Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #1

RV Covers? Yay or Nay

We are thinking about getting an RV cover for our Redhawk 29xk. Good idea? Bad Idea? Why?
GForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
Site Team

This is one of those you either love them or hate them questions. I have used a cover in the past on my former Nash. It was cumbersome to put on, always snagging on something, would blow loose in a hard wind, and ended up rubbing marks in some areas of the siding. Now, it wasn't a custom made cover for the trailer and that probability contributed to some of my frustration with it.

I have decided to keep our new Jayco uncovered for now at least. I just don't want to deal with a cover anymore.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #3

If you have the room, you can't go wrong with a metal cover. It will pay you back in spades. Advantages include:
Dramatically slows water leaks so you can catch them early.
If you get a leak in the overhead bunk, average cost of repair is equal to the cost of the cover. Protects the tires from sun damage and decals from fading.
Protects the paint/clear coat. Enables you to work on the rig, and go in and out of it without sun or getting wet. Helps maintain the value of your rig. When you go to sell, and the buyer see's it covered, the sale is half made. There is no better investment in my opinion. Here's another added bonus. If you order the cover wider than need be, you have additional dry storage which really helps. Adds resale value to your home. An additional tip, if you can order it longer than your rig do so. Mine is 8 foot longer than the rig and really helps protect the front from the sun.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #4

dont have the room...
GForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
If you have the room, you can't go wrong with a metal cover. It will pay you back in spades. Advantages include:
Dramatically slows water leaks so you can catch them early.
If you get a leak in the overhead bunk, average cost of repair is equal to the cost of the cover. Protects the tires from sun damage and decals from fading.
Protects the paint/clear coat. Enables you to work on the rig, and go in and out of it without sun or getting wet. Helps maintain the value of your rig. When you go to sell, and the buyer see's it covered, the sale is half made. There is no better investment in my opinion. Here's another added bonus. If you order the cover wider than need be, you have additional dry storage which really helps. Adds resale value to your home. An additional tip, if you can order it longer than your rig do so. Mine is 8 foot longer than the rig and really helps protect the front from the sun.
Where did you get it and what brand is it?
Do you leave it up all year?
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce View Post
We are thinking about getting an RV cover for our Redhawk 29xk. Good idea? Bad Idea? Why?
I cover mine with one of these since 2008 and have been happy with the results come spring.

they will probably last 5 seasons each, depending on quality.
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Trailer-Co...node=155314011
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
Site Team

We cover our TT every fall about this time. First it gets a good cleaning and time to dry. In the spring it looks just as good when uncovered. Major up points for us 1) keeps it from sun damage 2) keeps water out of the rolled up awning, so it doesn't get moldy 3) all clean for spring, with no black streaks. The tires get covers, too. Just what we do to protect it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
Where did you get it and what brand is it?
Do you leave it up all year?
Here's mine. I got it from an outfit in Salem Oregon called Western metal carports( I might have the wording wrong) It cost $6000 and is 40 long,14wide, and 12 high. Plenty of room to store stuff on the covered side also. Search RV carports in your area you'll find them. It's anchored to the ground every few feet with two types of anchors about two feet deep. Yes it stays up all year.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0142.jpg   IMG_0143.jpg  
Old 10-23-2017, 05:32 PM   #9

I do cover mine for all the same reasons. Procedures are the same as well. Someday I hope to be able to afford a steel enclosure but until then it's just a plain old RV cover..
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0463.jpg  
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #10

Cover it, straps (included) allow you to cinch the cover snug so there is no"flapping". Tires get covered also, tires get an extra10lbspressure. Keeping the sun off is the main reason, helps retain nice graphics (decals) and nice color on your walls, helps roof also.
If I had the option, I'd go with an oversized car port with sides , but for the present moment the cloth cover will make do.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #11

I used to use a cover but once almost falling off the roof I said no more up went the metal building
Attached Thumbnails
shed.jpg  
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #12

Che57vy, what you have is essentially as good as mine. You have the back blocked off and those side covers. Maybe one more run across that side on top and your set. Another thing I did with my smaller cover, is I bought matching metal and color and did the side myself. I drilled holes where I needed and used rivets to attach. I used the big squeezer with the flat head rivets.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:04 PM   #13

I enclosed the back and the half of the South side myself, used self tapping screws. I get hardly any weather on the North side the one that is open. The back side faces West where most of my worst storms come from it was a life saver and RV saver the cost was paid in 12 mos. cost of RV storage here, 120 mo.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote