Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #1

Roadside assistance plans

AAA vs. Coach Net? Which is Better or same?
doodledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:22 PM   #2
CAG

Some slam Good Sam but I have had three different incidents where I had to call and they had someone out within an hour.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:30 PM   #3

When I had AAA Plus RV they couldn't even provide service for a tire change in Indianapolis. Dropped that real quick.....
Old 11-16-2020, 07:52 PM   #4

I had Coach Net in the past. I used them one time in 2014 on a holiday weekend and Sunday to boot. Worked out good with no problems. There price got a little high so I now have the one through FMCA. I really hope I never have to find out how good they are.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:08 PM   #5

We've been extremely happy with AAA RV Plus. They saved us twice this summer. Both times in lucky to have cell service locations.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #6

Don't count on them bringing you diesel!!
PaulB12
2001 Ford Excursion/7.3 Powerstroke
PaulB12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #7
Site Team

We had AAA for years and never needed them. Good Sam came along with a better plan for about the same price, so we went with them. Haven't had to call them for anything yet either. It's just insurance for us if we do need help.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #8

We had AAA Plus RV for many years, still have AAA Plus (don't need RV with a Destination Trailer). Have used them several times to tow HTT and TV. The one time we needed them for the Class C, they came through, but it took a couple hours. We had a blowout on the side of I-95 just south of Savannah, GA on a Sunday afternoon. AAA insisted on finding someone that could tow us in case it wasn't safe to change the tire where we were. After 2 hours they must of gotten tired of calling and just sent a mobile tire repair guy who got to me less than 20 minutes after AAA called him.

The one time we tried to use CoachNet, it came free with the purchase of our HTT, the fuel pump in our TV failed. CoachNet told us they could only tow us to the nearest GM Dealer. They offered to drop off the HTT at a nearby campground and take the TV to the dealer. We were on our way to Hershey Park's High Meadow Campground almost 80 miles away. Where they wanted to take us was about 60 miles from Hershey and it was a Saturday, so our trip would have been ruined. AAA Plus towed us the 80 miles, dropped the HTT off at the campground and took the TV to a local GM Dealer in Hershey. We got to the Campground later than we planned, but we still got to enjoy Hershey Park on Sunday with other family also staying at the campground.

One of the nice things with AAA is that it covers any vehicle. I could see someone on th side of the road broken down, stop for them and call AAA for them and have them towed. As long as I am with the vehicle, it is covered. Another nice thing with AAA is that the discounts we get at Hotels, Campgrounds, Restaurants, etc. usually pays for the membership.

The one caveat with AAA is that it is not a nationwide program. So services available in your region may not be available in another region. We have not had trouble using AAA outside of our region - both times we needed the HTT and TV towed, we were outside our region. We've only ever used it on the East Coast. I have heard that some regions west of the Mississippi do not offer the same services.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #9

Everyone understands roadside service is a pre-paid insurance plan. If you never use it you still pay.

Why not pocket the premiums and then just call local help and pay for the service?

I got my Ford E450 V10 serviced at the local Ford dealer. I noticed the windshield sticker says "Call XXX-XXX-XXXX for roadside assistance". I'm going to call them and make sure it is good nation-wide. That would be the cheapest route for me.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:41 PM   #10
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by msherw View Post
Everyone understands roadside service is a pre-paid insurance plan. If you never use it you still pay.

Why not pocket the premiums and then just call local help and pay for the service?

I got my Ford E450 V10 serviced at the local Ford dealer. I noticed the windshield sticker says "Call XXX-XXX-XXXX for roadside assistance". I'm going to call them and make sure it is good nation-wide. That would be the cheapest route for me.

With most pay before, it works out best to pocked the money and take your chances(extended warranty) but with roadside service and two vehicles plus the RV it is money well spent. I have had three tire issues that required roadside repair. At $200 plus for the call, it has paid for the years I have had it. Not to mention it leaves my wife with some protection when I am not with her.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:55 AM   #11

A timely question. I'm shopping for insurance, what ever I buy it has to have a roadside option. Thdre is a LOT of scathing criticism of Camping World on YouTube. I got an email advert for Good Sam the other day and I noticed some connection to Camping World. The CEO of Camping World was the Good Sam pitch man in the advert. Any comment on any aspect of this is welcome.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:29 AM   #12

Not only No on Good Sam Club and Camping World...but HECK NO!

I try to spend money with folks of like political mindset. Its is personal with me. IMHO.

Nothing more will be said by me on this subject.

Michael and LaDonnah
Old 11-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #13

MSHERW,
I don't understand your response to my question(s). I didn't express a political position or ask a policy question. Any connection between Camping World and Good Sam? Other experience with insurance companies? I don't care who anyone else voted for, the election is over.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatnmacoat View Post
MSHERW,
I don't understand your response to my question(s). I didn't express a political position or ask a policy question. Any connection between Camping World and Good Sam? Other experience with insurance companies? I don't care who anyone else voted for, the election is over.
It was a personal response ONLY. Nothing to do with your remarks.
I don't like GS and CW for a lot of reasons and therefore I don't spend money with them. Politics aside.

Michael and LaDonnah
Old 11-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #15

I insured my TT with State Farm and was pleased to find out latter that roadside assistance is included. I have always had good luck with them on other vehicle claims and the rate is very good (<$600 per year). I have not used the RS service so don't know yet if it's any good (fingers crossed). My TV is covered by it's own roadside assistance under the warranty.
Lmbrjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #16
CAG

This really is the problem with asking for opinions in this, and other forums and I have said it before. You get mostly one sided and sometimes very biased results.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:19 AM   #17

We have roadside assistance thru our Progressive insurance. used it once. went well.
Glenn268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatnmacoat View Post
MSHERW,
The Wikipedia info below should answer your question. I am not a big fan of CW but I am a member of GS to make use of the discounts on reservations and at CW. I also use the trip planner. I have AAA for roadside assistance...

Good Sam Club is based in Englewood, Colorado.[3] The organization is currently owned by the Good Sam Enterprises, which also owns Camping World (an American corporation specializing in selling parts and service for recreational vehicles and supplies for camping), Coast to Coast Resorts,[7] Trailer Life Publications, MotorHome Publications and the Good Sam RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory.[8] The organization also offers additional services such as roadside assistance, RV insurance and RV extended warranties for additional fees.[9]
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by msherw View Post
For us, the piece of mind is nice. If I'm traveling on the interstate 500 miles from home, I don't always know what service is available and who is trust worthy. If the company works with AAA they have to be somewhat reputable.

With the discounts we get using our AAA card at Hotels, Campgrounds, Restaurants, etc., it pays for itself.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:22 PM   #20

Roadside Assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodledo View Post
AAA vs. Coach Net? Which is Better or same?
Have been using Good Sam for the last 5 years with no complaints. Had them do tire replacement, service front jacks 7 water heater repair. All good.
Jack2014 is offline   Reply With Quote