Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #1

Running propane generator A/C while driving?

Hello. We bought a 2000 32' Class C Designer in immaculate condition and 30k miles. I know both of the previous owners, who really only used it for in-state tailgating and camping.
I've asked them this question, and they're both saying it's dangerous; however, I've seen people, with Class A's say they do, but it seems class A generators just sound like engines...and not generators.
Im pretty sure it's the original generator, so it's loud. Do any of you drive with the generator and A/C on? The back gets so hot and I travel with animals.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
barracuda28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:49 PM   #2

No problem running genset to run AC while on the road. You should ask the sellers why they think it's dangerous.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #3

Ok. Thank you!
I've never turned off my propane valve to pump gas, as stated on my rv. I don't see why it's dangerous.
But, it's good to know. I didn't want to look like the idiot running her generator while driving. I've already gotten funny looks while my engine on my toad was running. Ha. Battery ran down and I jumped it, so I left it running for about an hour to charge. People said "hey, you know your jeep is running?" Haha. Yes! Thanks.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #4

Are you sure it's propane? Our 2001 was gasoline and ran off the MH fuel tank.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #5

Lol. Yes, I'm sure.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #6

Driving through Oregon this week I made a fuel stop with my genset running. Oregon is a state that requires an attendant to fuel your vehicle. I was curious if the attendant would say anything about the running genset. Never mentioned it. So then I was in double jeopardy with my fridge running on propane and my genset running on gas. Whew, I didn't get blown up.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracuda28 View Post
Lol. Yes, I'm sure.

Just an unusual combination, usually propane units are in FW and TT and occasionally diesel Class c's.

Did forget to add either way its absolutely safe to run while on the road. As mentioned above more owners do than don't
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Driving through Oregon this week I made a fuel stop with my genset running. Oregon is a state that requires an attendant to fuel your vehicle. I was curious if the attendant would say anything about the running genset. Never mentioned it. So then I was in double jeopardy with my fridge running on propane and my genset running on gas. Whew, I didn't get blown up.
Haha!
And good to know about OR. It's one of the few states I haven been to. I thought NJ was the only state that did that.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:48 PM   #9

The only reason I knew that Oregon required an attendant was because they're next door and I'm there frequently. I've never seen a sign indicating such at any of the gas stations I've been to.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #10

As others have said, I run my genset to my destination. Keeps the coach cool and the fridge stays nice and cold. All of my friends we camp with do the same thing. Mine runs off of gas though, not propane. Enjoy your RV!
Joe

JH
Tampa Bay
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29ME
0and2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #11

Hi everyone.
I'm new to RV world. I purchased my first MH a 2004 greyhawk 41000 31ss. Just reading post for some info that would be useful in future n now. Just to understand what everyone is saying here. I CAN run generator while I'm driving to use rooftop AC? This doesn't harm rooftop AC?

Thanks
irishmick is offline   Reply With Quote