Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #1

Replacement Options for Girard Tankless WH

I have a 2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. The Girard tankless water heater has completely failed and I need to replace it. Is there a 6 gallon water heater that would fit in the same location as my current Girard GSWH-1M? Is it easy to swap out or would it take a lot of modification to my RV?
schristley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #2

I looked into this once before, but decided to keep my Girard for the time being.

I didn't keep my notes from that research, but the lynch pin is the exterior opening and the internal cavity needed for it. My dealership said that nothing would fit, but I don't feel that is 100% true.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #3

I replaced mine with a Suburban SW6DE. This water heater will fit without any mod to the exterior opening. You'll have to look around for 115VAC wiring to supply the electric side of the water heater. On my MV there was a bundle of wires fairly close by so I figured out which wire fed what circuit and chose to use the inverter 115VAC. You'll also have to decide where to put switches for the 115VAC and the propane and then fish those wires in. You'll also have to make some minor mods to the propane and plumbing to make it work.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #4

schristley, if you are still within warranty see if Jayco will pay for the w/h replace. They paid for mine.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:05 AM   #5

Don, I had a shop do an estimate for me to replace my crappy tankless water heater. They said something about having to do something with the propane line, which seamed to make it costly. Does that make sense to you and did you do the work yourself?
Colorado Springs, CO
JDSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #6

I didn't do it myself but the installer said nothing about adapting propane being a problem.

As far as cost, they charged me $1250 but I got the shaft. The water heater can be had at Amazon for around $350 (they charged me $600) and then $600 for the install. I know I could have done better elsewhere.

Sounds like you need to go elsewhere and get another assessment of the situation.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #7

We just got our Greyhawk back from the dealer last Friday. After several calls to Jayco by our dealer and one from me, they finally authorized a replacement. We now have a 6-gallon Suburban SW6DE. At least for our 31FK, there was no cutting required. We will be taking it on its first outing in two weeks and are looking forward to less troublesome showers!

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #8

Nice going NC! I should have been more patient in replacing mine and gotten it financed by Jayco. Guess I hated it enough to just "get er done".
Old 04-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #9

The Girard had always been touchy, but after the last two trips where it would randomly fail to lite (frequently for the rinse phase of a shower), we were done with it. It was going to be replaced --- period.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
Old 04-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #10

If these are so finicky why did Jayco add them as an option for 2017 TT's?
It does say generation 3...maybe better?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
If these are so finicky why did Jayco add them as an option for 2017 TT's?
It does say generation 3...maybe better?
You can only hope!!
Old 04-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #12

I think ours was the second generation. I understand they work okay for camping with full hookups, but we usually boondock or have only water and electric at state parks. Without the sewer connection, we could not run the shower constantly without quickly filling the grey tank.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
Old 04-07-2016, 12:21 AM   #13

If only RVs came with the same anti-scalding plumbing that is in residential showers, then maybe the tankless could work better, but seeing as it depends on flowing water, not even that would work well. We do long road trips mostly and go for a couple days without proper showers until we have full hookups.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #14

The tank-less water heater is, best case, useless when using the water pump... worst case, dangerous (we've met 3 people in campgrounds that have been burned when the water pump cycled).

Dealers we've talked to do a brisk business in replacing them, and sometimes Jayco will pay.

The tank-less may work in a campground, but why pay for the electric, and then use your own gas... doesn't make sense to me.

JMHO
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #15

I have a 3rd generation and don't find it to work any better than others have described of the other versions. I will be on the water pump this weekend for the first time so I'm not looking forward to that.
Colorado Springs, CO
JDSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
We just got our Greyhawk back from the dealer last Friday. After several calls to Jayco by our dealer and one from me, they finally authorized a replacement. We now have a 6-gallon Suburban SW6DE. At least for our 31FK, there was no cutting required. We will be taking it on its first outing in two weeks and are looking forward to less troublesome showers!
where did they put your switches for the new heater, elctric on/off and gas on/off
thegatorsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #17

Switch placement will depend on the layout or your rig. On my 29MV I put them on the stove side of the fridge. There's enough room between the side of the fridge and the paneling for the switches to fit. After the install I also changed out the 115VAC switch to a switch with a pilot light so I know when it's turned on.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #18

The electric on/off switch is built into the water heater unit behind the access panel. At first I thought that would be annoying, but then realized we do not turn the electric heating element on and off often. When we hook up at a campsite, the electric is turned on and stays on until we are ready to disconnect, usually several days later. Plus, I'd want to open the access panel anyway to use the pressure relief valve to make certain the tank is full before powering the electric element on.

The dealer removed the old Girard tankless temperature control knob from the bathroom wall and installed the gas on/off switch in its place. Looks like it was there from day one. Having the gas control inside is nice because I turn that on in the evening and then back off after showers and dishes are done.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
Old 05-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #19

Just finished 1500 trip 2016 Seneca

Just finished 1500 mile trip with my new Seneca, it drives like dream, everything worked like a charm except the tankless what're heater tripped and I had to pull out the useless tech manual. They talk about a reset button but don't show you where to look. Thank god someone out there youtubed how to reset the tankless hot water heater. As for the fueling, I did passenger tank first then moved rig to other pump and filled driver side just like it was recommended in this forum. With 2500 miles on the odometer, during this trip I averaged 11-12 miles per gallon non towing. Florida to Indiana round trip. Oh it took about 2 gallons of DEF.
Joe1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #20

hopper, nc what models did you use? I am thinking SW6DEL so I can turn the electric on/off from inside
thegatorsrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
girard, tankless, water heater