Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2020, 01:46 PM   #1

rotting subfloor

Hi, I just peeled back the vinyl flooring in my 2016 Grayhawk 31 FS in the kitchen area below the slideout. The plywood is mush.(see picture) I can't believe my eyes given the motorhome is 4 years old.

I crawled under the rig to examine further. Unfortunately there is a storage compartment exactly where the plywood is mush.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to replace the mushy plywood. I'm hoping I can simply cut out the bad wood inside the rig and replace without having to remove the compartment below the subfloor.

The mush area is about 1 foot in width and about 2 feet in length. It may be more but at this point I don't want to take apart the slide.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0753.jpg  
Neil&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #2

You have block foam under the plywood between the floor joist. I doubt that it was caused from below. The water probably got under the linoleum.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:10 PM   #3

I would spend some time doing some investigating work.

To get an idea how the floor is constructed, locate a hole, for like propane or electrical ground wires.

Contact Jayco with your Vin number and ask for the construction schematics. That will tell you where the framing members are at.

Probably the most important thing, figure out where the water is coming in at! Bad slide seal, road spray, leak from the roof, etc. Spend some time and get that resolved as soon as possible, or as part of your repair plan.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #4

Thank you very much!
Neil&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:14 AM   #5

Exclamation Rotted subfloor under slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil&Anna View Post
Hi, I just peeled back the vinyl flooring in my 2016 Grayhawk 31 FS in the kitchen area below the slideout. The plywood is mush.(see picture) I can't believe my eyes given the motorhome is 4 years old.

I crawled under the rig to examine further. Unfortunately there is a storage compartment exactly where the plywood is mush.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to replace the mushy plywood. I'm hoping I can simply cut out the bad wood inside the rig and replace without having to remove the compartment below the subfloor.

The mush area is about 1 foot in width and about 2 feet in length. It may be more but at this point I don't want to take apart the slide.

Thanks for your help.

Hey, I have a similar problem. The plywood "sandwich" which exists between the aluminum frame joists and the steel mount for the slide has rotted out. I was thinking of loosening a bolt, and hammering some steel pieces underneath it to better support the slide and then place new marine plywood everywhere else. Thoughts?
Mandopolis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moisture, rotten wood, slide out problems