Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2017, 05:56 AM   #1

Room slide failure

I was in Louisville yesterday and packing up to leave when the passenger side slide would not come in (I was solo for this trip). This same slide had warranty motor replacement in October of 2015. I call the dealer and nothing would work. Called for local RV service and that was a no go as well. Finally got someone to push in on the slide as I hit the button and he was able to push the slide in. Super frustrated!

Are the Schwinteck slides junk or is this just bad luck? Will Jayco take care of this outside of warranty because they worked on it already? How do I diagnose the failure? Not feeling the "love" relative to my Seneca right now!!

Thanks
Old 10-22-2017, 06:25 AM   #2

Sorry to hear this, let us know what you find out. After pushing the slide in, does it lock in place somehow to prevent it from moving out? We were told not to hold the switch in too long as it would burn out the motor; is that your understanding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:34 AM   #3

I always hold it for just a second or two at either end of the cycle to make sure it "zero's" out to stay aligned.

Once it was pushed back in it stayed in place for the drive home. I will call Jayco this week to see what they will do.

Need to figure out how to diagnose what the problem is unless I take it back to the dealer.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would probably put a meter on motor and see if it's getting 12V.
If not, I would start investigating switch and any controller.
If yes, then I would put motor and bench test it.

D.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #5

Same here, final slide closing for the season and motor failed. Got unit out of dealer after 6 months about a week ago and I new nothing was done with it. One motor was sounding weaker and weaker. Had two people push it as i ran the switch and got it as closed as possible. I'm sure it's probably common.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
When you look at the design from swintec or lippert you wonder how they get away with it. They are built very poor even their roller bushing do not stand up. Time to build our own because companies only want our money and do not deliver quality. I'm tired of even repairing them.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #7

This week i was checking out the slide and what do you know...it is working just fine...wth in a good sort of way!!!!!

What to do now? Are there 2 motors or 4 motors? How do I replace a motor? Is there a service manual somewhere?

Thanks,
Old 10-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #8

Mike, not sure if this will help as I have a Precept vs your Seneca BUT I hack schwinteck slide unit on one On my way! Slides and have had intermittent issues I did locate manuals on the LCI web site Briefly, I have two motors (top left and top right corners of the slide. There is a controller that runs both motors. Mine is located under the bed slide. The manuals go through a diagnostic and manual operations. Hope that helps.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #9

Have you guys been lubricating your mechanisms? If it is one thing I remember from my PDI is that the tech said to make sure to lube the slides often. I do it occasionally on the normal slide, but do it prob once a month on the schwintek. There is a video online that shows how to do it. (Attached) As soon as I start noticing the motor having any issues, I lube it up and it appears to be much happier.

Also, one big thing that i noticed is that if the screws that hold the gear type rail to the slide are in sideways at all, they stick out just a bit. This causes them to get caught on the wall on the way in and you may hear a pop every now and then. Best option here is to either remove that one screw altogether or pull it out and try to get it back in straight.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #10

Lippert does have some decent videos on U Tube.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #11

Not sure how you would lube when slide is closed, not much room on the Melbourne 24 L.
livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #12

I looked at the video and at the end he said do the same procedure on the inside. Do you think he ment the other side.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #13

I am not sure but the slide on mine is about 35 inches deep and not much room. You would think it could be reached from the outside and just wipe the inside gaskets with silicone.
livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #14

Trying to lube the areas he mentioned in the video on the inside of our Eagle TT would be almost impossible on one side of the slide out with the Schwintek system unless I just start to retract it and then stop it about a foot or two in, which I thought was something they said not to do to keep it from getting out of sync.

Otherwise, there wouldn't be enough room for me to even reach between the side of the slide and the cabinets right next to it.

Add that to the fact that the slide with the Schwintek system is the kitchen slide which is by far the heaviest one in the RV, and me thinks this is just asking for problems no matter what I do or don't do.