Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2022, 01:26 PM   #1

Replacing n8xrt with residential

Has anyone replaced the norcold n8xrt with a residential fridge. Is it complicated? So frustrated!! Gets to acceptable temp overnight but heats up during the day!
Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:05 PM   #2

Yes,,,Replaced my Nocold refer with a residential in my last two class “C”. I replaced my present 2018 Greyhawk Nocold refer with a residential from Lowes. I removed old refer door then removed bad refer from hole in wall then took it out the door. Had to unhook door closer rod. Then measured hole for new refer looked on line at Lowes website for refer with close measurements found Two different brands,,went to local Lowes and bought refer. Had to remove door to go through Greyhawk door ,,this is the BEST thing I have ever done to my Greyhawk. You might have to use a small piece of trim around new refer in wall hole….
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:33 AM   #3

Did you install a separate inverter or purchase a new larger wattage inverter when replacing n8xrt? Was the refrigerator smaller than the one replaced? Was the wiring complicated ? As you see, I have lots of questions. Very frustrated. Would like to talk with you. Could you call me? 904-219-0114.
Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 02:09 PM   #4

Residential fridge

I replaced ours in our 2019 Greyhawk 30x

Turned out great and love it.
Attached Thumbnails
B7894762-8C86-4AB0-92CF-FFE38522EB09.jpg   3058D1D0-CB51-464D-AC9C-26939CF69079.jpg   3D8C9635-7958-4F91-ABDC-1B57B9B88E0A.jpg  
gjkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:30 PM   #5

New residential refer was a 10 cubic ft model. I allways run my generator when traveling , because I usually run at least 1 roof a/c….But factory 1,000 watt inventor I have you can run refer if necessary just watch your battery level . Also your engine will keep the battery charged while traveling in the Winter time when using invertor. I just run an extension cord to a wall outlet that is connected to the invertor such as the tv in the bunk beds…
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:31 AM   #6

had my redhawk only 1 year. my n8xrt cools ok so far , but i read a lot of bad stuff about them. have added fans inside and out to help . what else to do, what problems should i look for ???
Old 10-13-2022, 10:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkids View Post
I replaced ours in our 2019 Greyhawk 30x

Turned out great and love it.
That looks fantastic! Did you have to custom make/cut that trim all around? How did you secure the refrigerator in the space? Is that a special door latch you made or where did you get it?

I am thinking of doing the same thing. It seems like a big project, but I think I can handle it. I've replaced a fuel pump in my Ford Excursion before so this should be much simpler...I hope.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
That looks fantastic! Did you have to custom make/cut that trim all around? How did you secure the refrigerator in the space? Is that a special door latch you made or where did you get it?

I am thinking of doing the same thing. It seems like a big project, but I think I can handle it. I've replaced a fuel pump in my Ford Excursion before so this should be much simpler...I hope.
The trim was standard ranch molding trim, ripped in half , painted flat black.

To secure it, I fastened a screw the frame for n the back. The front used an L bracket to front of the cabinet, covered with the black trim.

The door latch was ordered from Etrailer.com.

If you need any more information, drop me a private message.
gjkids is offline   Reply With Quote