Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #1

Roadmaster sway control installed

We had both the roadmaster reflex steering stabilizer and the roadmaster front sway control bar on our 2019 ford e450 class c. What a difference in steering and sway, wow......
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #2

I installed the Roadmaster Reflex and the Hellwig sway bar on mine. And I'll echo your reaction; HUGE difference. Much better driving and handling experience.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #3

Roadmaster sway bar

I expected an improvement in sway and steering but was very suprise at how much it improved..
Old 08-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Glad to hear you're seeing such a big difference in the handling too. Just wait until you replace the rear sway bar!

This goes to my previous point, these modifications aren't just feel good ones, they make a BIG difference in handling and safety. Jayco should be including them in their modification of the chassis when they add on the box.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I installed the Roadmaster Reflex and the Hellwig sway bar on mine. And I'll echo your reaction; HUGE difference. Much better driving and handling experience.

X2 for sure !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #6

Installing today

Good Morning!
Have the Roadmaster and Hellwig and will be installing this afternoon, really looking forward to feeling the difference which all of you have experienced. I do have a question, there is a thread or two on here re. alignment which I need to find but what specs are you using for alignment? Figure I'll have that done next week and that should take care of all I plan to do with the suspension.
Thanks everyone.
Be Safe
dave
DaveE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
Good Morning!

Have the Roadmaster and Hellwig and will be installing this afternoon, really looking forward to feeling the difference which all of you have experienced. I do have a question, there is a thread or two on here re. alignment which I need to find but what specs are you using for alignment? Figure I'll have that done next week and that should take care of all I plan to do with the suspension.

Thanks everyone.

Be Safe

dave

You know, install your parts and see how they work for you before going to the expense of an alignment you probably don’t need. If it tracks well at speeds, don’t worry about it. Also, check tire wear, as this will tell you if you are out of alignment, as well. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
You know, install your parts and see how they work for you before going to the expense of an alignment you probably don’t need. If it tracks well at speeds, don’t worry about it. Also, check tire wear, as this will tell you if you are out of alignment, as well. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it !!
I agree with that. I wasn't feeling the symptoms that wrong caster or out of alignment would cause. For me, it was correcting the rig wanting to take off when hitting ruts and the wheel jerking around due to weak OEM steering damper. Then, the serious leaning, rolling and yaw when turning or even changing lanes.

Adding the upgraded Hellwig sway bars front and rear and adding the Reflex completely settled down the rig, and I feel so much more in control, and rig doesn't want to take off for the woods when hitting rough patches in the road.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #9

Those that have installed these. I assume several do it themselves. However, I do not have that in my basket of abilities. Would an RV service center install these, camping world for example, or would I need to go to some "specialty" service provider??

Thanks for any insights!!
billgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgeo View Post
Those that have installed these. I assume several do it themselves. However, I do not have that in my basket of abilities. Would an RV service center install these, camping world for example, or would I need to go to some "specialty" service provider??

Thanks for any insights!!
Personally, I wouldn't use CW. I would say they might be OKAY with the "Camper" part of the rig (mostly not though in my experience), but I don't know about the chassis part of the rig...

I would find a good "off-road" or suspension shop to do it for you. You might even be able to source the part from them and get them to discount the installation?

This would be a pretty routine job for a suspension shop I would think. Unless they strip out that bolt-hole on the passenger side... Ask me how I know!! LOL!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #11

Camper_bob
What model Hellwig Sway bar did you install for your 29mv?
I have a 2019 and the bars I've looked at seem to stop at 2018. It's possible they just haven't updated their info and 2019's are fine too.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #12

we just had the loadmaster front sway control at a local heavy duty truck service. any truck service should be able to install them. stay away from CW
Old 08-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Camper_bob
What model Hellwig Sway bar did you install for your 29mv?
I have a 2019 and the bars I've looked at seem to stop at 2018. It's possible they just haven't updated their info and 2019's are fine too.

Thanks!
It's the same one for the 2018 and 2019.

Just like he said, you don't need to go to the RV dealer. Since you have a Ford chassis, any shop that works on Econoline vans should be able to handle it. The front sway bar is relatively easy (as long as you don't strip the rear bolt). It's the rear sway bar that's a challenge.

Seriously consider doing the Roadmaster Reflex at the same time, you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
we just had the loadmaster front sway control at a local heavy duty truck service. any truck service should be able to install them. stay away from CW
OK then. That's two to stay away from CW!

Thanks!!
Old 08-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
It's the same one for the 2018 and 2019.

Just like he said, you don't need to go to the RV dealer. Since you have a Ford chassis, any shop that works on Econoline vans should be able to handle it. The front sway bar is relatively easy (as long as you don't strip the rear bolt). It's the rear sway bar that's a challenge.

Seriously consider doing the Roadmaster Reflex at the same time, you won't be disappointed.
Yes, the Reflex is also on the menu. Just now was looking at the sway bars and was curious what Camper_bob put on his 29mv (as we have).
Old 08-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes, the Reflex is also on the menu. Just now was looking at the sway bars and was curious what Camper_bob put on his 29mv (as we have).
This is the one I installed:

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/our-.../?searchq=7718

I actually sourced mine from Amazon as it was the lowest price I could find at the moment I was ordering.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #17

Thanks! Then that is the one I'll get. If it is good for Camper_bob, it's definitely good for me then! :-D. Looks like $256 from Amazon.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This is the one I installed:

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/our-.../?searchq=7718

I actually sourced mine from Amazon as it was the lowest price I could find at the moment I was ordering.
Exactly the same for me.

One thing everyone needs to know, it doesn't matter if it's a Redhawk or Greyhawk on the Ford chassis in the front. They both come the same way from Jayco, with the undersized OEM sway bar and the crappy steering damper.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #19

Make sure that where you purchase from is not an unauthorized roadmaster reseller as their website specifically states that they will not warranty their products.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #20

Granted mine is an 08. But I went from 2 hands on the wheel sawing back and forth having to constantly focus on the road and battle the rig to driving like a big SUV, arm on the arm rest, 2 fingers on the wheel and able to scan the gauges, "see" the road. OMG what a difference.
I did front and rear Track, front swaybars, and sumo-spring helpers.
She already had the upgraded springs and shocks. So its was the Trak-bar and Sways that made all the difference. So much so I have the Safe-T steer too -- but i haven't bothered to install yet.
lonestarrpm is offline   Reply With Quote