Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #1

Angry Roof seal failed on new (2016) Melbourne 24k, lots of water damage

We purchased a brand new Melbourne 24L in May 2016 (not 24K like I said in the title, my apologies!) and have had two major issues:

1) The slideout went catywhompus and began to dig into the linoleum floor when retracted, and squeaked very loudly. The dealer said Jayco would repair this (and replace the linoleum) under our 2-year warranty, and they have done that.

2) While it was in the shop getting repaired, it was apparently out under a heavy rain. The seal on the roof between the nylon front piece (with the greybird logo) and the aluminum roofing failed and the bunk area over the cab flooded. Not sure how long it took them to notice this, but when they took photos there was mold present. They charged us $2k to replace the roof seals and $400 to repair the damage to the bunk. Since it was only 18 months old and this happened on their watch, I assumed our 2-year warranty would cover it, but they said no, this was a maintenance item and therefore our responsibility! (To my knowledge they never informed us of the need to check the roof seals, and we've had it in several times and they never suggested this.)

I'm thinking about appealing to Jayco, and then small claims court. We always kept it covered and never experienced any problems. They left it out under the rain (they've had it for over a month) and it flooded on their watch. Plus I would think a 2-year bumper-to-bumper warranty should cover the integrity of the roof seals?

Anyone else had any experience like this? Or any advice? We don't yet have it back from them, and our warranty paperwork is inside the unit, so we'll read that more carefully once we get it back, and make a decision as to how to proceed.
darklordlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordlarry View Post
2) While it was in the shop getting repaired, it was apparently out under a heavy rain. The seal on the roof between the nylon front piece (with the greybird logo) and the aluminum roofing failed and the bunk area over the cab flooded. Not sure how long it took them to notice this, but when they took photos there was mold present. They charged us $2k to replace the roof seals and $400 to repair the damage to the bunk. Since it was only 18 months old and this happened on their watch, I assumed our 2-year warranty would cover it, but they said no, this was a maintenance item and therefore our responsibility! (To my knowledge they never informed us of the need to check the roof seals, and we've had it in several times and they never suggested this.)

I'm thinking about appealing to Jayco, and then small claims court.

.....snip...

Plus I would think a 2-year bumper-to-bumper warranty should cover the integrity of the roof seals?

Anyone else had any experience like this? Or any advice? We don't yet have it back from them, and our warranty paperwork is inside the unit, so we'll read that more carefully once we get it back, and make a decision as to how to proceed.
I would contact JAYCO to see if they will cover it, but the owners manual clearly states it is your responsibility to "inspect and reseal as needed" every 6 months.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:56 PM   #3

That sucks. We did get them to reseal a couple gaps in the sealant like in the photo under warranty with no issues after 12 months of ownership. No leaks that we noticed though. We are thinking of going the RV Armor route to hopefully avoid your issue going forward.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top of front cap gap in sealant.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	36392
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, mold, roof, seals, slideout