Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2023, 10:11 AM   #1

RV Airflow System

I have an Entegra Odyssey 30z with two 13.5 BTU Coleman A/C units. I made a post a couple of weeks ago about little to no flow from the non-entry side vents. I finally found the problem. The 1 inch separator in both units were not in place thus allowing the cold air and return air to mix thus decreasing flow volume. In my opinion, the factory separator system is poorly designed at best. After doing some research I decided to install the RV Airflow System in each A/C unit. What a huge difference. All vents now have strong airflow, the air is much cooler, and the noise is greatly reduced. Living in Arizona having a good working A/C system is a must!
Morris E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 10:48 AM   #2

I installed one in my trailer over a year ago, best thing I did for cooler air. More than doubled the air output of my Coleman 15k AC. Saved me from adding a second AC.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 02:42 PM   #3

Just installed RV Airflow System and the output of cold air has improved dramatically. It's puzzling as to why the manufacturers install such inefficient systems. There is a new product on the market called " A/C Connect by KOOLRV that costs less and looks like it would be effective. They were sold out when I found out about it.
grampacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 02:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampacc View Post
Just installed RV Airflow System and the output of cold air has improved dramatically. It's puzzling as to why the manufacturers install such inefficient systems. There is a new product on the market called " A/C Connect by KOOLRV that costs less and looks like it would be effective. They were sold out when I found out about it.

I did the DIY version and I agree - the results were dramatic for us.

Some time ago, I was told the RV industry pays their people by piece work. The faster they go... My baffle was just shoved together and taped to pass the "good enough until it's off the lot" test.
Old 09-26-2023, 04:01 PM   #5

I made my own watching some YouTube videos. I agree this has made a huge difference in not only getting better air flow through the RV but the ac’s don’t seem to have to run as long which will hopefully prolong the equipment
Greg Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris E View Post
I have an Entegra Odyssey 30z with two 13.5 BTU Coleman A/C units. I made a post a couple of weeks ago about little to no flow from the non-entry side vents. I finally found the problem. The 1 inch separator in both units were not in place thus allowing the cold air and return air to mix thus decreasing flow volume. In my opinion, the factory separator system is poorly designed at best. After doing some research I decided to install the RV Airflow System in each A/C unit. What a huge difference. All vents now have strong airflow, the air is much cooler, and the noise is greatly reduced. Living in Arizona having a good working A/C system is a must!
I was looking for a way to reduce the noise level of my rooftop A/C. I have a daughter with autism. She has noise sensitivity. Many fans, other than her favorite 'jet propulsion' sounding Dyson fans, bother her ears.

I read about this modification and considered the DIY method, then just said heck with it and bought the RVAirflow. I have a 14,500 Furrion. I wanted to install today, but experiencing a bit of rain, so it'll have to wait.

Knowing I'll be messing with the A/C's mounting bolts and having to properly tighten them back to torque specs, I ran over to Harbor Fright and got myself a nice little click-type torque wrench. It was $11.99 with the coupon this week.
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 05:06 PM   #7

Take photos of every thing you remove just for reference. I have a Coleman so I don't know if the Furrion is the same, but the Coleman has plastic tabs in each inside corner to judge the bolt tightness. When the tabs touch the top of the roof it's tight enough.

Somewhere I read (probably on a Forum) the bolts should be tightened to 40 Inch pounds, but when I did that the AC foam gasket was compressed way too much. I then backed off and re-tightened to about 22 inch pounds and the corner tabs were contacting to roof, so I called it good. Those bolts need to be re-tightened once a year because the AC foam gasket compresses with age. The RV Airflow website states: "What do I need to torque it to after installing? 20-30 Inch lbs."

Putting the bolts through the RV Airflow foam and getting them started into the AC can be challenging. Try not to move the AC unit when the bolts are loose. Another tip I did was to get a small dish of soapy water. I used this on the outside of the duct inserts and on the RV Airflow foam where it contacts the duct inserts. Seemed to help it slide right into place with minimal pushing.

Before I installed mine I took measurements on my 5 ceiling ducts. On my wind gauge I measured 8 to 9 mph. After installation I am measuring 16 to 18mph! RV Airflow saved me from buying a second AC. Our last trip to Lake Havasu State Park in Arizona a few weeks ago the outside temp hit 101 degrees. Inside with my 15k Coleman it held steady at 78 degrees, and that was without any shade.

If you get stuck on the installation call their Customer Support: Need to reach us? Email us at support@rvairflow.zendesk.com or call us directly at (574) 536-2472

https://rvairflow.com/pages/the-details

https://rvairflow.com/pages/copy-of-about-us

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 05-18-2024, 05:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Take photos of every thing you remove just for reference. I have a Coleman so I don't know if the Furrion is the same, but the Coleman has plastic tabs in each inside corner to judge the bolt tightness. When the tabs touch the top of the roof it's tight enough.

Somewhere I read (probably on a Forum) the bolts should be tightened to 40 Inch pounds, but when I did that the AC foam gasket was compressed way too much. I then backed off and re-tightened to about 22 inch pounds and the corner tabs were contacting to roof, so I called it good. Those bolts need to be re-tightened once a year because the AC foam gasket compresses with age. The RV Airflow website states: "What do I need to torque it to after installing? 20-30 Inch lbs."

Putting the bolts through the RV Airflow foam and getting the started into the AC can be challenging. Try not to move the AC unit when the bolts are loose. Another tip I did was to get a small dish of soapy water. I used this on the outside of the duct inserts and on the RV Airflow foam where it contacts the duct inserts. Seemed to help it slide right into place with minimal pushing.

Before I installed mine I took measurements on my 5 ceiling ducts. On my wind gauge I measured 8 to 9 mph. After installation I am measuring 16 to 18mph! RV Airflow saved me from buying a second AC. Our last trip to Lake Havasu State Park in Arizona a few weeks ago the outside temp hit 101 degrees. Inside with my 15k Coleman it held steady at 78 degrees, and that was without any shade.

GOOD LUCK!!
Thanks very much for those tips 66! Yeah getting those mounting bolts back through the foam and into the A/Cis the thought give me the most angst right now. I like the 'tip' they gave on the instruction card : Cut this card in half and slide it between the air duct inserts and the foam block, to alleviate any 'hang up' points.'
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
Old 05-18-2024, 05:34 PM   #9

The main issue of re-installing the bolts is that they are small, above your head and hard to line up. I helped a friend install his and he had a piece of threaded 1/4 inch rod about 2 feet long that made it much easier to align the holes properly. Once we got the rod started in the AC then it was easy to get the other mounting bolt started, took out the threaded rod and then inserted the second bolt.

Old 05-18-2024, 05:44 PM   #10

I found a photo I took while we were in Lake Havasu State Park to back up my statement in Post #7. This was taken before the outside temp peaked at 101 degrees about 1pm.
Attached Thumbnails
April 22, 2024.jpg  

Old 05-18-2024, 06:25 PM   #11

Wow. That's impressive!
I'm only in CT, but we can get pretty hot here too. Lately our summers have been scorchers. Plus, I camp at the beach, sometime at sites with no shade. My first goal is quieter operation, second is more efficient airflow.
When I was shopping for campers it was at the height of a heatwave here. I wasn't necessarily looking for a fiberglass skin camper, but noticed when entering the fiberglass models on the lot vs the stick and tin models, how much better the fiberglass models handled the heat. It was at that time I looked more toward the fiberglass option. I have a smaller camper, but it is 50 amp and prepped for a second A/C in the bedroom. I don't think I'll ever need it. This install will help that likely fact.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:44 AM   #12

Quote:
The main issue of re-installing the bolts is that they are small, above your head and hard to line up. I helped a friend install his and he had a piece of threaded 1/4 inch rod about 2 feet long that made it much easier to align the holes properly. Once we got the rod started in the AC then it was easy to get the other mounting bolt started, took out the threaded rod and then inserted the second bolt.
I like this idea. I will be installing the air flow system on our grey hawk, and will use the threaded rods.
pauldeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 11:37 PM   #13

Our adult son is on the spectrum too. The noise sensitivity has abated greatly over the years, thankfully. I did the 3D printed DIY version, but I don't think there was much change in the noise level.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Our adult son is on the spectrum too. The noise sensitivity has abated greatly over the years, thankfully. I did the 3D printed DIY version, but I don't think there was much change in the noise level.
Glad to know he's become less sensitive. It's a tough scenario. My daughter had ZERO sensitivities to any sound, then she turned 12 years old...each day/month year the sensitivities started to pile up. It's definitely sound sensitivities and a weird need to 'control' the sounds that come at her. This, the very reason I had to get a private bedroom floorpan.

If nothing else, I'll get better airflow through the ductwork.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:49 AM   #15

Yeah - looking back over the years, it's a bit astounding of the changes. I do remember thinking, many times "Will this <thing/tick/behavior> be forever?". So far, aside from the autism, everything seems to have changed for the better. Sometimes just a little, but it's a change in the right direction.

Oh yeah, there's something new from time to time. But apparently, "this too shall pass."

They say "when you've met a kid with autism, you've met >>one<< kid." Ain't that the truth.

We have so many friends in our community that are stuck at home. I just count it as a blessing that he's OK travelling. So far..........................

I love the airflow mod for the increased cooling!
Old 05-20-2024, 10:06 AM   #16

[QUOTE=pconroy;1162391]

Oh yeah, there's something new from time to time. But apparently, "this too shall pass."

They say "when you've met a kid with autism, you've met >>one<< kid." Ain't that the truth.

We have so many friends in our community that are stuck at home. I just count it as a blessing that he's OK travelling. So far.......................... /QUOTE]

TRUTH!
Luckily 'we' can dress ourselves, but sometimes backward clothes. This new trend of 'slip-ins' sneakers by Skechers is a Godsend! Looks like tied shoes, but she can just slip into them!

Same here w/ behaviors. There's been strange obsessive behaviors that take some time/months to pass but they do, only to be replaced with another odd behavior. She used to travel perfectly and LOVED hotels. Now? She'd stay in her room forever, if I allowed it. I am pretty stern with getting her to participate in as much as possible (camping)....at least to the point of absolute refusal.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:08 AM   #17

Quote:
I think I'm going to save myself some headache and frustration and just go pick up a single piece of this type rod. It's $12 and worth it, if it reduces my aggravation.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
From one autism parent to another... No one knows what our days are like, how they unfold. And it's my relentless prayer that no new parents join our club.

Old 05-21-2024, 09:33 AM   #19

Much cheaper and easier install.
https://koolrv.com/
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote