Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2016, 06:55 AM   #1

? Replacing master battery switch

I notice that my master battery switch does not work. When I press it, it does not shut off my 12 volt system because the lights work in the coach. It appears the switch is at least worn out in position "being on" so I can use my 12 volt system. My question is when repairing this is it likely just the switch or some wiring problem that needs to be traced back to the battery? This would be hard for me to do. The repair would be easy as the switch only has a few connecting wires with clips. My greyhawk is 2003. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Chris H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:36 AM   #2

In most cases the master switch controls a solenoid located near the coach batteries. Some troubleshooting is probably indicated to determine whether the master switch itself is bad and holding the solenoid on, or whether the solenoid itself is stuck in the on position. You may be able to do that by carefully removing the wires from the switch and see if the 12 volts shuts off. If it does, bad switch is likely. If it stays on with switch wires disconnected, may be the solenoid itself.

Good luck!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #3

Hey, Robb thanks, I tried what what you suggested and disconnected the battery disconnect switch. It appears ok as the 12 volt system itself works (my lights remained on) so I guess the problem likely is the solenoid itself. I looked at the solenoid to plan a fix and change it, the solenoid appears easy enough to replace even for a novice like me but it is very hard to get at because it is on the back wall behind the roll out battery tray. How is someone to work in this space with no room? Have you done this before or any suggestions? Thanks
Old 09-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #4

If I were to "get into" that compartment I would rather spend the time installing a real 12VDC cut-off switch. The switch in the coach and solenoid combination in the compartment doesn't disconnect everything for long-term storage.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #5

Sometimes the best way to work in that compartment is to do it from the bottom. If the battery tray rolls out, sometimes there is more access from under the coach with the tray slid out. You may even have to remove the batteries completely. If you do, take a few pictures before disassembly to help when it comes time to put things all back.

One more thing you can try to help isolate the issue - With the master toggle switch disconnected as you tried, lightly "tap" on the solenoid with a small hammer or wrench being very careful not to short out the leads. Sometimes the tapping will cause it to disconnect. But the "on" trigger must be turned off or it will not release.

If tapping works, replace the solenoid when you can. It may start to work again, but it only is a matter of time.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #6

The solenoid you refer to is a latching relay. Jump the positive an negative posts a second to send a current and the relay should disengage.
Charles & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #7

I have never jumped my coach battery, is this done the same way as jumping a car battery? THX