Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #41

Here's my follow up on my floor. My warranty is up July 14. Want to use the motorhome this summer and are leaving Oct. 28 for 5 months in Florida which wouldn't leave a lot of time to have it at the dealer. We are also starting to look at Seneca's but probably wouldn't pull that trigger until we get to Florida. Talked to the service representative the other day and asked if it's documented while under warranty, could the work be done after the warranty is up. Discussed bringing it in the end of August and as long as we got it back by around October 20, they could have it 6 -7 weeks. Just heard back from him and it's been approved. He said he requested 60 hours for labor and Jayco approved 75 hours and sent detailed instructions for the job. Does require complete standing old glue from the floor. He's ordering the new vinyl today. Still can't believe they keep doing the same thing with these floors year after year. Don't know what Jayco pays the dealer hourly for warranty work but this can't be cheap.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 02:27 PM   #42

I'm getting ready to take mine in August 23 to have the floor replaced. Looking at the floor it appears it was installed in one continuous sheet of vinyl. There are no seems. It goes under the dinette, couch, bed, slide, counters, into the bathroom, everything. Short of removing most all of these items, installing the floor, and then putting them back over the floor, how did they install yours? Quite honestly, I'm getting a little nervous that when I get it back it will look worse than having a few spots on the floor. Jayco is allowing up to 75 hours labor which I assume is going to go toward removal and reinstalling most of these items. I can't see how they can get the floor under the slide without removing the slide and without removing the toilet, I don't see how they do it without a seem around the toilet.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:02 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
I'm getting ready to take mine in August 23 to have the floor replaced. Looking at the floor it appears it was installed in one continuous sheet of vinyl. There are no seems. It goes under the dinette, couch, bed, slide, counters, into the bathroom, everything. Short of removing most all of these items, installing the floor, and then putting them back over the floor, how did they install yours? Quite honestly, I'm getting a little nervous that when I get it back it will look worse than having a few spots on the floor. Jayco is allowing up to 75 hours labor which I assume is going to go toward removal and reinstalling most of these items. I can't see how they can get the floor under the slide without removing the slide and without removing the toilet, I don't see how they do it without a seem around the toilet.

Mine is getting replaced now and should be ready for pickup next week. They had a real problem getting the old glue off the base wood floor. Getting the old glue off is critical, as it will bleed right back through the new vinyl. They even mentioned applying a thin sheet of wood overlayment over the glue stained subfloor, not sure if they had to do that.

What they do is cut the old vinyl out and use that as a template for the cuts on the new vinyl. With mine it would have been a pain because so many angles in the bathroom. They asked if they could cut the new vinyl at the bath door and install a threshold, I agreed, can live with that. I wondered about the toilet as well, I would think they remove it, thats easy enough. Also wonder about the slide. Dont know until I get it back. They install quarter round trim around most everything else to hide the seam at the cabinets, etc.

I plan on posting the results of mine, complete with pics, will try to do that ASAP once I get the RV back.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:34 PM   #44

Truly appreciate your response. Please follow up when you get it back. How long will they have it for total?
Old 07-09-2022, 04:00 PM   #45

Theyve had it much longer than originally expected, a little over a month now. Mostly due to the glue removal problems. Then July 4th approached and they were swamped with units needing attention from people who wanted to camp. I understand that and agreed to set mine aside until after the 4th.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:29 PM   #46
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
Mine is getting replaced now and should be ready for pickup next week. They had a real problem getting the old glue off the base wood floor. Getting the old glue off is critical, as it will bleed right back through the new vinyl. They even mentioned applying a thin sheet of wood overlayment over the glue stained subfloor, not sure if they had to do that.

What they do is cut the old vinyl out and use that as a template for the cuts on the new vinyl. With mine it would have been a pain because so many angles in the bathroom. They asked if they could cut the new vinyl at the bath door and install a threshold, I agreed, can live with that. I wondered about the toilet as well, I would think they remove it, thats easy enough. Also wonder about the slide. Dont know until I get it back. They install quarter round trim around most everything else to hide the seam at the cabinets, etc.

I plan on posting the results of mine, complete with pics, will try to do that ASAP once I get the RV back.
If I were doing it I'd forget removing the old flooring and thus the sanding, lay a 1/8" luan down and the new flooring on top of that. Otherwise, removing glued down vinyl flooring is a regular pita on slab floors, on wood floors you can multiply that by an exponent. Usually RV floors are loose laid, they simply pull the flooring off a roller over the entire floor and staple it down before dropping the walls in. Course then, imho, the best route would have been some kind of
vinyl plank flooring laid directly over the existing floor, if its installed by a pro there's no need for shoe molding.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 04:54 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
If I were doing it I'd forget removing the old flooring and thus the sanding, lay a 1/8" luan down and the new flooring on top of that. Otherwise, removing glued down vinyl flooring is a regular pita on slab floors, on wood floors you can multiply that by an exponent. Usually RV floors are loose laid, they simply pull the flooring off a roller over the entire floor and staple it down before dropping the walls in. Course then, imho, the best route would have been some kind of
vinyl plank flooring laid directly over the existing floor, if its installed by a pro there's no need for shoe molding.

Not sure how they could get the new vinyl cut for all the angles, without cutting out the old vinyl and use as the template.

Yes, the 1/8 luan is probably what they were thinking to cover the troublesome glue, between the subfloor and new vinyl.

Yes, I have had RVs in the past without glue used. Wonder if thats better, after seeing all the trouble with this toxic glue, whatever it is.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:22 PM   #48
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
Not sure how they could get the new vinyl cut for all the angles, without cutting out the old vinyl and use as the template.

Yes, the 1/8 luan is probably what they were thinking to cover the troublesome glue, between the subfloor and new vinyl.

Yes, I have had RVs in the past without glue used. Wonder if thats better, after seeing all the trouble with this toxic glue, whatever it is.
I'd be interested to see how you remove a glued down vinyl floor in one piece to use as a template.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 11:33 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williasi View Post
Hello, I have a 2020 Entegra Odyssey, that I bought just over a year ago. I have noticed that rust spots are appearing on the floor through out the vehicle. I have attached some pictures. There are more spots than the pictures show, but lighting was an issue. I live in Southern California so no salted roads. Given the age of the vehicle, rust should not be a concern. However I am now concerned. Could be cheap linoleum...but not sure. I see some rust on the drive shaft, but I have not noticed any on the frame. any suggestions?
Hello
Did you get your floor replaced? I have a 21 rp and it is being done now.
USMC0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 11:37 PM   #50

Have you ever seen the results of the vinyl flooring being replaced? Mine is a warranty for the spots and Im concerned of it looking not like new. Once they take it all apart and break things Im still warrantied
Old 07-10-2022, 03:29 PM   #51

My 2020 came out pretty good. Looked like the original floor and didn't see any trim piece out of place. Sold the unit so don't know how it held up after a few years.
On to 2022, my new 29V is having the same problem. About ready to contact Jayco about the warranty.
Jim
2022 Entegra Esteem 29V
Meadowlark Paint
jim7489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 04:19 PM   #52

How many years does Jayco need to use the same friggin glue / process before they figure out it’s not working? I mean, seriously my 2019 Greyhawk had the same problem. Talk about not giving a crap about the customer.

I try not to rant on this forum but this is ridiculous. Does warranty not talk to production at all? Is there no warranty claim review at all that drives process improvements?

/rant

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 04:46 PM   #53

Thank you for the information and I’m having a dealer do the floor. I’m in Ca and was going to drive it to Indiana to Jayco. I have 9 months of warranty still.
Mine is a 21 Melbourne RP
Old 07-10-2022, 05:00 PM   #54

I like the idea of the vinyl plank flooring. I could lay the sections right over the existing floor. Cut the angles as needed instead of tracing a cutout on a sheet of vinyl, then trying not to rip it when putting it down. I have a 2020 26XD and the spots are just beginning to show up. My warranty expired this last May, which in my case is a moot point because after seeing the incredibly poor quality of work done by my dealers service dept. I wouldn't bring it to them to replace a blown fuse. Also I have a problem with the flooring hold down screws coming loose and pushing up the vinyl flooring. I have repaired 8 so far and I really want to put some miles on it before dealing with the floor covering. Right now all is good, and next week we're leaving on a 3-4 month cross country trip. If no more screws come loose I think I might just try this vinyl planking idea. Thanks for the great Idea!!!
Old 07-10-2022, 05:01 PM   #55

Thanks to all who have replied and had satisfactory repairs. I will probably still take mine in on August 23 but I'll be shaking like a cat pooping razor blades until I get it back and see it. I guess I'm confident they can replace the floor but it's putting things back together properly and not damaging other things that concerns me. I know they will have to take up the toilet and put it back and I don't trust them to do that without it leaking like it was when I brought it home from the dealer. Thanks again to the all who have responded.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #56

Hello
Did you get the flooring resolved? Mine is being repaired now and was concerned the spots reappear. I have 21 melbourne RP warranty still
Old 07-10-2022, 06:38 PM   #57

Im having the same issue and the flooring is being ripped up and concerned about things getting damaged. Was debating getting it back to Jayco Factory service if a redo. They have the parts available.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:25 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
How many years does Jayco need to use the same friggin glue / process before they figure out it’s not working? I mean, seriously my 2019 Greyhawk had the same problem. Talk about not giving a crap about the customer.

I try not to rant on this forum but this is ridiculous. Does warranty not talk to production at all? Is there no warranty claim review at all that drives process improvements?

/rant

I had the exact same thought! It HAS to be financially more advantageous to Jayco to consume existing stock rather than switch. Or it has to be "Ford Pinto Math" - the cost of warranty work is still less than the cost of a different glue.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:09 AM   #59

I can only assume a vast majority of these floors never get replaced under warranty. If they had to do it under warranty they would change their ways. Jayco has authorized up to 75 hours of labor on mine. I don't know what the dealer gets per hour for warranty work but I'm sure they will bill for all the hours they can. The dealer shop hourly labor rate is $185. If they get $100 for warranty work that's $7,500 just for labor on mine.
Old 07-14-2022, 03:35 PM   #60

My vinyl floor replacement is complete, picked unit up today.

Overall happy with the replacement. This repair also covered several screws and other slight protrusions I had with the original vinyl, so happy with that. I had agreed to cutting the new vinyl at the bath entry and installing a threshold, OK. But they also had to install another threshold at the bedroom entry, dont care for that one but can live with it. I think without these cuts, there would be bigger gaps to cover against the wall, think the cutting and threshold gave them some adjustment room, so OK.

They had to lay a thin underlayment over the wood floor due to they could not sufficiently remove the old glue. This is not apparent when looking at the floor, so OK. Quarter round trim was not used, at all. They instead caulked around the edge to wood cabinet areas and were able to slip the vinyl under the thin trim at the walls. Very happy with this as did not care for the quarter round. It appears the toilet was removed, no sign of repair there, good. They somehow went way under the slide, I cant see a seam or anything, not sure how that was done, very good.

There are a few very minor scuff marks and scratches on cabinets, the passenger seat, etc; probably from removing/bringing in vinyl. Would be nice if this hadnt happened, but can live with (minor).

I am happy with my repair and glad I had it done. But I can see having reservations about having such an invasive repair done. My stains were wide spread and not easily covered. Had they been concentrated to a single area that could easily be covered with a rug, it may make sense to not have this repair done. A consideration.

Attached a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
P1030349_v1.jpg   P1030351_v1.jpg   P1030352_v1.jpg  

Tags
rust