Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #1

Rooftop Sealant - Scrape or Cover

Hi Everyone! You have all been so awesome with your advice since I'm a new Jayco owner. I just got my 2007 a week ago and have been going through all of it top to bottom after the purchase. I was aware of all of the repairs needed when I bought it (well almost all of them).

I have been replacing all the cracked sealant on the roof with Eternabond 4" tape. I love that stuff! I think it will be much better in the AZ heat and if it needs to be replaced I'm cool with scraping that off long before that Dicor, holy cow that's been a pain (had to remove a tape type sealant from the slide out seam, it was easy to take off after 11 years on the rig and easy to put more back down after cleaning).

Here is my question... for the seam at the front of the coach on the cap. Should I scrape off ALL of this (see pic) or should I just cover with the Eternabond tape and overlap the seams as well as have plenty that's on the painted surface of the cap and the roof? If I don't HAVE to scrape it I would love that.

I have been through every inch of the rig so despite the cracks there is no water damage... hooray for living in AZ, but bummer it's the heat that cracks this stuff. I think all of this is original to the coach which is CRAZY. But that's why I'm removing it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3609.jpg   IMG_5125.jpg   IMG_7236.jpg  
Old 02-18-2018, 10:45 PM   #2

Here are some pics from the other areas of the coach and my eternabond job on one skylight.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0607.jpg   IMG_6516.jpg  
Old 02-18-2018, 10:53 PM   #3

It looks to be fairly bad. I would scrap it. I used 6" eternabond on that front seam.

The vent looked great.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, scrape off as much of the old, compromised caulking as possible thus exposing a stable surface for the Eternabond sealer tape to adhere to. The front roof seam takes a lot of wind while in tow so a good bond is important.

Try using a hair blow dryer when removing the old caulking, may help in the removal process and minimize surface scraping. I used one to remove the old sealer tape along my retired '05' Eagle's slide roof and it worked well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:15 PM   #5

After you scrape off that mess remove 1 or 2 of the screws holding that aluminum trim strip in place and check for any rust on the screws. If there is replace them with new screws 1 size larger and 1/4" longer and then 6" EternaBond tape.
Oh, and use a plastic scraper ( most important)!!!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Here are some pics from the other areas of the coach and my eternabond job on one skylight.
What would you do if you need to replace the skylight. This stuff doesn’t come off. You got to remove the roof membrane around it.

Lazy Me, Found it.
https://www.eternabond.com/articles.asp?id=165

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
What would you do if you need to replace the skylight. This stuff doesn’t come off. You got to remove the roof membrane around it.

Lazy Me, Found it.

That's a great question! Probably a bunch of mineral spirits to help it come up! I'm not sure, but hope that doesn't happen.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #8

If you take a hair dryer to it it will come off, sticky mess but it can be removed.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #9

Quote:

Lazy Me, Found it.
I think the instructions say to just cut the EternaBond at the edge of the skylight flange, not the roof membrane. In any event, I had to remove EternaBond from around my shower skylight due to hail cracking it. I used an 1800 watt hair dryer to peel it up...not easy but doable.
BTW, on the OP question; yes, I would remove the old Dicor (or whatever it is) because you need a smoother surface in order to get a good bond.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:

Lazy Me, Found it.
I was thinking about it a bit more, my roof is fiberglass so I think with a heat gun it should come off ok if needed.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:22 PM   #11

When i got my new, '17 26BH last summer, I immediately removed all the Dicor and applied Eternabond tape. I used a plastic scraper, and removal of the Dicor was tedious, but probably easier than waiting for the Dicor to age for several years.

I'd certainly want to try to remove the Dicor sealant on the front strip is I had your trailer, as that's a critical seam. I used 4" tape on my front seam, reasoning that my Dicor removal was fairly thorough, and it was a new trailer, and if the Eternabond tape works, 4" ought to do it. With an older trailer, and maybe incomplete removal of aged Dicor, I suppose I'd opt for 6" Eternabond.

The only places I didn't use Eternabond was around the round sections of tubing where the ladder attaches to the roof, and around the radio antenna. Just seemed like the Dicor "fits" those areas pretty well compared to custom cutting Eternabond tape to accommodate a small, round fitting. Who knows?
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dicor, eternabond, roof, sealant