Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2019, 11:46 PM   #1

Roadmaster reflex steering stabilizer

anyone have one installed on their e450 and any noticeable difference. we had alignment done and steering is much better but could be stiffer reduce steering wheel play.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:04 AM   #2

I bought the one by Bilstein. Should be here today. I didn't much care about self-centering, I just wanted a little more resistance in the steering wheel. I'll see if I got what I wanted in a couple weeks when I install it.
[

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:23 AM   #3

I installed a Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer and it is awesome !! I installed it around 6 months ago and it is one of the best things I have done to my GreyHawk. It makes a tremendous difference in taking out the steering play and wandering, and makes a completely new and enjoyable driving experience. I wholeheartedly endorse and recommend this product to all who have an E450 and/or 350.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:21 PM   #4

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:

Some E350/E450 have handling issues, some do not, the following may explain the difference:

Ford ships all E350/E450 cut aways with identical fixed, non adjustable
caster/camber collars, "one size fits all". You can recognize these collars because they are keyed and cannot be rotated. They are marked "F8UA-AA 0+.25" on the passenger side and "E97A-CA +0-0" on the drivers side.

The RV builder almost never changes the Ford collars, as a result:

If the final RV build is nose down one degree then the runtime caster will be about +3.5 degrees. These units can have a real wandering problem.

If the final RV build is nose level then the runtime caster will be about +4.5 degrees. These units are probably indifferent.

If the final RV build is nose up one degree then the runtime caster will be about +5.5 degrees. These units are probably just fine, possibly excepting the 31+ footers.

So, some RVs have a problem with wandering at highway speeds and some do not have a problem. JMO.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #5

My case, I have caster adjusted up over 5.5 (I can't remember the exact side to side), and my rig tracks true if I'm not being pushed all over the road by the wind. When its windy out, the steering correction is just too loose in my opinion. I'd rather the wheel a little tighter so that I'm not sawing back and forth fighting the wind. Lets see if the Blistein damper does the trick.

I don't expect it to solve me being pushed around, but I hope my corrections don't require as much 'counter correction' b/c of the loose stock damper. We'll see, I might have wasted another 85 bucks.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #6

2019 ford e450 stabilizer

I was under the ford today and noticed a front steering stabilizer which came with the chassis. do not know how to post pictures.was considering a loadmaster reflex steering stabilizer as a replacement
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #7

I haven't pulled the stock one off yet, but from what I've read its relatively flimsy akin to the shock on a storm door. I'm very interested to see how the Bilstein compares.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #8

Get the Roadmaster Reflex .... It’s wonderful. It takes the play and sway out, minimizes the wind effect and that of passing semi”s as well. It is definitely the way to go, in my opinion !!
Old 05-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #9

I installed the Reflex on my coach last year, and I would recommend it to anyone.

I still need to get an alignment to adjust Caster up (Harvard mentioned this above), but in the mean time, the Reflex has made a marked improvement.

I also plan to install a Hellwig sway bar up front at some point. The OEM Ford bar is pretty wimpy, so I'm hoping the Hellwig will assist somewhat with body roll.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I installed the Reflex on my coach last year, and I would recommend it to anyone.

I still need to get an alignment to adjust Caster up (Harvard mentioned this above), but in the mean time, the Reflex has made a marked improvement.

I also plan to install a Hellwig sway bar up front at some point. The OEM Ford bar is pretty wimpy, so I'm hoping the Hellwig will assist somewhat with body roll.

It will do just that. I installed the Hellwig Sway Bar on mine and do not regret it at all.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
It will do just that. I installed the Hellwig Sway Bar on mine and do not regret it at all.

X2
Old 05-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Before I start searching around, can anyone share where they bought their Roadmaster Reflex? Is it a Amazon product or do you have to order from a auto parts store?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #13

I purchased mine from rvupgrades.com . It was the best price I could find last year for the bracket and the Stabilizer. To my door, the combo was $290.51
Old 05-14-2019, 06:10 AM   #14

I'm installing the Bilstein this Saturday. I'll let you know what I think about it afterwards. The Bilstein and a Hellwig front sway bar are the projects du jour this weekend.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:26 AM   #15

Quote:
X2
It is illegal to X2 yourself!!
Demco Base Plate
Demco Commander Tow Bar
billjmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjmck View Post
It is illegal to X2 yourself!!

LOL ..... I really don’t know how that happened, although I really don’t think it is worth the mention !!
Old 05-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #17

Quote:
LOL ..... I really don’t know how that happened, although I really don’t think it is worth the mention !!
No offense. My sense of humor will not let me ignore things like that. Especially when it is the kind of thing i would catch myself doing.
Demco Base Plate
Demco Commander Tow Bar
billjmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #18

No problem here, but I still don’t know how I did it, in the first place.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #19

I installed the roadmaster reflex steering on my red hawk around eight months ago. I definitely noticed a difference the wheel wanders a lot less out of my hand on ruddy roads. But all in all steering could be and should be much more tighter. I’ve also installed rear Firestone airbags, a rear Supersteer track bar and had the RV properly aligned. My next upgrade is to get rid of the factory Ford front sway bar, it’s ridiculous they never changed it only upgrade the rear! I called Hellwig they verified the from as factory no theirs! I’m also thinking of swapping out the front shocks what load leveling gas shocks with coil over springs. My rig handles pretty good now but I feel there is a lot of room for improvement.

I haven’t really looked under the red Hawk after thinking about this next question; if there’s a steering box It might be adjustable with a screw. From what I remember of my mechanic days it should have a locknut and a flat screwdriver slot, what you did was turn in the screw, after loosening the lock nut, which bought the steering box gears closer together, thus tightening the play in the steering, however I was always told never to tighten too much, bringing The gears to close together can cause issues and possibly tooth ware. Does anyone have experience with this? I wonder if this is the case with the E450? And if the sloppy steering is really related to this?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
.... I’ve also installed rear Firestone airbags, a rear Supersteer track bar......

What's your opinion of the rear track bar? What difference have you noticed?

Thanks...
Ron

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote