Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2020, 06:46 PM   #1

RV Mud flap/ tow shield

I’m thinking of adding a Smart Solutions 01696 Rock Solid Towed Vehicle Shield to my Redhawk. I don’t like the ones mounted on the bumper or to the receiver, I just don’t like the look. I would like to have it mounted just behind the rear tires. I found a clear spot on the chassis by the black tank to run angle iron to attach the mud flap. Has anyone done this type of installation? Do you have photos or a method in which you installed it?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
Site Team

I made a set of homemade ones and used angle iron inside the hitch brackets on each side. They look pretty good IMO. Bought a piece of rubber from Tractor Supply for the flaps.

There are some pics on another thread if you want to see, I'll have to look it up.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I made a set of homemade ones and used angle iron inside the hitch brackets on each side. They look pretty good IMO. Bought a piece of rubber from Tractor Supply for the flaps.

There are some pics on another thread if you want to see, I'll have to look it up.
Yes!, please. I would like to see them! Trying to gather as much info as I can. Looking to protect my toad.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #4

As you consider the mounting... remember that you may sometime be backing up and pinch the flap between the tire and an unintended object that will put that mud-flap in a situation where it will be torn from the mounting if you back up another 4-inches.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
As you consider the mounting... remember that you may sometime be backing up and pinch the flap between the tire and an unintended object that will put that mud-flap in a situation where it will be torn from the mounting if you back up another 4-inches.
The mounting location is 2-3 feet away from the tires, but I did not think of that. Thank you.

I might just purchase a horse mat from Tractor Supply and make my own like others have done.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #6

My other question is what do most people recommend for a class C? I have found these 3;

1. I’ve read the solid Rubber ones “sail”,, that is they lift off the ground as you drive which makes no sense to me.

2.Then they make rubber ones with slices in them. I guess they let wind through and sail less, but do they also let debris slip through?

3.And then there’s the ones that are the whisker type. Which do people recommend?

And does the mounting position matter? I prefer the look where they are mounted a bit behind the rear wheels. Bumper mount looks good on a DP but not so much on class C.