Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #41

I would say logically, yes, it will help stability when parked just like it does when driving.

This is the only way it would help when leveling as it DOES stiffen up the suspension somewhat. And so it MAY mitigate the torsion effect your slides put on the rig when extended.

I often park without dropping my jacks, and honestly, I never paid much attention to the difference after the new parts. But like I said, logically it should help some. The magnitude of that improvement is what's under question.

I would say if it DOES provide a benefit while stationary, that would be a tertiary benefit. Because the benefit while driving is most definitely worth the price of admission IMO.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I don't think that's accurate.

If the sway bar helps rolling and leaning when going down the road, it will do the same thing when the rig is sitting stationary too. It tightens up the roll affect either way.

Technically, you are correct, however, sway bars already exist on these units, whether heavy duty on both ends or not, and in a practical sense one will not realize much of a difference in stability, if at all, with two heavy duty sway bars while parked. I have both heavy duty Hellwig bars on my GreyHawk and notice a big difference in road stability, but very little, if any at all while parked without my levelers extended. That is the basis for my previous statement.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #43

Can I ask what they cost?
TRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #44

Here is a front one from Amazon to give you an idea of the price.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5717.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	52640
Old 08-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #45

Hi, just had a roadmaster sway bar installed on our e450. Ordered from etrailer $389. Well worth it
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #46
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Technically, you are correct, however, sway bars already exist on these units, whether heavy duty on both ends or not, and in a practical sense one will not realize much of a difference in stability, if at all, with two heavy duty sway bars while parked. I have both heavy duty Hellwig bars on my GreyHawk and notice a big difference in road stability, but very little, if any at all while parked without my levelers extended. That is the basis for my previous statement.
Technically, sway is sway. If it's being reduced while driving, due to larger upgraded bars, it will have the same effect while parked. You just experience expanded forces while driving versus parked, so the lower amount of sway is more noticeable when moving versus parked.

The only way to quantify is to take before and after measurements of the amount of lean and sway, both moving and parked, and compare.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #47

The whole idea was the question will the sway bars help to eliminate sway when parked and while walking around in the coach. The person was wondering if it would make the difference or would he need levelers. Well, nothing will take the movement out when moving around inside .... that is why levelers are so popular and sold in droves, and why so many coaches come standard with them. We can get as technical as we want with measurements, but if it moves around more than one likes, then it is time for getting levelers. Sway bars will not do the job for most of us for that purpose, and they are meant for the road to minimize sway from wind, handling and passing by of large vehicles, among other road related things. I think he should purchase the sway bar and see. If it doesn’t work for him while at rest, at least he has not wasted his money because it will minimize sway and increase handling while on the road. Then he can think about levelers.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #48
Lost in the Woods

Well, that's what he was asking, not if the upgraded sway bar will eliminate all movement when parked, just if it would help. In that case there should be some improvement, the question is how much.

Also remember, he has a shorter rig than you. We have 24 footers, so we don't have as much of a box moving around with the same size sway bar. So, we probably see more improvement than you do.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #49

Good point. Let’s hope it will do the job for him and that he will be satisfied. It certainly will save him a lot of money !!
Old 08-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #50

Quote:
Well, that's what he was asking, not if the upgraded sway bar will eliminate all movement when parked, just if it would help. In that case there should be some improvement, the question is how much.

Also remember, he has a shorter rig than you. We have 24 footers, so we don't have as much of a box moving around with the same size sway bar. So, we probably see more improvement than you do.
Correct, as I do not mean to be a PITA I just want to know if it will also help while camped. Yes I understand the sway bar improvement of handling but I am by myself on the road to nowhere to a racetrack in the boonies most of the time so handling it often not an issue. Obviously it is no substitution for jacks, but look at all of the problems that we read about with jacks. I am not ready to bite that bullet yet. I dry camp most of the time and usually (not always) can position myself out of level in order to get level after the slide. My goal is to do fewer things outside of the rig (like using levelers) so that I don't have to sweat when breaking down camp in the AM. Lazy, I know but apparently this is what has become my dream rig so....
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #51

I added RV snap pads and it helped with stationary movement.

This was especially true for softer ground.

Mike
lonestarrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:13 PM   #52
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
but I am by myself on the road to nowhere to a racetrack in the boonies most of the time so handling it often not an issue. .
OK, so I have to ask. What type of racetrack are we talking about?
Old 08-19-2019, 06:40 AM   #53

Quote:
OK, so I have to ask. What type of racetrack are we talking about?
Auto dirt racing, mostly super late models, and sprint cars. I don't race, that's a money pit. We just tail gait and watch. I'm considering hitting some football games a well.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:14 AM   #54

Quote:
Auto dirt racing, mostly super late models, and sprint cars. I don't race, that's a money pit. We just tail gait and watch. I'm considering hitting some football games a well.
In my case I’m knee deep in the money pit... I road race vintage porsches.

To keep on thread, I also have the front and rear traq stabilizers and I’m thinking they would help more than the upgraded sway bar.

On my 08, the front didn’t have a sway bar... I added that too.

With footers down, and the wider rubber pads... she’s not too bad.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:00 AM   #55
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Auto dirt racing, mostly super late models, and sprint cars. I don't race, that's a money pit. We just tail gait and watch.
A man after my own heart.

I was involved with dirt mods in an early life, then switched over to asphalt. Money pit, I know that all too well, we ran a entry level 4 cylinder class, the money kept flowing out every week. We stopped racing when my driver (my daughter) decided babies were more important than racing. Pregnancy... the occupational hazard of female drivers...

I now help my son-in-law with his asphalt Mod.

I told wifey, now that we have this rig, we're going to all my favorite NASCAR tracks for the weekend..

She's not quite on board with that plan yet...
Old 08-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #56

Gotta love the racing fraternity. I made the mistake of taking my wife to a World of Outlaws event for her first race. They don't always put on the best show but when they do it is like fighter jets in a gym. The speeds are thrilling so she is uninterested in other dirt cars, and according to my wife the drivers were "fun to look at". Hey, whatever it takes.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #57

Smile Great Thread

A couple weeks ago I saw this thread.....I had the mouse on the wheel working overtime in my head considering what upgrades I wanted to do. I drove our 2019 Greyhawk 30XP from the dealer in LA to my home in Reno (2100 miles) and I felt it handled descent....But after reading all the information from the thread I figured why not make the MH more comfortable and safer to drive....Honestly the cost for the parts is pretty cheap for the benefit. It started with wanting to tighten down the Hellwig helper springs...I decided to leave them alone and add airbags to the rear suspension....I was concerned if I stiffened the rear suspension it would ride rougher.....I installed the airbags and compressor myself. Next I installed the Hellwig front sway bar and the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer. Both were really easy to put on (compared to the airbags). I haven't driven it yet but i'm confident the ride will be much improved. First real trip is this week...to a flying event. I fly ultralight aircrafts and attend lots of flying events.
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #58

I'm doing one at a time here. I put the Hellwig bar on and just got back from a ~500 mile trip. The sway bar definitely helped in some areas, but there is still some sway.

The area that was most annoying was driving home. I come out of the trees and get hit by a crosswind and end up with the steering wheel at a 30 degree angle to go straight. Add in Michigan roads and larger than normal pavement grooves from the semis and it wasn't very fun. I guess I'll try the roadmaster setup, but not real confident at the moment.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
I'm doing one at a time here. I put the Hellwig bar on and just got back from a ~500 mile trip. The sway bar definitely helped in some areas, but there is still some sway.

The area that was most annoying was driving home. I come out of the trees and get hit by a crosswind and end up with the steering wheel at a 30 degree angle to go straight. Add in Michigan roads and larger than normal pavement grooves from the semis and it wasn't very fun. I guess I'll try the roadmaster setup, but not real confident at the moment.
Have you tried Tru-Trac system?

I added front and rear to my C5500 based 08 Jayco Seneca.

But that was just one piece of the puzzle.

Mike
Old 09-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarrpm View Post
Have you tried Tru-Trac system?

I added front and rear to my C5500 based 08 Jayco Seneca.

But that was just one piece of the puzzle.

Mike
No, I looked at the track bar, but am not sure that is causing the issue. I did install the roadmaster steering stabilizer. I didn't think it was going to do much, but it did do a few things:

1. Made the steering on center notchy. I'm wondering if it just needs time to break in.
2. Decent amount more steering effort off center in parking lots
3. It did correct some of the steering wander but only small amounts. The ride up there didn't show much wind and I could cruise at faster speeds without wandering as much.

The ride home today made my hands hurt. 25-30mph wind gusts. Lots of steering correction needed and didn't feel like the steering stabilizer was doing much of anything. Had to be quick with the wheel otherwise it would have moved over a lane.

If the rear axle is steering the rig, I'm annoyed. Now, we are towing the Jeep behind us, and that is another brick in the wind so that could be side loading the rear axle and causing the steer issues. We don't travel much without the toad.

It was pretty interesting coming up on a right turn and large wind gusts pulling the rig "up" and over.

At least the place we were camping was delightful.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote