Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2016, 06:48 AM   #1

Roof Maintenance

Hey Gang,

What should I be doing yearly to take care of my roof? On my 2015 I don't know if its a rubber roof or EPDM or something else. I keep the rig under covered storage all year; its only out in the sun/elements when I'm using it.

Covered doesn't mean enclosed, just covered.

I inspect my seals at least twice a year and I've already touched up a couple areas of Dicor.

What products should I be purchasing and applying yearly? Anybody have any tips?

Thanks !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
Site Team

I read somewhere, if the membrane is perfectly smooth, it's rubber. If it has a slight texture to it, it's TPO, or EPDM. Our TT has the texture, so a bucket of Spic-N-Span and scrub brush seem to do nicely. If you bought it new, there may be a one-sheet instruction in your paperwork, or a quick call to the Jayco gurus.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #3

It doesn't require anything but inspections and sealing your seams. Personally I put Eternabond on my old trailer and plan to put it on my new trailer as well, just haven't gotten around to it.

There is no need to keep your roof spotless, but some people obsess over a super clean roof. Black streaks are a result of the roof naturally chalking off as part of its UV resistance. Cleaning a roof doesn't prevent or slow down black streaks. All it does is make the top cleaner.
spoon059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #4

So it doesn't 'condition' the rubber/membrane or anything of that sort? Its just for looks/vanity?

Old 06-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #5

The new rubber roofs don't really need conditioning, etc. They are designed to be UV resistant and not dry out or crack. Most people clean theirs 1-2 times per year with mild soap and water. I use a quick squirt of Dawn dish soap in 2gal of warm water and wash by hand with a soft bristled hand scrub brush. I also make sure the edge gutters get cleaned out really well too. I wash the roof first, then the sides top to bottom, then the awning, in that order so gravity helps take the dirt down.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #6

X2. Agree with SkyBound. In 40 years of RVing have never done or seen the need to put all that goop on a rubber or EDPM roof. Dawn does it all. At least for now.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #7

If you want your roof too last get rid of the lap sealant self leveling caulking and replace with a 4" fiber backed seam tape that accepts a coating, you will never have to inspect your seams again, why get up on your rv roof multipule times a year? when the lap sealant is the cause of all rv roof leaks.
rvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #8

When you say 4" fiber backed seam tape that accepts a coating, what type of coating are you referring to? Is this the same tape used on commercial roof applications?
War Eagle 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvroofer View Post
If you want your roof too last get rid of the lap sealant self leveling caulking and replace with a 4" fiber backed seam tape that accepts a coating, you will never have to inspect your seams again, why get up on your rv roof multipule times a year? when the lap sealant is the cause of all rv roof leaks.
While I would agree the caulking is the cause of most rubber roof issues, my 5 1/2 year old EPDM roof membrane failed. Where the a/c's dripped condensation on the roof the EPDM membran failed and was leaking water through the membrane. My solution was rvroof.com. Not cheap, but no more expensive than a new rubber roof that I will never have again and zero caulking.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:13 AM   #10
Site Team

My roof has several tears from low hanging limbs, etc. that have been repaired with Eternabond. Problem fixed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Hey Gang,

What should I be doing yearly to take care of my roof? On my 2015 I don't know if its a rubber roof or EPDM or something else. I keep the rig under covered storage all year; its only out in the sun/elements when I'm using it.

Covered doesn't mean enclosed, just covered.

I inspect my seals at least twice a year and I've already touched up a couple areas of Dicor.

What products should I be purchasing and applying yearly? Anybody have any tips?

Thanks !
I was under the impression the 29MV is a fiberglass roof. Am I wrong ...???

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

Fiberglass roofs hit the Greyhawk for year 2016.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Fiberglass roofs hit the Greyhawk for year 2016.
OH WOW ..... I didn't know that ...... thanks ....

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote