Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
Sam

Replacing Thetford toilet in 2014 Seneca TS

I am having a fresh water leak at the rear of my Thetford toilet when I flush. The leak is coming form the water module/water valve. I am considering replacing the entire toilet. Anyone else have this leaking problem? RobbyR had indicated he replaced his toilet sometime ago. RobbyR, if you see this post, please advise what brand you installed and why you selected it.
Thanks, Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I am having a fresh water leak at the rear of my Thetford toilet when I flush. The leak is coming form the water module/water valve. I am considering replacing the entire toilet. Anyone else have this leaking problem? RobbyR had indicated he replaced his toilet sometime ago. RobbyR, if you see this post, please advise what brand you installed and why you selected it.
Thanks, Sam
I installed a Thetford Aria Deluxe II electric flush unit, Bone color. Aria® Deluxe II | Products | Thetford

It chose the tall (high profile), elongated bowl model. It is an all porcelain elongated bowl, it is very sturdy. I picked it because it most-closely imitates the comfort and operation of my "sticks and bricks" home toilets. Very easy for guests and grandsons to operate. Push a button and walk away.

The time-consuming part of the installation was providing the 12-volt circuit to the toilet. Depending on one's abilities, it may be something one considers difficult or not. For me, based on other modifications I have done, it was easy. On our TS models the power center is located right above the wet bay, so I ran a new circuit from the power center (it had several unused positions) down into the wet bay, then straight through the underbelly to the other side above the LP tank. I split that circuit there, one leg comes up through the bathroom floor behind the toilet to power it. The other leg goes to the bedroom and comes up under the bed and was run to the rear "nightstand" to a 12-volt power outlet so I can operated my CPAP on 12-volts when not plugged into 120 or running the generator. I ran 2 wires, the hot and the ground, and both are encased in plastic wire loom to protect them. I talked to Jayco and they advised me on the floor construction, so you have to drill your holes at least 2" from the outside edge to "miss" the aluminum square tubes incorporated into the floor. I also installed a wire disconnect at the toilet so I can "unplug" it easily when I need to do service on the toilet down the road. I also had to slightly modify the plumbing to make it better connect to the Aria's water inlet. But I have a PEX kit so it was easy with the toilet out of the way. I first set it in place (without bolting it down), figured out my pipe mods needed, removed the toilet and modified the piping.

Mounting the toilet itself to the floor was very easy. It came with a new foam gasket and the necessary screws to anchor it down. But I did use glue and dowel rods to plug the former toilet's mounting holes and "turned" my toilet slightly so I have more "knee room". Much more comfortable now rather than banging my left knee into the wall!

One small note - I did this swap before the original toilet had ever been used, so it was a clean, dry, black tank. No stink! But I would not hesitate to do it again today, just would have to clean the tank thoroughly first, then tape some plastic over the flange immediately until I was ready to secure the new one!
Attached Thumbnails
20171017_170149_resized.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:01 PM   #3

I replaced my entire unit a while back with an identical replacement. I believe you can actually pick up the replacement part for under $30, if it's just the flush valve assy leaking. The problem I had was that the flush cable snapped and was not repairable.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:16 AM   #4

Thetford Customer Service is great! Give them a call with your problem.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #5

I have in the past replaced valves/parts. I recommend to replace the complete unit. The porcelain stains less.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote