extra component but I am pleased with how it works. Sometimes her hand signals left much to be desired!

The new unit will still output audio to the coach ceiling speakers and I can still output DVD video to the bunk TV if needed. And with the Sirius radio module (that plugged right into the Clarion) I can continue to enjoy my Sat radio stations on the road.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #3

Replacement entertainment head unit

Thank you. My apologies for the delayed response: I had an unexpected hospital stay.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #4

Also, what is the additional component to which you refer concerning the rear camera audio output?
Old 06-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRocks View Post
Also, what is the additional component to which you refer concerning the rear camera audio output?
Here is a thread where I discuss my rear camera audio modification.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...und-53646.html

In a nutshell, the switching module I added directs the audio from the rear camera and sends it into the Clarion's Aux audio input. I could not connect the camera audio directly to that Aux input since it was already in use by the bunk TV so it can play audio through the overhead speakers. The switching module is triggered by the reverse lights, as is the the Clarion so the video switches to the camera. So when in reverse the Clarion switches the video and audio source to the camera input and the Aux audio input. And my audio switch changes the audio to the camera microphone output. I hear the sound from the camera, can even adjust the volume like any other source.

Any questions please just ask!
Old 06-15-2018, 06:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRocks View Post
Thank you. My apologies for the delayed response: I had an unexpected hospital stay.
I hope things are improving, best of luck.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #7

Going well so far. Thank you.