Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #1

Lightbulb Replacing the Engine in a 1996 Jayco Eagle Class C Motorhome

Hello Everyone,

I returned from a trip that lasted a few months to an engine that threw a rod. It's a 1996 Jayco Eagle Class C Motorhome. After doing a little investigating, the head gasket seems to have failed because there was coolant in the engine when we checked the oil. I'm looking to replace the engine altogether and am currently doing research on the process. I figured I would throw this thread out there and see if anyone has attempted to replace their engine and what their experience has been. A friend of mine is concerned about how we would replace the engine- whether the engine is welded into the frame or if we could just remove the front end/bumper to get to it. Thanks for any and all help.
thedollyreva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #2

Engine replacement

I am not familiar with yoru Class C. What chassis is it built on ? Regardless, I have never heard of an engine being welded to the chassis in any vehicle. You may be able to access the transmission to engine bolts by removing the doghouse. Motormounts on each side of the engine secure it to the frame.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #3

It's a "typical" Chevy van chassis with a house on it, so an engine change would be no different.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #4

It's built on a 1996 Chevrolet Silverado chassis, I believe.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Have you ever done an engine swap in a vehicle before?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #6

My father is flying in to be part of the action, and he has swapped and rebuilt engines many times.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedollyreva View Post
It's built on a 1996 Chevrolet Silverado chassis, I believe.
I changed my post..
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #8

I would say having done a few engines, a nice engine hoist and she has to come out the front and no it has engine mounts on the frame not welded or you would need a cutting torch to get it out. And I always found it easier just to pull the whole thing trans and all and it may pay you while its out check the tansmission sure save a headache later
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedollyreva View Post
My father is flying in to be part of the action, and he has swapped and rebuilt engines many times.
Good. A couple of tips that I'm sure he will tell you also.

First, take pictures of everything as you are disassembling. It helps tremendously to have something to look back at when you are trying to put it all back together.

Second, get a bunch of storage bags that you can write on with a sharpie. As you take each component apart, place it and the hardware for it in a separate bag and label it. Again, it will make you life a whole lot easier when it comes time to put it back together.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Good. A couple of tips that I'm sure he will tell you also.

First, take pictures of everything as you are disassembling. It helps tremendously to have something to look back at when you are trying to put it all back together.

Second, get a bunch of storage bags that you can write on with a sharpie. As you take each component apart, place it and the hardware for it in a separate bag and label it. Again, it will make you life a whole lot easier when it comes time to put it back together.
Agree, and have an additional thought: I just removed the cab of my F450 to do the downpipes from the turbo and rebuild the transmission. I set up my GoPro on a tripod, with a big chip, and let it film the entire thing. I found myself narrating (to the future me) when I ran into snags and wanted a reference for later.

It turned out to be extremely helpful and I did not have to stop and clean my hands and take photos. I captured nearly everything...felt like it was a documentary, however next time I'd set up a few auxillary lights.

Anyway, just a thought because it helped me a lot when I was putting the entire thing back together.

Also, I have a barely used 1991 Chevy 24' straight truck on the side of my building with a solid, 4-bolt Tonawanda 427 and an Allison automatic and 24K original miles, available for cheap as I'm moving and don't want to take it. PM me if you want to know more. (shameless plug)
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBo View Post
Agree, and have an additional thought: I just removed the cab of my F450 to do the downpipes from the turbo and rebuild the transmission. I set up my GoPro on a tripod, with a big chip, and let it film the entire thing. I found myself narrating (to the future me) when I ran into snags and wanted a reference for later.
This is actually a very good idea. I'll have to try it the next time I get in to something unfamiliar.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #12

It's no different than a van body, I owned a auto parts/ service center for 40 years and have replaced engines every way possible from out the front, with grille removed to lifting them out the driver side door and everything in between. My advice would be to purchase a rebuilt exchange long block. I am assuming that the engine is a 454 CID and they normally can't take the extra high RPM's of the use the motorhome requires, but there is a lot of them that can as well, watch the RPM's!!The other advice I would offer would be to replace the tranny cooler and have the radiator flushed. When they throw a rod small pieces go everywhere so when you put the new engine in those pieces will circulate right back into the engine and you will be right back where you started IMPORTANT!...good luck, been there!!
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #13

It's no different than a van body, I owned a auto parts/ service center for 40 years and have replaced engines every way possible from out the front, with grille removed to lifting them out the driver side door and everything in between. My advice would be to purchase a rebuilt exchange long block. I am assuming that the engine is a 454 CID and they normally can't take the extra high RPM's of the use the motorhome requires, but there is a lot of them that can as well, watch the RPM's!!The other advice I would offer would be to replace the engine oil cooler and have the radiator flushed. When they throw a rod small pieces go everywhere so when you put the new engine in those pieces will circulate right back into the engine and you will be right back where you started IMPORTANT!...good luck, been there!!
Bucket2 is online now Report Post Thanks Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, class c, engine, engine replacement