Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #1

Rv dish tv

I know nothing about them but we want to purchase one. Cable tv in campgrounds stinks. Need help choosing a moderate priced unit... We have a 2019 jayco class c
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
CAG

Are you looking for a roof mounted dish or something like the Tailgator that you can set out on the ground or a small platform.

There are a multitude of choices and it might be better to do some Google research on RV satellite and after doing some reading narrow it down and come back and ask for feedback on specific units. With this shotgun approach you are going to get a mind boggling number of choices.

I use a Tailgator (DISH) there are other specific to Directv. Roof top units restrict you to open air above, so you cannot park under trees, but all have their benefits and negatives.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #3

Thanks i know the question is wide open, the choices are mind boggling. Will look at tailgator
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
CAG

If you already have DISH service it is a simple $7 a month fee for the additional receiver. If not the service can be turned on and off but you pay for a full month each time at a higher price. Other systems for Directv allow you to add another receiver, or just take one from home with you but the dish is bulky, heavy and annoying to set up and you can only get nonHD without the big dish to carry around.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
CAG

Roof top stuff is something I was never interested in because it does limit where you can park, and in Arizona not parking under trees can be a very hot RV even with the air going. We boondocked enough that trees were important.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post

I use a Tailgator (DISH) there are other specific to Directv. Roof top units restrict you to open air above, so you cannot park under trees, but all have their benefits and negatives.
Correct me, but doesn't the Tailgator also have a quick disconnect mount for the roof? When I was doing research last year, there was a dish that can reside on the roof for transit, but had a quick disconnect bracket that allowed it to be removed, like in the case of the trees, and moved to a different location.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:05 PM   #7

but when in Arizona... you learn to park to the east of the trees - for shade in the Summer afternoon sun.

And in winter... you want the sunlight in AZ, so you never park with the tree to your south to avoid the shade. Works great with Dish - trees never park there.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:57 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
but when in Arizona... you learn to park to the east of the trees - for shade in the Summer afternoon sun.

And in winter... you want the sunlight in AZ, so you never park with the tree to your south to avoid the shade. Works great with Dish - trees never park there.
I’ve been here 50+ years. Arizona sun can be about as warm in the winter if park in it. And unlike most snowbirds I’m not camping in the winter.

My Tailgator is not a roof mount but that may be available, I’m not sure.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:23 PM   #9

I have a DISH tailgater pro and mount it on a tripod designed for portable sat dishes. I am very happy with it. You only pay when you use it (month at a time). I did not roof mount it as that would restrict the capability of it. The handle on the dish needs to face north for it to work properly for finding satellites. On a roof mount the handle faces the front of your motorhome so if your motorhome isn't pointing north when parked you will have issues in reception. For a small fee you can also add the local over the air channels to the package you subscribe to. If TV viewing is something that is important to you in your camper travels, I recommend the tailgater pro.
Retired first responder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:04 AM   #10

Been tailgating with a directv system for years

Get a big dish off ebay, like $59, a tripod, bring a receiver from home..
A satalite finder, or just do it with a compass like I do

Takes me longer to set up my dish than find the satilite, like 10min total

I put the dish on my overhead bunk I converted to storage not sleeping,... Easy peasy

I'll run 3 tv outside durring football season...oh ya

Or the traveler for $1800 but don't mount it on your roof

Sun does suck in AZ cuz trees are your friend
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
I know nothing about them but we want to purchase one. Cable tv in campgrounds stinks. Need help choosing a moderate priced unit... We have a 2019 jayco class c
We have the Playmaker and Wally receiver, cost about $300 total. I find being able to move the dish around helps getting the signal. I can put it on the roof if I need to. Never had to so far 3.5 years. If I go over 25' cable I can't get a constant signal. 50' cable always had trouble so I don't even bother with 50'. I pay for 30 days at a time. If we're only gone a week, I call and suspend our service, getting a credit for the three weeks I didn't use.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:49 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamdrdream
We use the King One Pro. Always easy setup and works with a 50ft cable. Sometimes you need to get clear of obstacles. Most only seem to work with 25ft. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6788.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	64509
Iamdrdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #13
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamdrdream View Post
We use the King One Pro. Always easy setup and works with a 50ft cable. Sometimes you need to get clear of obstacles. Most only seem to work with 25ft. Attachment 64509

The cheap coax that comes with them is the problem. I have a 100 ft length that works fine but it is better coax then a higher price.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #14

We have a Winegard Pathway X2 with a Wally receiver that is simple to set up and works well. I don't know if I would call it moderately priced or not but we bought the Pathway off Craigslist and got it for a reasonable price.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #15

I prefer HD tv...

So a real DirecTV dish is my go to,and it has 4 outlets so that means 4 tvs without any power splitter
Old 10-15-2020, 08:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
The cheap coax that comes with them is the problem. I have a 100 ft length that works fine but it is better coax then a higher price.
True Statement! I replaced all the cable in my camper with solid copper and I made 2 new 50 foot leads for my tailgater Pro from the same wire. Made all the difference in the world!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
Been tailgating with a directv system for years

Get a big dish off ebay, like $59, a tripod, bring a receiver from home..
A satalite finder, or just do it with a compass like I do

Takes me longer to set up my dish than find the satilite, like 10min total

I put the dish on my overhead bunk I converted to storage not sleeping,... Easy peasy

I'll run 3 tv outside durring football season...oh ya

Or the traveler for $1800 but don't mount it on your roof

Sun does suck in AZ cuz trees are your friend
This. Is. Me. 3 games going at once and a cooler full of beer. You know, because the fridge is a piece of crap.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:17 AM   #18

I have the KingPro II Dish, now you can get the equipment but getting it to play in your unit is another, mines didn't work unless I did some mod to it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:11 AM   #19

The installations is the biggest part of making it work. You've got to remember to have a direct connection between the satellite dish and the receiver. There can be coax connections, but no splitters or boosters. As others said, unless you run it through a window or door, you may need to do some modifications. All the information you need is on this site or out on the net. just take your time and you'll be successful. There is an "APP" for smart phones called "DishPointer Pro" that will show you where the satellites are in the sky. This is a real plus when setting up.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #20

For directv into your rv. At the cable connection inside, where the booster switch is for the roof antenna, remove the screws and you will see two coax connected there.
One is for roof antenna, one is the cable connection on the outside of the RV
Connect the satellite dish to the outside, then connect your DirecTV Receiver inside to that coax

Easy peasy