Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #1

Replacing sofa with recliners

I have a 2010 Greyhawk GS31. It has a J-sofa that I would like to remove and replace with 2 small wall-saver recliners. When I looked under the sofa, I discovered that there is a wooden box (roughly 18x18x4) mounted on the floor on the left side under the sofa next to the outside wall and the oven cabinet. This box is directly over the generator and has wires coming from it, so it more than likely is connected to the generator. The manual for the MH is not detailed enough to show this box or what it's function is. I need to re-locate the box in order to install the recliners. I've called my dealer and Jayco for information about the box, but they have not been helpful so far. Does anyone know what this box is and whether I can relocate it? Does anyone know of any manual or other documentation that could give me more information about the box? Surely, this is a standard part included in every GS31 like mine. There must be some information somewhere about it. If anyone can shed light on this, I would surely appreciate it.

rdale1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #2

That box is your sub woffer for your surround sound

moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #3

Huh! I didn't even know that I had a surround sound. Still learning. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #4

I am the guy who posted the original thread. For those of you out there who may try this, I found out what the wooden box covers. It is not the surround sound system, as an earlier reply suggested. I found a couple of heavy cables that are clearly connected to the generator, which is directly beneath it. Also, there is a copper tube coming out of the floor, which I am pretty certain is the propane line going to the stove, which is immediately adjacent. The good news is that the box is much larger than it needs to be, so I should have no trouble locating a couple of small recliners there, as long as they have 4 feet rather than a large pedestal. If I run into any problems, I'll let you all know.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Rdale, if there is a chance that you can take "before" and "after" pics, as well as pics of what the area looks like under the couch when you remove it, it could help others who are interested in the same mod. Neat idea and thanks for posting
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #6

Unfortunately, it is too late for the before picture, as I have already removed the sofa. I will take pics of the area where the sofa was located. I am still looking for small recliners that will fit into that area, which is 60 inches wide and 30 inches deep. I know they make such recliners because we had one when we had a condo and room was at a premum. Stay tuned . . .
Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to jloving
Replacing sofa with recliners

Please post what you end up with. I have a 2011 Greyhawk 31FK and I want to replace the sofa with recliners. This is early in my plan and I have not measured the space yet.

I see posts where you should use regular furniture and not "RV" furniture because the RV stuff will be more expensive and not as good quality. I was thinking Lazy-Boy. Do I have to secure the recliner to the floor or just put it in?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloving View Post
Please post what you end up with. I have a 2011 Greyhawk 31FK and I want to replace the sofa with recliners. This is early in my plan and I have not measured the space yet.

I see posts where you should use regular furniture and not "RV" furniture because the RV stuff will be more expensive and not as good quality. I was thinking Lazy-Boy. Do I have to secure the recliner to the floor or just put it in?
I did a similar mod to the OP in my last TT, but it was the dinette I removed and replaced with two small swivel recliners. I did go with mfg because I wanted to get the same fabric, and because they bolted to the floor. They were a bit more expensive, but very durable and very comfortable.

To answer your question, I don't think you necessarily HAVE to secure to the floor. I say this because the first summer I did this mod, I had not bolted to floor yet. Don't ask me why, we just didn't LOL. And they never really moved much at all. Many newer campers have dinettes with free standing chairs that don't move much either so I do not think it is required if you would prefer to find a cheaper version of a non RV type. Just make sure you can fit them through the door! RV doors are smaller and not all recliners will fit through - that is the main challenge with non RV furniture is that they are larger and getting them in is a challenge.
CampingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdale1942 View Post
Unfortunately, it is too late for the before picture, as I have already removed the sofa. I will take pics of the area where the sofa was located. I am still looking for small recliners that will fit into that area, which is 60 inches wide and 30 inches deep. I know they make such recliners because we had one when we had a condo and room was at a premum. Stay tuned . . .

Check out a place that sell Lazy Boy recliners. That is where we bought ours. They are also easy to load because the backs just slide off.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #10

Small Recliners

Camping World has small recliners and often on clearance in the stores.

daviddudek is offline   Reply With Quote