Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2020, 10:01 AM   #1

Researching Class C RVs

Hi folks, a newbie here. We are researching Class C RVs and are very interested in the Greyhawk 29MV. It seems to have great reviews and the floorplan works for us. What should we be looking at when we look at used units? Has Thor ownership had any effect on build quality of the newer units? Thanks in advance for your responses.
RallyAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
CAG

You might want to purchase "Motorhome Comparison Guide" by Randall Eaton. He gives a pretty thorough look at various brands, companies, and consumer feedback.

https://rvreviews.net/motorhome-comparison-guide/

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:08 PM   #3

Mine was built before the time Thor took over, however I highly suggest you get an independent inspection for any used RV you desire to purchase, or download an inspection guide to go by if you have the skills to inspect everything.

IMO, the worst thing you can find is that the roof hasn't been maintained and the unit has delamination or water leaks into the walls. I purchased mine from the owner and was able to speak with him regarding the maintenance records and the issues found over the years. In fact, this is the first used RV I have ever purchased and interestingly enough, the least problematic as the original owner had already taken care of all the issues found when new.

To add another quick thought, the mileage is important to consider, too low of mileage could indicate that the RV sat unused for a long time which is not good, and too high of course means the opposite. Just as a guesstimate, somewhere in the 3~4k miles per year was optimal for what I was looking for. However, the mileage doesn't really prove anything as the original owner may have driven the RV quite a bit when new and then let it sit unused for an extended period of time, which is why buying from an individual could allow for more information shared to you vs when buying from a dealer. ~CA
Old 12-31-2020, 03:16 PM   #4

FYI, I have no knowledge of this website other than a quick search I made found that you can download a free PDF checklist from this site of things to check out, and the list appears to contain everything I can think of to check out and consider when purchasing a used RV. RV Buying Inspection Checklist - RVTipster.com
Old 12-31-2020, 03:35 PM   #5

I remembered after my last post that if you go to the "General Jayco RV Chat" that there is a "Sticky" post there with many comments along with a checklist of items to look at as a "Pre-delivery Inspection" ~CA
Old 12-31-2020, 03:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyAce View Post
What should we be looking at when we look at used units?

You've gotten great advice, I'll share one that was counter-intuitive to me - you want a unit that's been *used*. Not left to sit, unexercised.

Our 2016 was lightly used, everything was in perfect shape, or so I thought. They had not exercised the generator in months.

A new carb, replaced by the Cummins shop here ran me $750.

Don't shy away from a used RV that's been *used* yet used properly. Make sure everything has been run long enough to give you some sense of assurance that things are working!!!