Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

Roof running lites

FYI I have a 2014 Seneca and was loading for a trip and spotted a drip of water coming out of the ceiling lite in the overhead bunk. So I went on the roof and pulled all five yellow lens off and they were full of water. The foam gasket that was under the lens had been burn by the bulb and was in pieces. I put a thin lay of silicone at the base and reinstalled them. I hope that will do it.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #2

Good Catch! One small leak creates a big mess over time.

My recommendation is to unscrew the entire light assembly and pull it way from the MH. Check the screws, if they look a little rusty, you have water penetration there. There is also a big hole for the wires. I would reseal the caulking then around the outside perimeter of the lights too.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

Same problem Ram 3500, used a little clear silicone where screw hold lens in place.No leaks couple years now.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #4

ci4mynewf I was putting a coat of Rejex on the front cap this last weekend and noticed the foam gaskets on our clearance lights were melted and pulled up as well. Our dealer is going to try to order replacement gaskets for me. However, I am thinking about replacing with a little larger light housing with LED's. So the search is on!

Jagiven I was thinking about pulling each light housing too, but Jayco assembly folks were very generous with the caulking material. Then paint shop painted over the caulking. So removing the housing your at risk removing paint and caulking material, leaving you to match the paint for touch-up. One thing we could do is remove the lens clean up the inside area at best, then seal it with GE silicone.

ed
Attached Thumbnails
ClearanceLight.jpg   ClearanceLightA.jpg  
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:19 AM   #5

Had the same on our 2014 37FS. No leaks, but the bulb melted gaskets. I made new ones and then replaced bulbs with LEDs. Much cooler.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #6

Finally got around to replacing our Jayco clearance lights with Grote Supernova LED's. The LED module is weather sealed and only draws .12a per unit. The install was fairly easy, I made a template of the new lights footprint to assist in removing sealer the Jayco folks applied. I applied a little bead of Geocel Pro Flex around the inner base before installing them. Shown in one of the pictures you can see the size difference between the new and old.
Attached Thumbnails
C Lights1.jpg   C Lights2.jpg   C Lights3.jpg   C Lights4.jpg   C Lights5.jpg  

Old 12-03-2017, 12:53 AM   #7

Thank you for that post Ed. I'm gonna replace all those lights on my 2017 31fs with the LED's. The stock lights are just junk. What ever happened to Bargeman? They we're standard equipment like forever. There's no bargeman logo on those lights.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4ster View Post
Finally got around to replacing our Jayco clearance lights with Grote Supernova LED's. The LED module is weather sealed and only draws .12a per unit. The install was fairly easy, I made a template of the new lights footprint to assist in removing sealer the Jayco folks applied. I applied a little bead of Geocel Pro Flex around the inner base before installing them. Shown in one of the pictures you can see the size difference between the new and old.
Thanks Ed...great post. I was just on my roof yesterday looking at these lights. Definitely will become problematic. I'm going to follow your lead on this and soon. Got a long trip out west coming up in Feb. Nice work!
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:04 AM   #9

For those who might be interested, Zoro on ebay has the Grote 47183 for $16.88 a piece and free shipping on orders over $50. Item # 382203917705 on ebay. Prices on this item range wildly on the internet, so this seems like a pretty good deal, especially if you buy a set of 5. I went for 6 so I have an extra in my "Combat Spares" locker
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #10

Thanks guys, Zoro is where I got my lights from at the same $16.88 + $12.66 off the total (15% discount if you signup for zmail) + fast free shipping.

ed