Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #1

Road master stabilizer

My dealer is taking my 2020 mvp to get an alignment done. Before that I want them to throw on the road master stabilizer. They are having a hard time finding it. Can someone post a link or exact part numbers of the road master and the proper mounting bracket?
Yes, I know I can install this myself but they will do it cheap for me.

Thanks
CreekLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #2

If I remember correctly (which is scary at times) just go to the roadmaster site and enter your chassis info and it will spit out all part numbers for any upgrades that you choose.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
If I remember correctly (which is scary at times) just go to the roadmaster site and enter your chassis info and it will spit out all part numbers for any upgrades that you choose.
Problem is online it only shows truck body, “f”
Old 02-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #4

Go with the Hellwig.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:02 PM   #5

Hellwig steering stabilizer? Are u sure are not referring to the sway bar.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #6

Whoops sorry. I read it too fast on my phone.

FWIW I use Bilstein as my upgraded steering damper.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #7

This the one I used on my GreyHawk and was delivered in a few days.

https://www.etrailer.com/swaybars-20...+Motorhome.htm
rivrrts429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:42 PM   #8

Nevermind. I’m an idiot. Chassis is a 2019 I’m sure. Thanks guys.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Here's the Reflex...

https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-RS...1366373&sr=8-2

Here's the mounting bracket:

https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-RB...1366495&sr=8-5

BTW, The Bilstein is just a damper, but doesn't have the centering spring like the Reflex. The Ford chassis comes with a damper on it, that's useless.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #10

I'm asking b/c I don't know. Do any other big truck type applications include something like a Reflex or a SafeTSteer or whatever its called? I sometimes wonder if we all get wrapped up in these mods sometimes. I know I had the Bilstein on my prior 'C' and it was a nice improvement over stock.

Plus I sometimes wonder what these more robust steering mods do to the power steering components long term.

Again, I'm just asking - not looking to kick the hornets nest of those that put down hard money on these things.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #11

I somewhat agree so I’m just doing a stabilizer and alignment. Addressing a very specific issue but not attempting to make it perfect. With that said I can’t believe other mods would be a negative short of the cost.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I'm asking b/c I don't know. Do any other big truck type applications include something like a Reflex or a SafeTSteer or whatever its called? I sometimes wonder if we all get wrapped up in these mods sometimes. I know I had the Bilstein on my prior 'C' and it was a nice improvement over stock.
I'll take a stab at that. This is my first Class C, I have driven box trucks, fire trucks and other trucks in the past. When I first brought this rig home, I felt something wasn't right, because I had to fight the steering and fight to keep it in lane, all the way home. I think some people just accept it as it is or can't really tell the nuance of steering.

So, doing some research, I found out that Jayco/MorRyde leave the stock suspension parts on the chassis, but put a heavy box on it. I noticed with the stock OEM steering damper, every time I hit a rough patch in the road, the rig wanted to jerk and chatter off towards the woods... that wasn't right..

Every puff of air from the wind or a truck passing, wanted to blow the the rig off the road... that wasn't right either.

So, after reading here (and other places), I replaced both front and rear sway bars with the heavier Helwig bars, and replaced the OEM damper with the Reflex. Immediately I could feel that the rig's steering wouldn't chatter over the rough patches, and the wheel would re-center itself after a bump. So, the Reflex was a BIG improvement.

Then, with the new sway bars, I don't get blown around or have the bad body roll like before, so they were a big improvement, too!

The bottom line, I think unless you are really mechanical and in tune with how a vehicle handles, you might not even notice these deficiencies of the chassis. But if someone drove a rig WITHOUT and immediate drove one WITH the changes, I'm sure they would notice a difference.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekLife View Post
I somewhat agree so I’m just doing a stabilizer and alignment. Addressing a very specific issue but not attempting to make it perfect. With that said I can’t believe other mods would be a negative short of the cost.
That's a good point, cost versus benefit. And what concerns you versus what you can live with.

Adding both sway bars and the Reflex was maybe like $800. in parts. I installed them myself. So in the big picture, spending that time and money to make a multi-hour driving trip less stressful, was worth it. Plus, based on the cost of these rigs, what's a few more dollars to add a lot more comfort?

I didn't buy a motorhome over a trailer to save money...
Old 02-10-2020, 07:55 PM   #14

Save money and RV? HAHAHAHAHA

Save money .....

I might be getting a 29MV. I had already planned on the front sway upgrade; I’m still on the fence w/ the reflex. I don’t know I guess I’ll see.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #15

Quote:

Save money .....

I might be getting a 29MV. I had already planned on the front sway upgrade; I’m still on the fence w/ the reflex. I don’t know I guess I’ll see.

Don't worry, your rig will tell you if it needs the reflex or not. If you hit crappy roads and the steering wheel keeps jerking your wrist leaving you to fight it back to center, there is your sign. Odds are you will need it, unless of course you enjoy being periodically scared to death.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:24 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Mike... that was a good one!!!

But, in reality, it's correct. I really didn't like the feeling of NOT knowing which way the rig was going to try and lurch after hitting a rough patch. The Reflex made it a lot more consistent and calmed it down. No more white knuckles...
Old 02-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #17

I’ve had a few C’s. I’ve never had a Greyhawk jump out of my hands, assuming I had a proper alignment done and the front sway upgraded. The Bilstein steering damper I put on my last one was simply for ease, a little more reassurance. Never for fear.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

Save money .....

I might be getting a 29MV. I had already planned on the front sway upgrade;
Well, get off the fence and go buy it!! It's only money.

But, just remember, you wouldn't help me put the sway bar on my rig, and I was even going to supply the beer!
Old 02-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Well, get off the fence and go buy it!! It's only money.

But, just remember, you wouldn't help me put the sway bar on my rig, and I was even going to supply the beer!
You never mentioned beer !

Old 02-11-2020, 05:42 AM   #20

RM reflex stabilizer

You can find it RVupgradestore.com and probably the best price as well. Also at etrailer.com which has excellent videos if you want to install yourself. Simply remove the Ford damper and replace with roadmaster unit.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote