Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #1

Rock Solid Mud Flaps Installation Problems

Oh, Boy! Here I am again. I'm the guy with the 06 Greyhawk 31SS. Most of the problems have been solved. We've been on a couple of trips with no difficulties. I bought a set of Rock Solid Mud Flaps to protect my Jeep during towing. I measured the bumper, trimmed the two equal-sized pieces to fit, drilled 5 holes in each piece. Everything was going great. Went out to the motorhome and measured the proper hole locations on the under side of the bumper. I drilled a couple of holes and decided to anchor the Rock Solid section to the first hole on the left so I could use the other holes as a template to make sure the bumper holes lined up. When I tried to place the nut on the hole from above, I couldn't reach the area from the top or the bottom. I discovered even if I could reach it, I couldn't see it. I sat there on the driveway for a long time trying to figure out some way to match nut to bolt. I just couldn't do it. I even tried reverse wrapping some tape on a finger and sticking the nut to it and trying to guide it onto the bolt by feel. No luck. The configuration of the bumper just doesn't allow for either seeing the area or reaching into the area. Anyone had any luck with these things?
Widewader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
Site Team

I watched a guy tack weld a welding rod to a bolt allowing him to hold it in place. He just left the rod on it when tight.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #3

Didnt install Rock Solid but used self-tapping screws to attach my "mustache". worked super. Just a thought.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #4

Thanks, Gma-n-Gpa. I think self tapping screws might be the answer. Now, I need to find some long enough to go through the metal bracket and the bumper. I don't think the old holes will cause a problem. I'll try it this week and come back with a progress post.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #5

Widewader - let us know how that works - i used the kind my electrician uses to go through panels and junction boxes. you might try the electrical department. those little guys will cut through some pretty tough stuff. and i think you can get up to 1 1/2 inch length. good luck
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #6

Thanks again, Gma-n-Gpa. I live in a lake community that's a little bit isolated. I'm going to "town" tomorrow and intend to go to the local Lowe's and do some shopping. Since I've already drilled holes in the metal brackets framing the top of the mud flaps, I'll just insert the screws through those holes and drill through the bumper. That ought to work. I'll post the results in a few days.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #7

If you go with the self drilling/tapping bolts, consider drilling the pilot holes with a drill bit first then put in the bolts. I have snapped off those bolts using their own drill bit and this seems to help.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #8

When I did a hitch installation, I wrapped the bolt threads with a thin stiff wire and fished the bolt thru the frame and then removed the wire when the bolt was thru the hole, installed lock washer and nut.