Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
That's the same genny that I have on my rig. I was out looking at it earlier while doing last minute Winter prep.
do you happen to have a part number for the fuel pump and filter? There appear to be around 100 different numbers for each. Doing a search using Spec R doesn't get my anything useful. Good point on the fuel line, but wouldn't that connection point require either pressure of gravity feed? I don't have any way to pressurize a gas can, might be able to get it high enough to provide some head. Tell ya, I'm really gettin over the wonderment of motorhome ownership
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #22

Did a little research on this generator. It looks like a complete replacement carb is under $60. Also, very easy to replace.

Watch this youtube

It might be better to just put a new one in yourself. Nothing technical or reqiuiring special tools or skills to me.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #23

Be sure to check ebay for a replacement carb. I got one for a portable generator that was a good price, easy to install, and runs great.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #24

We had an Onan 4000 w generator in our Jayco Designer for years. When we bought it the carb was all plugged up because of not being used. After we got that fixed, it didn't want to go through that again. If I wasn't going to be using the generator for a period of time, I would shut off the gas valve and let the generator run dry. The problem was fixed.
enjoyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #25

ChemTool B-12

There are many helpful suggestions here, but I think you would be most satisfied using ChemTool B-12. It’s a more modern cleaner than Seafoam and it’s very effective.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #26

Take some carb cleaner. Spray into carb throat while running. Card cleaner is stronger than SeaFoam... And will dissolve crud. You could also spray then shut down and let sit. Then run. Once it's running longer, use seafoam into tank. The can will tell you how much to add.

I use Seafoam all the time for the 4 carbs in my motorcycles.

The problem is the gas gets old fast nowadays and solidifies, cruds up the small fuel ports in the carbs. Seafoam is a good maintainer, like Stabil is for storage...But Seafoam will not clean serious solid crud... Only a good carb cleaner can do that.

If you feel inclined, take carb off and clean, clean, clean! Use nylon/ catgut guitar strings to clean passages. I've used the tiny steel E string, but was very careful not to scratch the jets or ports.

From your last running description, your gen is running but not under load. That tells me the main or pilot jet is clogged. Or a passage in that area is clogged. If you can find a carb schematic on line, grab it.... and clean.

BTW, don't use any of the heavy duty cleaners like Berrymans for very long. They will dissolve any rubber seals or seats inside the carb.

Good luck.. Take your time... Consider this a learning opportunity!
Sorry for long post... Hope it isn't to littered with errors.... I'm sending from my phone.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #27

ChemTool B-12 will not dissolve seals or seats when used as directed. If used when the generator engine is running rough, it will clean it up, smooth it out. It will save you from a rebuild or new carb.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #28

Agreed... But I know to many who left their carbs in the stuff for too long.... It cost them.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #29

Thanks for all the great posts and advice! I have gotten the gen to start and run and have gotten about an hour runtime on Seafoam so far. Still not putting out constant power though. New fuel pump came in today, new filter on Monday and will see how much they help. Carb is next if they don't fix it.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #30

Clean the jets

I've worked on carburetors for over 40 years.....everything from weed-wackers to antique tractors to Holley race carbs, so hopefully I can be of assistance.

Carburetors are designed with multiple "circuits", with each having some type of metering device for fuel & air. Sometimes the metering device is "cast" into the carburetor during the manufacturing process, while others are "installed" into the carburetor. These circuits aid an engine in starting (choke circuit), idling (idle circuit), running above idle (mid-range circuit) and full throttle (main jet & needle). The circuits work together to allow transitions from starting, up to full throttle, then back to idle.

The circuits on your generator's carb are going to be small and any type of build-up will easily block of one of them, which in turn, can affect performance of the other circuits.
Sometimes one circuit can be fixed by adding a cleaning product to the gas. Other times, a spray can of cleaner will do the job. My experience is that's it's better to go ahead and remove the carb, then perform exploratory surgery. Most small carbs can be disassembled and reassembled without the need for a carb kit.

You can do it!

Take pictures of the carburetor mounted on the generator, noting specifics about hoses, linkages, electrical connections, etc.

Remove the above mentioned items and unbold the carburetor from the intake manifold on the generator.

The key to a successful disassembly is, once again, documenting the process. There may be hidden ball bearings, o-rings or springs, so be careful. Any screws that appear to be for adjustment (such as an idle mixture screw), should be carefully turned "in" until they gently bottom out, while counting the number of turns or partial turns. Make yourself a note (for reassembly), then remove them.

Once you get the carb disassembled, start cleaning every circuit (port) by spraying with Berryman's ChemTool (my personal favorite). This will usually knock things loose, but you may need to follow with compressed air. I've had to resort to cleaning a ports & main jets with a tool used to clean the tips on an acetylene torch, which is basically the smallest drill bit you've ever seen.

Once you're confident that all of the circuits/ports/jets are totally unrestricted, spray the carburetor body, slide, fuel bowl , etc.

Reassemble in the reverse order.

The key to keeping these little boogers operational is exercising them regularly and keeping your fuel fresh or stabilized. Ethanol in our gas wreaks havoc with small carburetors, since ethanol absorbs moisture and causes build-up and rust. It doesn't take much to stop up a port that's not much bigger than a human hair, in some instances.
WestTexasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #31

I've been working on small engines as a hobby. The I'd bet your high speed is dirty, remove the carb bowl, take the jet out (it's on the bottom of the carb) use carb cleaner to blowout the small opening, if really dirty use a strand off a wire brush to open it up.
LarryB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #32

Question; I wanted to run my generator the other day while I was cleaning the rig and the few times I tried it it was almost as if the generator was seized. I checked my voltage it was about 12.4. It finally cranked after another two or three times. I know I drainEd the house battery a bit using some of the 12 V systems while I was cleaning. Does anybody have experience with the generator not cranking with this type of voltage?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #33

Ebay new carb was just under 300.
Jeeper90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper90 View Post
Ebay new carb was just under 300.
Personally, I'd rather pay a little more and get it from a Cummins dealer. I have no trust in anything Ebay.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Sea Foam! That is the best stuff going and the only thing I used in fuel that may sit for awhile.

Two ways to go here. You can dump a liberal amount into the tank and run the genny until it runs the way you want it or you can get Sea Foam fogger and follow the directions for cleaning the carb, which is likely the problem.

I have a 9 year old toy hauler (I just sold) and never went without Sea Foam in it. It still fires up like new.
Three thumbs up on the Seafoam.........great stuff! Son used a stout solution in a antique Farmall tractor that hadn't been ran in a couple of years...............it runs like a champ now.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #36

Just drop the carburator bowl, fill 1/2 with carb cleaner be or injector cleaner and the other half with fresh gas.
Reinstall and start the gen set up. Let run for 30 min or more.
Donmystic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #37

Marvel Mystery Oil also works great!!!
jnpj6279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Be sure to check ebay for a replacement carb. I got one for a portable generator that was a good price, easy to install, and runs great.
Your.correct Replace carb and put inline fuel filter. And try not.use ethanol.fuel.
Mr Lebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lebo View Post
Your.correct Replace carb and put inline fuel filter. And try not.use ethanol.fuel.
Carb replacement is last resort due to price. Got new fuel pump and filter today but hesitant to tear into areas I'm not familiar with. Ran more on Seafoam and its getting there, ran AC with no problems today. I'd love to not use ethanol fuel. Except that you can't find gas without it.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:50 PM   #40

I'm not sure where you're located, but I can buy non-ethanol gasoline in Evansville, Indiana at CountryMark stations. They only offer it in premium grade and it's about $ 1.00 or $ 1.50 more than regular unleaded, but you don't have to deal with all of the other issues. If you aren't located in Cal you can google ethanol-free gasoline and get a listing of stations in your area that sell it.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote