Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #1

Question Roof Questions

2011 Greyhawk 31DS back at the dealers (AGAIN!). Repeat of several issues (nothing major, just really annoying issues) we have had since day one. Anyway, they just called and said the roof caulk is bad in several areas and it will be $300 to repair. Last spring, when the MH was less than a year old, same thing. Only it was $400 then. Does everyone have to have the caulking on the roof done every single year? We live in Cincinnati, where the weather gets humid, but nothing too severe.

Just wondering if this is something we need to expect every year. I do not want my husband climbing on the roof, and I certainly have no intention of getting up there, so we have to depend on the dealership's advice.
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #2

We have only had ours for a little more than a year, but our sealant is all in good shape. We live in the Temecula Valley where the average summer day is 100+. It should be checked annually, but to have to re-seal things EVERY year doesn't seem right.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #3

Not a greyhawk, but we bought our '12 JayFlight TT in Fall 2011. Dec 2012, I had the TT in the dealer's shop having the Jensen stereo/DVD replaced (warranty) and asked that they check the roof. They said it was in great shape, no work required.

We live in California Central Valley (summer high 100+ low humidity and winter high in 40's-50's and foggy) , stored outdoors uncoverd.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #4

My dealer does an inspection of the roof when he winterizes it. Mine is stored at the ocean, with temps in the summer often hitting 95 to 100 degrees. Granted it is only a little more than 1 year old, but last fall he said all was ok. I keep the letter just in case! I did do some touch up on the caulking last week. Not sure if it really needed it, but I felt better doing it.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #5

Who did the work last time? I'd call them up and ask them how long their caulk job should last. Is it related to the prior repair or is it new re-caulk?
I find that most RVs that I look at in Texas don't have their roofs kept up. I'd have them show you... An annual repair seems frequent to me, but usually the first thing we do with a new (used) RV is start on the roof..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #6

Dealer where we purchased the MH new has done all work, including both roof caulks. They claim these were different areas than were caulked last spring. Turned out to be over $400. They are using what they say is much better caulk than what comes from the factory. I guess time will tell. If they claim it needs to be redone again next year, we will find another place of service. Thanks for all the replies.
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #7

Have them show you. If you can't get on the roof, hand them a digital camera. Unless you trust them.
I dunno about "better caulk" - it's hard to tell without knowing, but most RV roof materials are fairly standard.
This is a high profit job, trust me. You want it fixed if it really needs it, but $400 a year sounds fishy.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #8

Re: Roof Questions

You have to remember that the "going" labor rate is $100/hr plus materials. Can you do any of the work yourself?. Get a roll of Eternabond tape from Grainger and go over all the seams/caulked areas.

Once you do the tape you will never need to do it again.

http://www.eternabond.com/?Click=205...FSZp7AodjDQAfQ