Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2020, 04:04 PM   #1

RV will not accept ground power

Newbie here...tried the search feature & FAQ with no luck!

New to me, 2006 Seneca 35zx toyhauler. Unit will not accept ground power. Confirmed ground power is working (240v). Having trouble locating a wiring diagram to determine if there is a breaker or fuse that would be inline to control ground power.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks,

Mike
MBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #2

Are you at a campground plugged into their 50-amp outlet?

Have you checked the main breakers in your power center?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #3

A 50-amp 4-prong RV outlet will have 220-volts hot to hot, but RV's use the two legs separately since all appliances are 120-volt such as the air conditioner(s), microwave, TVs, the electric side of the water heater (if applicable) and the power converter.

If you have just a three-prong outlet and measure 220-volts it is NOT wired correctly for an RV. That is for a welder and will damage an RV. An RV 30-amp 3 prong outlet is only 120-volts.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:29 PM   #4

Does the unit power up from the onboard generator (if so equipped)?
Old 06-09-2020, 05:40 PM   #5

Have you located your electrical panel/converter? Is the main breaker on? Are any of the breakers on? Do you own a meter and have you checked for 240v hot to hot and 120v hot to neutral at the line side lugs in the panel?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:53 AM   #6

It does power up from the generator.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:56 AM   #7

We have not been able to locate a breaker panel...but have been told it may be under the pantry on our zx. Will be able to check later this morning.
Voltages on ground power plug are correct as you describe.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2020, 04:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBlair View Post
We have not been able to locate a breaker panel...but have been told it may be under the pantry on our zx. Will be able to check later this morning.
Voltages on ground power plug are correct as you describe.

Thanks
1st, what are you calling Ground power? Is this a campground shore power or a plug at your house. If a campground it is called a Pedestal. PED for short. If everything works on generator then the main breaker in the breaker box is fine.Problem would be at the Transfer Switch. By everything do you have 120 volt outlets, A/C. Lights are 12 volts. The panel you are looking for is usually near the floor with an obvious cover over it. About 12" x 12". It will have a 50 amp main two pole breaker and 6 - 8 smaller single pole breakers. Usually under the fridge, stove, Pantry. Some under the bed. You must start by reading the voltage at the PED and work your way back to the breaker panel checking EVERY connection in order. PED, RV cord, RV connection, Transfer Switch, main breaker box. (which is fine IF everything works on GEN)

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:09 AM   #9

Quote:
It does power up from the generator.
That tells us that the main house breakers are (probably) okay and that there is an issue with shore power getting through to your system. Several things may be the culprit.
1. Did the prior owner mention the unit has an EMS (Electrical Management System) installed? Those monitor shore power and will prevent a connection or cut off power if it sees something it doesn't like, or if it has failed.
2. Defective transfer switch that isn't switching over to shore power.
3. A problem in the shore power cord or in the connection up to the transfer switch.

Your problem requires troubleshooting of the 120-volt system which requires one to be very careful, these systems can kill. If you are not 100% comfortable working with AC voltage it may be time to get some help to figure out what is going on.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:07 PM   #10

Confirmed voltages from shore power were correct (240 between hot, 120 each leg to neutral). We found breaker panel under drawer in kitchen, removed shore power, reset main breaker, inverter breaker & converter breaker, plugged shore power back in and all is working now.

Not sure about EMS...previous owner was not very knowledgable about the RV.

Thanks for the help.

Now troubleshooting why liftgate & leveling jacks dont want to work. Ive read where I need to be in park or neutral with parking break on & engine running. Do you know if leveling jacks have to be down for Thieman TVL16 liftgate will function. It works if we jump the solinoid but seems like its looking for other critieria to be in place to work as designed.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:35 PM   #11

Glad the power is now working, hopefully it keeps working reliably.

I can't help with those other issues, considerably different from my unit for sure. Good luck, happy travels!
Old 06-11-2020, 04:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Confirmed voltages from shore power were correct (240 between hot, 120 each leg to neutral). We found breaker panel under drawer in kitchen, removed shore power, reset main breaker, inverter breaker & converter breaker, plugged shore power back in and all is working now.

Not sure about EMS...previous owner was not very knowledgable about the RV.

Thanks for the help.

Now troubleshooting why liftgate & leveling jacks dont want to work. Ive read where I need to be in park or neutral with parking break on & engine running. Do you know if leveling jacks have to be down for Thieman TVL16 liftgate will function. It works if we jump the solinoid but seems like its looking for other critieria to be in place to work as designed.
Sorry, never heard of a liftgate system. Yes, leveling jack have many safety lockout devices to prevent them from being deployed while you are driving. You need to read your manual.

here is some information on Surge Protection. REMEMBER, surge Protection amd EMs are two different things. EMS has built in surge protection.

https://www.technorv.com/articles/do...rge-protector/

https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-...o0_1M3_i4tQ-P0

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:50 AM   #13

Quote:

You can download the Owners Manual from JAYCO's website.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2006-seneca-hd-m/
Old 06-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #14

I would think that you would always want your Seneca to be on the wheels supporting the suspension (not on leveling jacks) when loading / unloading with the lift gate. The lateral motion of a vehicle being moved might cause issues with the jacks if they are extended.

They may have put a lockout in the lift-gate controls that prevents it from being operated when jacks are down.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #15

Hi MBlair and welcome to the site,

I have the same exact unit as you do and my liftgate stopped working a few months ago, I had to jump it to get it back to storage mode and surprisingly my leveling system isn't powered now either. Have you solved the problem yet? I spoke to the Theiman tech's who were very helpful but couldn't figure out my issue.
I replaced the solenoid inside the rear taillights area,but wasn't the cure. They did pass along a couple of schematics I'll send you if you want.

Thanks!
SINAPU11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:50 PM   #16

and another thing I wanted to mention is, I have a feeling that it has something to do with the box where your remote pendant for the liftgate is located. I replaced the fuse in the box but that didn't work either.
Attached Thumbnails
20191225_204443.jpg   20200615_105544.jpg  
Old 06-17-2020, 04:34 PM   #17

Looks like a relay is missing.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:49 PM   #18

yes it is, that's when I pulled it out, good observation though