Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2021, 05:51 AM   #1

Replacing LED tail lights and Roof LED marker lights

Hi there all! 2018 Greyhawk has an LED tail light that is not working. Also, the little yellow lights on the roof on top of the cab are dim. Has anyone had these issues and can you help us with a “fix”?? We called the dealer and got little help. The LED tail lights appear to have a sealant around them. Would these be covered by Ford warranty?? Only 11,000 miles on the unit. And, some of those little yellow lights located on top of the bunk seem to appear dim. They too need your help. Thank you in advance.

"People will forget what you did or what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel" ! Maya Angelou
Bonnshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnshack View Post
The LED tail lights appear to have a sealant around them. Would these be covered by Ford warranty??

I don't think Ford would cover them. I'm pretty sure those lights are added on by Jayco. If the lights are dim in general, then I'd be starting with a voltmeter and checking the voltages. It's very simple to do.

Yes, there's a sealant/caulk around the lights. But with a plastic putty knife and some tenacity, you can pull them away.

I'd start with one taillight. Just see if you can remove the plastic cover to get access to the bulb and wires. You may not have to remove any caulk to do so. If you measure low voltage there, then the next step I'd do is staring the Hunt for the Bad Ground connection. We can all help you with that step once you get there.

Maybe Jayco got (another) bad batch of LED lights. I've replaced just about all of them in our interior.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #3

Only the cab lights appear to be dim. Part of the same tail light is working while part of it is out??

"People will forget what you did or what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel" ! Maya Angelou
Bonnshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #4

Ah. Ok.

Test with the engine running. So you know you're getting full voltage to everything. So - only the outside cap lights are dim? The other outside marker lights are full brightness? If so, that's a bit odd.

For the tailight that's partly working - you need a helper. Figure out what's out. Running lights, brake light, reverse?

Pop the cover off the bad taillight, turn the lights on and if you have a voltmeter, check for voltage. LEDs do fail, but failure for quality ones are rare. But -- quality and Jayco seems to be at odds these days.

You may need the helper to step on the brake, or pop it into reverse. If there's voltage going to the part of the LED that's out, then you know to replace the fixture.

Some rear-taillight assemblies have separate "bulbs". Other cheaper ones are "all in one" - there's no way to easily replace the lights that are out and you have to buy a new fixture.

As for the dim cap over-cab lights, I'm thinking you're going to have to go up there and dig into them. Another idea for Creative Debugging would be to buy a simple. cheap, LED marker light from Walmart. Like $5. Just any old LED light.

Climb up, remove the old cap light, wire in the Walmart one and see if it's bright or dim... Dim? We've got a voltage or ground problem. Bright? Time for a new light fixture.

What I'm suggesting is that you figure out what's going on before buying new bulbs or assemblies. Would be a bummer to buy replacement fixtures only to have those also be dim...
Old 06-13-2021, 07:27 PM   #5

Cab lights

My 2017 Melbourne had one cab light stop working three years after I bought it. The other 4 went bad the fifth year. Two of then still had half of the led lights working and the other two had no led’s working.
The replacements I bought were much brighter than the originals.
bm9201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm9201 View Post
My 2017 Melbourne had one cab light stop working three years after I bought it. The other 4 went bad the fifth year. Two of then still had half of the led lights working and the other two had no led’s working.
The replacements I bought were much brighter than the originals.
Where did you buy them? Part #’s?
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote