Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #1

Required Tools? Especially Socket Sizes & Torque Specs for '19 Redhawk 26XD?

Hi all,

Maybe my google woo or manual reading is no good, but I could not find a quick/short list of all required sizes and torque specs for all nuts/bolts on my rig.

I had planned on buying quality short/long 1/2" sockets as needed, rather than buying whole sets of metric and standard of both.

Anyone have such a list handy?

Thanks in advance o wise ones!
matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

while I have a complete set of sockets the main tool I use is a square drive for my power screw driver. Almost everything is put together with square drive screws and I have had numerous failures with them and have either replaced or tightened 50-100 of them.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:44 AM   #3

Yikes. Buy the sets. All the nuts and bolts on a class C? That list will be neither short nor quick.

As far as all the torque specs, just get the torque specs for the lug nuts, and check them soon. Get the other torque specs on an as needed basis.

I pull a 26' TT with a Ford F-150. I carry the tools I need in a big plastic bucket. I have a beam style torque wrench for the lug nuts, a cheap set of sockets for stuff that gets loose, and a jack and everything to change a trailer tire. For some really big stuff, like chassis components, I have a big crescent wrench. And a few other odds and ends like channels locks, drill bits, cordless drill, screwdriver bits, a voltmeter, and a hydrometer.

Unless you're planning a trip to the moon......
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #4

Fair enough. I just have not had reason to purchase 1/2" set of sockets until now. And yeah, I was thinking of selectively buying 1.2" sockets only for the big stuff like lug nuts, chassis stuff, etc., not for every single thing in the RV.

Tanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Yikes. Buy the sets. All the nuts and bolts on a class C? That list will be neither short nor quick.

As far as all the torque specs, just get the torque specs for the lug nuts, and check them soon. Get the other torque specs on an as needed basis.

I pull a 26' TT with a Ford F-150. I carry the tools I need in a big plastic bucket. I have a beam style torque wrench for the lug nuts, a cheap set of sockets for stuff that gets loose, and a jack and everything to change a trailer tire. For some really big stuff, like chassis components, I have a big crescent wrench. And a few other odds and ends like channels locks, drill bits, cordless drill, screwdriver bits, a voltmeter, and a hydrometer.

Unless you're planning a trip to the moon......
matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #5

You will need every single one of the sockets at one time or another owning an RV. Almost guaranteed.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #6

In general, you won't need 1/2 inch drive. 3/8 is lighter and will handle almost anything you got. The only exception would be lug nuts, in which case I carry a long 1/2 inch breaker bar with the appropriate socket and extension. Some guys report that Husky from Home Depot has some good sets and Kobalt from Lowes. Don't forget a good multimeter. If your a young guy buy a Fluke, and it will last you the rest of your life. You want a drill with an assortment of bits too. Above all, remember the golden rule. If you bring your tools you won't need them, but if you forget them all sorts of things break.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #7

Love the quote from skyguy of "Above all, remember the golden rule. If you bring your tools you won't need them, but if you forget them all sorts of things break."

Which is usually spot on...unless you buy a Jayco in which they WILL be your best friend.
Imazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #8

I agree with Skyguy. Get a full set of 3/8 sockets, a multimeter, some good torx and phillips screw drivers, and a multi-bit screwdriver with LOTS of odd bits. The one thing I have not done before and am doing now is carrying a Dremel, and planning on stopping at WM to get whatever tool for it I need but don't have.

A question for the guys who carry a 1/2 breaker bar and socket for lug nuts: our 2016 Redhawk 26 XD didn't come with a spare tire (nor a jack, etc). I do check the lugs before leaving home, but beyond that, am I missing something?
Mark3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #9

Also agree w/ Skyguy. I've got 3/8" SAE and Metric. Up to 21mm. So far no surprises. I use square drive (Robertson) screws for my woodworking, so I had the drivers. All the screws seem to be #2 Square Drive.

So far what's driven me bonkers is the Ford E450.
Random mix of Metric, SAE and bizarre sizes.

I needed to align the headlamps and found the top screws to be 8mm and the bottom 7mm.
What the heck was the engineer doing???
Old 04-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #10

I carry a complete set of 3/8 sockets and 1/2 for lugs nuts, hitch nuts, a 1/2 breaker but and a 1/2 torque wrench good to 250 lbs. Purchased this when bolts on head adjustment loosened and it required 250 lbs of toque to tighten them. The tools are cheap compared to the frustration of a breakdown and not being able to fix it.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark3316 View Post
A question for the guys who carry a 1/2 breaker bar and socket for lug nuts: our 2016 Redhawk 26 XD didn't come with a spare tire (nor a jack, etc). I do check the lugs before leaving home, but beyond that, am I missing something?
Huge debate on this one.

There are the "No way I'm driving anywhere without a spare" people and the "If it blows, I'm pulling over and drinking beer until the repair guy comes."

I'm in the second camp.

All I do is check tire pressures before a trip.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #12

I'm with you PC. I use to change them myself, but now that I'm 67 I don't have the muscle and that spare can wreak havoc on your back. A lot of guys say you need to carry the tire though. Roadside service usually doesnt bring the tire. You need roadside service anyway unless you want to pay a gazillion dollars to get towed out of the boonies.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
. A lot of guys say you need to carry the tire though. Roadside service usually doesnt bring the tire.

I'll have a spare tire shortly.
I looked at the fronts and I have a bad, 'bad alignment' wear that'll mean two new fronts soon.

Other than that - it's enough beer in the fridge to wait for roadside assistance.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #14

I echo the 3/8" drive as the only 1/2" item you would need except if you are going to rebuild the engine is the lug nuts. I check them each time at home, but may start carrying just that socket and a 1/2" breaker bar. I have a bit driver and assortment of torx/allen/screw driver bits and never leave home without my multi-meter. I am having some trouble with my equalizer leveling jacks, so may add a 20v cordless drill to my kit as that would allow me to "manually" retract my jacks. I also carry some amounts of wire nuts/crimp splices and electrical tape with zip ties as well as a roll of duct tape. The reality is I have used that to help other folks more than for my own benefit.

As for a spare, my dad gave me a worn, but good tire only that I have stored in the bay. I have heard tell of tire stores gouging for tires when you are desperate, so I will just have them swap out the tire to rim (most can do that out of their service truck) and carefully get to where I can negotiate price.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:29 AM   #15
Site Team

My tool load keeps increasing.
I have found that deep well sockets have made my life easier so I packed a 1/4 and a 3/8 set. Most of my tools are not high dollar, just for occasional use.

Another item I have used a lot is a small extension mirror and a small extension wand with a magnet on it. It's frustrating to drop a screw and be able to see it and not reach it.

Another helpful addition is a small flash light that straps on your head so you can work in dark places with both hands free.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #16

Quote:
I needed to align the headlamps and found the top screws to be 8mm and the bottom 7mm.
What the heck was the engineer doing???
Now that would be a good question for FORD MOTOR CO.!
Old 04-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #17

After having almost every tool I could possibly need... today we discovered that we missed a VERY important one.

SNOW Shovel!
Attached Thumbnails
20190411_172301.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
After having almost every tool I could possibly need... today we discovered that we missed a VERY important one.

SNOW Shovel!
You say you're missing a snow shovel, but if it was me, I'd say I made a navigation error!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #19

FYI ....Lowe’s is dumping the Kobalt line and replacing it with Craftsman. They are selling most of the Kobalt tools at blowout prices. This has been going on for about two weeks pretty good deals on 1/2 and 3/8 sets.
Tow Vehicle 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Limited
Cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:24 PM   #20

Another good thing to pick up is a 3/8 ratchet with a flex head. One with a head that moves like your wrist. It adds a ton of versatility to the nuts you can reach with it. For me that's a must have, but most cheap sets won't have it. If you have to you can get one from the Snap-On truck, or maybe Harbor Freight might have one cheap.