Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #1

Roof vent cover

I have 2012 Jayco Melbourne 29d with 3 roof vents - 2 auto power and I manual ( BR)
thinking of installing vent covers.
seeking advice on whether to install ? adv? disadv?
What type to install? maxair ? fan-tastic? other?
any problem with auto opening vents and covers?
thanks
chimo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #2
Site Team

Check how far the power vent lids open and get covers that are tall enough to allow full open. The cover for the manual vent won't matter, because you stop cranking it when the lid touches the cover. Power vents may get damaged, because they want to open fully The manufacturer of your power vents probably offer covers that work with their products. They're easy to install, and really keep rain out well. I've always installed them on all our campers.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #3

I put standard maxxair vent cover over bathroom vent (has small fan). Put Fantastic brand cover over other (high volume fan). Bath is manual opening, other is power open. No problems with either but neither one opens fully, opens about 3/4 before hits underside of cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof Vents (3).jpg   Roof Vents (5).jpg  
Old 08-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #4

Not a Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Check how far the power vent lids open and get covers that are tall enough to allow full open. The cover for the manual vent won't matter, because you stop cranking it when the lid touches the cover. Power vents may get damaged, because they want to open fully The manufacturer of your power vents probably offer covers that work with their products. They're easy to install, and really keep rain out well. I've always installed them on all our campers.
That is not actually a concern. The motors in those fans actually require pressure to stop, they don't have a pre defined travel distance so using a "Short" cover will not negatively impact them. They use the same mechanism for closing. The only negative impact you may experience is a decrease in airflow by restricting the size of the opening.

I use Maxxair on both my manual and power fans and am very happy with their performance.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #5

I put a couple MaxxAir 2 covers on our greyhawk. One is over a manual vent the other is over a power one. The power one stops fine when it hits the vent cover. One thing to note, the black ones block out all the light. We originally purchased black to match the AC and other roof mounted items, but it made the bathroom and bedroom area too dark, so we went with the white (which lets a lot of light thru). Just something to be aware of.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #6

Was thinking Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceChaser0 View Post
I put a couple MaxxAir 2 covers on our greyhawk. One is over a manual vent the other is over a power one. The power one stops fine when it hits the vent cover. One thing to note, the black ones block out all the light. We originally purchased black to match the AC and other roof mounted items, but it made the bathroom and bedroom area too dark, so we went with the white (which lets a lot of light thru). Just something to be aware of.
Funny, I was recently considering changing mine out to the black. My wife does not like all the light in the bedroom fan in the morning and I just finished cutting out inserts to put in my fans to reduce the heat transfer coming in with all that sunshine. The black covers might reduce my need for those inserts.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote