Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #1

replacement for backup camera 2009 Greyhawk

Hello,

I find that the quality of the camera (I assume it's not the display) is quite bad, and the angle isn't as wide as I would like it. Is there a way I can replace the oem camera with a newer/better one? Or should I just get an aftermarket unit with its own display? I'd rather not have to have another gizmo in the cockpit if I can avoid it...
jfguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #2

We have always chosen Rear View Safety replacement camera systems for our motorhomes, and we plan to do the same with this one.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Electron...BoCxSoQAvD_BwE

We will need to remove the sun shield (which we've done before) to mount it in the factory opening of our current motorhome.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #3

I replaced mine with an aftermarket camera with a monitor that replaces the Ford truck chassis rear view mirror. The monitor has a provision to reverse the image so that it looks like it would with a real mirror. The original truck chassis mirror is useless because there is no rear window for it to see out of. I bought the camera and monitor at Camping World and had them install it in my 2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS is in its storage lot right now.

The camera is acturally made by RVS Systems. You can see the technical details here: RVS-770619-NM | Backup Camera System One (1) Camera Setup with 7" Replacement Mirror Display | RVS Systems

You can use the existing back up camera cable if you buy a connection adapter. I was in a hurry and did not have time to wait for an adaptor. So I paid extra to have a new cable run to the back of the motorhome.

I am very satisfied with the result. The camera is almost too wide angle in its view. Makes cars look like they are much further away than they really are. But you get used to it after while. I pull a Honda Accord on a tow dolly. The camera gives me peace of mind that I can see the Honda readily.

The camera is not so good at night. I often just turn it off if I am tooling down an interstate highway. I don't like to drive after dark if I don't have to. Even then, I stick to interstate highways where there are few surprises.

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Bob View Post
I replaced mine with an aftermarket camera with a monitor that replaces the Ford truck chassis rear view mirror. The monitor has a provision to reverse the image so that it looks like it would with a real mirror. The original truck chassis mirror is useless because there is no rear window for it to see out of. I bought the camera and monitor at Camping World and had them install it in my 2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS is in its storage lot right now.

The camera is acturally made by RVS Systems. You can see the technical details here: RVS-770619-NM | Backup Camera System One (1) Camera Setup with 7" Replacement Mirror Display | RVS Systems

You can use the existing back up camera cable if you buy a connection adapter. I was in a hurry and did not have time to wait for an adaptor. So I paid extra to have a new cable run to the back of the motorhome.

I am very satisfied with the result. The camera is almost too wide angle in its view. Makes cars look like they are much further away than they really are. But you get used to it after while. I pull a Honda Accord on a tow dolly. The camera gives me peace of mind that I can see the Honda readily.

The camera is not so good at night. I often just turn it off if I am tooling down an interstate highway. I don't like to drive after dark if I don't have to. Even then, I stick to interstate highways where there are few surprises.
Good to know I will look into that. Has anyone bought any of these double din head unit that have everything including a backup camera ?
jfguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote