Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewiring inverter to all outlets

Hi All,

I have a 2020 29 MV that I have upgraded with 2 100AH battleborn's and 400 watts of Solar with MPPT charger. The default configuration on the 1000 watt Magnum inverter is to run only a few outlets (Tv's, etc) I would like to rewire the inverter to power all outlets and have the option to run some of the appliances. I plan to upgrade to a 2000 watt inverter but want to make sure I can figure out the wiring before making the upgrade.

Has anyone done this before and or have any suggestions? As far as I can tell I will need to upgrade the transfer switch (PD51110010Q) to one that supports an inverter and converter (like the Go Power TS-30 30 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch) and move the current inverter powered outlets to the AC sub panel as they are currently wired through a separate inverter transfer switch (Magnum csw-ts15) that switches between Shore/Gen and Inverted Power.

I do not want to plug the shore power cord into an inverter and then be manually turning off the converter although I may begrudgingly need to resort to this if I cannot figure out the above.

Also if this topic has already been discussed feel free to point me to it as I was not able to find anything in my searches.

Thanks,
Rob
slopeshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #2

Just spitballing here... Food for thought.

If you add a second transfer switch, you might be able to do this:

1. Remove the existing inverter, and join its 120V inlet & outlet, as if it were never there.
2. On your existing transfer switch, remove the line from the generator and instead install the line from the output of your new 2nd transfer switch. And also swap the inputs, so that the priority input is shore power.
3. Wire the new inverter and your generator as inputs into the new transfer switch so that the generator is priority.

The operating priority would be:
A. Shore power
B. Inverter
C. Generator

This is somewhat simple, but it assumes that your new inverter could power everything that your generator can... and it sounded like you're not going that big.
So the alternative would be to move the circuits you want to power from the inverter to a new subpanel.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
Just spitballing here... Food for thought.

If you add a second transfer switch, you might be able to do this:

1. Remove the existing inverter, and join its 120V inlet & outlet, as if it were never there.
2. On your existing transfer switch, remove the line from the generator and instead install the line from the output of your new 2nd transfer switch. And also swap the inputs, so that the priority input is shore power.
3. Wire the new inverter and your generator as inputs into the new transfer switch so that the generator is priority.

The operating priority would be:
A. Shore power
B. Inverter
C. Generator

This is somewhat simple, but it assumes that your new inverter could power everything that your generator can... and it sounded like you're not going that big.
So the alternative would be to move the circuits you want to power from the inverter to a new subpanel.

Its a great idea but the converter is plugged into the ac panel so it would create a loop when switched to Inverter unless I turn it off each time. I like the idea to bypass the inverter transfer switch by joining the ac in and out effectively re-using the inverter breaker for the currently inverted power outlets.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshred View Post
Its a great idea but the converter is plugged into the ac panel so it would create a loop when switched to Inverter unless I turn it off each time. I like the idea to bypass the inverter transfer switch by joining the ac in and out effectively re-using the inverter breaker for the currently inverted power outlets.
When the inverter is the power source, use a current sensing relay to kill the 120V to the converter.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:38 PM   #5

Or you could replace your converter charger with an inverter charger like this one here. Inverter Charger, RV Inverter Charger | Power Products | Xantrex
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #6

Yep if I had not spent so much on the RV I would most likely go with a 3KW all in one Victron and more battleborn batteries. Thank you all for the help.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshred View Post
Yep if I had not spent so much on the RV I would most likely go with a 3KW all in one Victron and more battleborn batteries. Thank you all for the help.
How do you like those batteries?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:22 PM   #8

So far they have been fantastic, but with solar and dry camping for 5 days I have only been able to get them down 15% before solar charges them back up again before noon. Need more ways to burn energy Sure beats the single 75AH Lead acid that came with the coach.

Tags
inverter, transfer switch, wiring help