Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2022, 01:37 PM   #21

After reading all the posts here I decided to remove the tank from my 2005 Greyhawk 31SS. I had a leak in the fill port/valve and the only way to remove it is to remove the tank because there is not enough room to get a wrench in that location. I located a a powder coating business near my home. After loading it on my truck my wife noticed an odor(The tank was already empty so I removed the bleeder valve, fill port and shut off valve etc) I didn't notice it. I dropped it off for powder coating. They called me the next day and told me it was stinking and they were reticent to put the tank in the oven after powder application because it would stick up the whole shop. I did not need it back for a few weeks so they said the would attempt to "air it out"
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:44 PM   #22

(Continued from previous post)If that did not work they would not be able to finish. I asked if they could just media blast all the old paint and rust off and were sure they could then I would paint it with trailer coat. Looked for a replacement online an no one has on close to my tank in stock. Hopefully I can find a fill valve in the correct size. I might be replacing the steel gas line that feed all the appliances because it is very rusted. Wondering if I can use the flexible yellow gas line that is being used no days but secure it to the old steel line for support. Suggestions?
Old 10-29-2022, 02:05 PM   #23

I had to remove my rusty tank after a discovered that the fill valve was leaking.Thought about just replacing the tank but a new one is around $800 if I could get one. I then removed the tank with the intention of repainting it my self but wanted to get it powder coated first choice. But After removing all the fittings I found that the rust was more extensive so I located a powder coating company that was only 4 miles away. Transported it over there but they called me the next day and said it was still out gassing and it would stink up their shop. I pick it up and decided to paint it myself but left it sitting outside with all the holes covered. After about a month I no longer smelled propane so I took it back to the powder coating place and they did it for $150 and it was ready the next day. I still heeded a new fill valve and that took about a month to locate one. I will post later where I bought it. Enclosed is the before & after pics. I may coat the bottom with several coats of FlexSeal to protect against rocks . Here is the link for the fill port: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133655448013
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3579.jpg   IMG_3460(1).jpg   IMG_3448.jpg  
Old 10-29-2022, 05:10 PM   #24

Looks brand new! Would there be any way to wrap the bottom with 1/16" aluminum diamond plate as a rock barrier?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 05:26 PM   #25

Maybe fabricate a box out of diamond plate to encase the tank.